Old Man Emu Lift ? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 09-20-2008, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question Old Man Emu Lift ?

Has anyone installed the OME 2.5 lift kit. Hows it perform and are you satisfied w/ it? Any feedback would be helpful , I think this is going to be my next mod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 09-20-2008, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Before purchasing the OME, you might want to research the feedback from Poly Performance and Teraflex owners. Many JK owners seem to be very happy with these companies. I know that they both have great customer service as well. Totally not saying anything negative about OME. Just study up before throwing down the coin. I hate hearing about people that felt they didn't get what they paid for, or that are unhappy with their choice. I love my Rubicon Express lift, however...if I had it all to do again...I would've likely gone with a Poly Performance Synergy kit. They really research and test their products in hardcore conditions, and they have great support. JMO

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #3 of 16 Old 09-22-2008, 10:14 AM
14ers

I think Woods might have some knowledge on this subject. Look him up.

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 09-22-2008, 11:35 AM
Granite Guru

I have OME HD. I love it. Rides Great. Install was easy. I have front and rear JKS Adj. trackbars. I'd do it again. I bought mine because I didn't want to go higher, I got about 3.5" to 3.75" out of it. I have stock bumpers though. It should settle out to 2.5" after I add stuff in the future. "IF" I would have wanted to go higher I would have bought a different kit.

I haven't had the chance to test it on the trail yet, but others have and I haven't heard many, or any IIRC, complaints.

07 JK Unlimited X - 24s, Soft, Auto, 4:10's, Saraha 18's. OME Springs and Shocks, JKS Front and Rear Adj. Bars, JKS Disco's, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, Mopar Trail Guide.

01 WJ Limited -- Gone to make room for JK Unlimited!

01 TJ for me and my son-----BYE BYE TJ see you on the trails someday....

.__0_0_0_0
[l_,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)---)_)
post #5 of 16 Old 09-30-2008, 11:14 AM
jpp

I have that lift. HD up front and MD in the rear. Dirk at DPG suggested the HD to support the weight of the ARB bumper up front. He was right on. The ride is good, but I don't consider it life altering. I put the JKS track bars on it, but I still have a little tail wag when shifting gears. I think addressing the track bar geometry with a new axle backet may help, so I am going to try that next. For the price, it could use a few more parts. If I were to do it over again, I would try to take a ride in a JK with some other lifts first and compare. Specifically, some kits with progresive rate springs. I like a cush ride.
post #6 of 16 Old 09-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Granite Guru

Talking

The OME lifts ride great...but, the shocks are barely longer than stock...so the flex sucks.

IE: They ride great, but you lose contact with the ground off road about like a stock JK.

A LONGER OME shock is supposed to be here soon...and available to the masses etc...but, I have no specs on it, other than its intended for a taller OME lift, like 3-4" or so.

I believe that the shock is reported to be ALSO usable on the 2-2.5" OME lifts too, which, if the new shock is long enough, etc...IT should be the std shock for ALL OME's lift kits for the JK.

- TEEJ

2008 JK 4 Dr X. 5 Speed, LSD, JKS QD, 3.73 Diffs. Husky Liners and Daystar Hood Wranglers. Pine Stripes.
post #7 of 16 Old 09-30-2008, 02:43 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEEJ View Post
The OME lifts ride great...but, the shocks are barely longer than stock...so the flex sucks.

IE: They ride great, but you lose contact with the ground off road about like a stock JK.

A LONGER OME shock is supposed to be here soon...and available to the masses etc...but, I have no specs on it, other than its intended for a taller OME lift, like 3-4" or so.

I believe that the shock is reported to be ALSO usable on the 2-2.5" OME lifts too, which, if the new shock is long enough, etc...IT should be the std shock for ALL OME's lift kits for the JK.

I think "sux" is a little extreme here. Sure you're going to get some limitation to the amount of droop. But droop is only half of the equation. Granted it's marginally the more important half. The OME springs compress REALLY well. We're talking about a lift that generally runs a little more than 3". Yet it does not use any bump stop extensions. So the Flex is pretty good. The droop is not so good.

Also keep in mind that if you intend to run 35" tires, don't look at the OME like it's a 3", or even 2" kit. Considering that it does not have any bump stop extensions, it's the same thing as running no lift, when fully compressed. I've been thinking about coming up with a mod kit for the OME lift, that would allow 35" tires. This would included a shock mount relocation kit, bump stop extensions, brake lines and coil spacers. I've not run the numbers yet, but this setup may produce some impressive RTI scores.

Woods Storage Tub Enlargement Kit - Steering Stabilizer Relocation Kit - Evap Can Relocation Kit Muffler Relocation Kit - Tailgate Shock Kit
Buy Woods Kits at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 16 Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods View Post
I think "sux" is a little extreme here. Sure you're going to get some limitation to the amount of droop. But droop is only half of the equation. Granted it's marginally the more important half. The OME springs compress REALLY well. We're talking about a lift that generally runs a little more than 3". Yet it does not use any bump stop extensions. So the Flex is pretty good. The droop is not so good.

Also keep in mind that if you intend to run 35" tires, don't look at the OME like it's a 3", or even 2" kit. Considering that it does not have any bump stop extensions, it's the same thing as running no lift, when fully compressed. I've been thinking about coming up with a mod kit for the OME lift, that would allow 35" tires. This would included a shock mount relocation kit, bump stop extensions, brake lines and coil spacers. I've not run the numbers yet, but this setup may produce some impressive RTI scores.
I'd probably buy it...I'm planning on 35's with my OME kit.

07 JK Unlimited X - 24s, Soft, Auto, 4:10's, Saraha 18's. OME Springs and Shocks, JKS Front and Rear Adj. Bars, JKS Disco's, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, Mopar Trail Guide.

01 WJ Limited -- Gone to make room for JK Unlimited!

01 TJ for me and my son-----BYE BYE TJ see you on the trails someday....

.__0_0_0_0
[l_,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)---)_)
post #9 of 16 Old 09-30-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Great info

Thank you to everyone for the input,and Woods,you have my business as long as I have my JK, bought your Evap.relo.kit, worked great. The steering stabilizer relo kit is next(trashed mine the last time I was out)Are you considering adding any skid plates to your line? If you ever go public I'm buyin stock. I think I'm down to either the OME or TeraFlex kit. Hopefully will get it installed over the winter.
post #10 of 16 Old 09-30-2008, 07:52 PM
Granite Guru

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woods View Post

LOL

OK, "Roughly stock wheel travel" then.

I agree with the SL's in general not really being a good way to mount larger tires,as they just raise the ride height...and a good compressing coil, the kind that also gives a nice smooth ride, etc...to me, means that a better approach to fitting 35's on compression would simply be a BL. That would avoid up-travel robbing bumpstop extensions, and, if the shock compressed enough anyway...no stop extension would be required.

Figure the stock arms (Disco'd) limit you to shock travel of ~ 16" fully compressed, to about 27" fully drooped (~ 11" travel shock...)...and to get that travel, all you have to do is unclip the wire and brake lines, diff breathers, etc...and let it go to full extension, then re-clip them in the new locations that allow a more direct route. (So ~ 16" to 27" range shocks...)

On full opposite stuffage (One side drooped/one stuffed), the inside tire edges will be hitting inboard components...so some wheel spacers or rims with less BS would help improve articulation as well.

With the front disco'd...and a set of longer rear sway links to allow the rear to flex better...I think your kit would be a low budget RTI champ....and truly capable of keeping the tires on the ground through the twisties.

I think coil spacers and bumpstop extensions would hinder RTI performance, as you need more droop if you take away uptravel, to get the same overall distance between the tire on the ground, and the one up on the rock or ramp, etc. (Well, the coil spacer approach would be ok in of itself, if the coil can still compress enough etc...)

Shock relocation brackets, if the intent is to use a shorter shock to be able to droop the tire lower, works only if the shock can still compress enough on uptravel...otherwise, it would require up travel robbing bump stop extensions, etc.

Longer brake lines may not be needed if the existing ones are re-routed...the wires are also involved if longer runs prove to be required by new found flex, etc....so longer wire runs would probably be needed if longer brake lines are needed.

So - overall - to take advantage of those great stuffing coils...don't limit stuffage....maximize it, as, as you pointed out, stuffage is half the battle.

- TEEJ

2008 JK 4 Dr X. 5 Speed, LSD, JKS QD, 3.73 Diffs. Husky Liners and Daystar Hood Wranglers. Pine Stripes.

Last edited by TEEJ; 09-30-2008 at 08:03 PM.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Attachment 11190

Old Man Emu W/Long travel Shocks

Last edited by ricrac12525; 01-06-2010 at 11:27 AM.
post #12 of 16 Old 09-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Granite Guru

I have the OME HD lift with there Long travel shocks, JKS adjustable track bars, and swaybar end links, Currie Rock jock adj. UCA, TF extended bump stops, crown extended brake lines. Gave me almost 3.5" of lift, the ride to me is better than stock. As for the flex I seem to have plenty. Northridge sells this as a complete kit and it works great. Feel free to delete the above mentioned vendor if I broke any rules just trying to help out.

35" KM2's with 37's in the near future!

Good luck.

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken." Psalm 62:1-2
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Last edited by TCOTTON; 09-02-2009 at 08:09 PM.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-03-2009, 02:30 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCOTTON View Post
Feel free to delete the above mentioned vendor if I broke any rules just trying to help out.
You're not on jk-forum with the WayofStrife gestapo- LOL. This is the free world over here! I also try to be polite about mentioning other vendors here.

I use the OME lift with 35" KM2s also - but in July 2008 no extended shocks available and was incorrectly told I would not need bumpstops. I never had a problem but my last trip to the Rubicon was the first time I added 2 passengers in the back seat to my usual few hundred pounds of tools/equipment. My rear passenger tire slashed on that nasty body lip in the wheel well. Given previous trips - this surprised and confused me since I know I have fully flexed the rear wheels before - added weight must have compressed the bump stops an extra inch.

So I'm getting bumpstop extensions. Fortunately the slash is only partway into lugs so it is now my spare.

A question with that added droop - the ABS lines are not very long on mine so do you have any problems with them at full droop?

EDIT: There is a thread titled "OME Lift ?" over in the Modified JK Tech Dept. section so I posted the question over there.

Clinging to God and my Jeep keys since 11/10/2007
Lifetime membership: BlueRibbon Coalition, United Four Wheel Drive Associations (UFWDA),
California Association of 4WD Clubs (CA4WDC) - Get involved in Land Use or its no use!

Last edited by chasinternet; 09-03-2009 at 02:44 AM.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-03-2009, 04:50 AM
Granite Guru

I checked the lines at full droop when I was at the shop and had the JK on the rack and everything checked out OK. There was a lot of tension on the ABS lines but nothing came loose. It also gave me a chance to check out the routing of my other lines and make some changes.

"My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken." Psalm 62:1-2
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke
post #15 of 16 Old 09-03-2009, 04:54 AM
Granite Guru

I didn't think it would matter me mentioning a non sponsering vendor knowing this forum, but I didn't want to step on anyones toes. I would certainly try and find the same products from a sponsering vendor going forward.

post #16 of 16 Old 09-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCOTTON View Post
I didn't think it would matter me mentioning a non sponsering vendor knowing this forum, but I didn't want to step on anyones toes. I would certainly try and find the same products from a sponsering vendor going forward.
I got all my OME parts from 4wheelparts, the same kit Northridge sells and yes
I saved some $$.

2008 JKU Rubicon, AEV, Rock Krawler, Poly Performance, Poison Spyder

Last edited by Jboss; 09-03-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode