My luck... rear housing effeddd? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By thedirtman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 11-04-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

My luck... rear housing effeddd?

Heard some shit on the way home today.. drove through the noises and checked when I got home. Tore the rear down to find the shaft being held in only by the brakes... ok wtf.... I take the brakes off and the retainer only to find there's nothing left of the bearing, seal, or the bearing retainer thing. The housing is ovaled out where the bearing seats.. anyway to fix something like this or is the housing fucked? I'm going to pick up wontons Thursday but I wasn't looking forward to doing it right away... has anyone seen some shit like this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-04-2016, 04:34 PM
Granite Guru

How many miles is on that setup? Looks like the bearing has been toast for a while, obviously.

ºlllllllº '15 JKU
post #3 of 13 Old 11-04-2016, 07:04 PM
JKO Addict!

convert to full float.

Some build info here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-04-2016, 10:11 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
I'm going to pick up wontons Thursday but I wasn't looking forward to doing it right away... has anyone seen some shit like this before?
Shit Chuck, nothing a grinder can't fix. I was going to pick up some wontons yesterday but changed my mind and egg rolls.

Sorry to hear this Chuck. Good your tons are not that far away.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #5 of 13 Old 11-05-2016, 01:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Teraflex full float conversation. Jam
It in there weld it up done lol

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #6 of 13 Old 11-05-2016, 05:12 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

geezus ! That had to have made some manner of unique noise as the bearing shit the bed and the shaft egged out the housing that much? You are maybe less sensitive to grinding noises tho , Chuck

I'd look at rear housing take off s or on eBay maybe unless you're in the po$ition to upgrade to the full float TF conversion ( but it's eight lug , as you know ) . Sorry, dude . That's a fucker of a surprise ...

<edit2: I searched and there are rear d44 take offs t be found . I wondered if Currie maybe had some kit or upgrade -and they have all manner of the bearing and plates - but I don't know about building the damaged tube ends back up enough >

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 11-05-2016 at 05:58 AM.
post #7 of 13 Old 11-05-2016, 09:00 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
... has anyone seen some shit like this before?
Hey Chuck,
Any chance your diff. vent was plugged?

I know you've hammered your Jeep into deep mud and/or water
If the diff. housing is hot (from you hauling ass to the water hole/mud bog), it sucks in a lot of air when it hits water and cools off.
If the vent was blocked, it sucked water/mud in through bearings (doesn't even need to be enough to foul the diff. lube noticeably).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Teraflex full float conversation. Jam
It in there weld it up done lol
I hope you were kidding, because 1800 bucks is an expensive fookin' Band Aid before implementing this:
Quote:
I'm going to pick up wontons Thursday but I wasn't looking forward to doing it right away
Don't get me wrong, Ken - I dig the Teraflex full float setup, but I don't dig it 3500 bucks' worth.
For that kind of bread, you're already theees →← close to

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #8 of 13 Old 11-05-2016, 09:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Do you still give the same advice you have given in the past about running 37's on stock axles?
ExWrench likes this.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
post #9 of 13 Old 11-05-2016, 09:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Hey Chuck,

If the diff. housing is hot (from you hauling ass to the water hole/mud bog), it sucks in a lot of air when it hits water and cools off.

If the vent was blocked, it sucked water/mud in through bearings (doesn't even need to be enough to foul the diff. lube noticeably).

I hope you were kidding, because 1800 bucks is an expensive fookin' Band Aid before implementing this:

Don't get me wrong, Ken - I dig the Teraflex full float setup, but I don't dig it 3500 bucks' worth.

Not really a bandaid but yes kidding

2 door Rubicon, 3.5" RockKrawler x-factor, 37x12.5x17 MTR's, Steer Smarts Yeti steering, Savvy aluminum half doors.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #10 of 13 Old 11-05-2016, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Do you still give the same advice you have given in the past about running 37's on stock axles?

I've never advised running 37s on stock diffs. I knew there would be problems and anticipated them. They lasted me through the wheeling season so I have nothing to complain about really. They have cost me a lot of time, but not so much financially as everything was continually warrantied.
I will say that I am a bit disappointed the rear went this way, but I wouldn't exactly blame this on "running 37s".

All that being said: yes it was making some crazy noises on the way home. I noticed yesterday morning the seal was bad as the wheel well was covered in gear oil. I figured the noise was just the seal.. it is what it is. I don't think I'll have a problem with the bearing... I think the problem will be getting the axle to seal. I think I'm gonna try to use rtv on the seal where the housing is egged out and let it sit overnight to dry before I drive it.

post #11 of 13 Old 11-05-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Hey Chuck,

That is excellent information.. I'll check when I get home. It very well may be. Thanks for the help brother.

post #12 of 13 Old 11-12-2016, 06:19 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I've never advised running 37s on stock diffs. I knew there would be problems and anticipated them. They lasted me through the wheeling season so I have nothing to complain about really. They have cost me a lot of time, but not so much financially as everything was continually warrantied.
I will say that I am a bit disappointed the rear went this way, but I wouldn't exactly blame this on "running 37s".

All that being said: yes it was making some crazy noises on the way home. I noticed yesterday morning the seal was bad as the wheel well was covered in gear oil. I figured the noise was just the seal.. it is what it is. I don't think I'll have a problem with the bearing... I think the problem will be getting the axle to seal. I think I'm gonna try to use rtv on the seal where the housing is egged out and let it sit overnight to dry before I drive it.

I'd stare long and hard at that axle end. That is where the bearing race lives, and if it's ovaled you won't be supporting the new race properly. That race will oval quickly and you'll be chewing up that new bearing in no time. The 4 bolts do nothing to support your axle/wheel, they only serve to locate the seal and retain the axle.

2007 JKU Sahara........................... 2015 JKU Sahara
5.3/6l80E......................................2.5" Rock Krawler Expedition Stage-1
Teraflex 44 front, Stock 44 rear........35's
Bastard lift
Totaled; being rebuilt
post #13 of 13 Old 11-12-2016, 10:29 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by D94R View Post
I'd stare long and hard at that axle end. That is where the bearing race lives, and if it's ovaled you won't be supporting the new race properly. That race will oval quickly and you'll be chewing up that new bearing in no time. The 4 bolts do nothing to support your axle/wheel, they only serve to locate the seal and retain the axle.

When installed the race is a good 3/8" from the edge of the tube. The surface where the race sits was unharmed. I deburred the damaged area and reinstalled a new bearing, used some "1 minute set gasket" around the sewing surface and it's been good so far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode