Auto transmission shifts terrible! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ori

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 10-16-2016, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
ori
Wheeler

Auto transmission shifts terrible!

I've got a 2015 2dr with 4.56 gears and 37's. The transmission shifts like crap!! It's seems to always be in the wrong gear. Shifts out to over drive WAY too soon then lugs and down shifts but drops to 3rd then shifts up to 4th! Did this when is was stock also. It drives me crazy !! I had a 2013 JKU that also had crappy shifting!

Does anyone know if there is a way to correct this? And the extremely terrible throttle response?? I've gotten to the point that I manually shift the jeep everytime I drive it.

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-16-2016, 01:07 PM
Rock God

Tuners help a little depending on what you expect , professional tuners can do wonders with the newer JK transmissions , consider yourself fortunate that you don't have the early 4-speed , they are bordering on boat anchors .
post #3 of 16 Old 10-16-2016, 03:34 PM
Granite Guru

Cool

Get a Superchips FlashCal, your auto trans thinks you are still running stock tires and gearing.... your shifts points are all wrong, FlashCal will fix ya right up (just enter your gear ratio and tire size)

Probably the best $$$ I've spent on my JK. after the lift and tires of course

Products |
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 10-16-2016, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

i've got the aforementioned crappy 4 speed auto that began life in my 2011 JKUr on OEM wheels/tires with the original 4.10 gearing and now runs 37s with 5.13s .It drives great but only if shifted a certain way because of the same issue that you're contending with( as-far-as your auto shifting too soon ).
I have an entire method of driving it that (even with a tuner compensating for the regear and accurate tire size, etc. ) I have driven it the auto like a stick; I start momentum forward in "1" until the appropriate RPM then a slight let off of throttle to shift to "2" after which of course comes "D" and I have driven it like this since day 1 , prior to 35s, since the beginning.The (They did not have the bumpshift option until '12 or '13 and) the 42rle has 'learned' to be shifted like that.
Otherwise , it shifts bam, bam , bam in auto and your in 3rd gear before you reach 35mp if you don't control it. I have verified that unless you jam the shifter - and who would do that- there is no detriment to doing this. It is the only way my 3.8l with auto 42rle can be driven and I do admit it drives as well as this setup can and performs very well now at 88k on odometer .

I take great care of engine and tranny but this one issue of having to drive it and shift thru those selections like a manual is obnoxious tho' I am oblivious to it by now.

I look forward to having an LS someday so that the tap shift option will be possible and I will have some real power and a tranny I do not have to coddle and pander-to like a special-needs child, no disrespect intended.

<edit: removed many run ones and bad punctuation-j_j)>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 10-17-2016 at 05:11 AM. Reason: (Fixed a bunch of run on sentences and grammatical errors)
post #5 of 16 Old 10-16-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
ori
Wheeler

I have the flash cal on it. That is a must when regearing a 2012 or newer. I owned an off road shop for over ten years and have driven just about every type of 4wd Available in the US. I've never driven one that is as aggravating as the JK! I love it and hate it and the same time HAHAHAHA

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.
post #6 of 16 Old 10-17-2016, 05:31 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
i've got the aforementioned crappy 4 speed auto that began life in my 2011 JKUr on OEM wheels/tires with the original 4.10 gearing and now runs 37s with 5.13s .It drives great but only if shifted a certain way because of the same issue that you're contending with( as-far-as your auto shifting too soon ).
I have an entire method of driving it that (even with a tuner compensating for the regear and accurate tire size, etc. ) I have driven it the auto like a stick; I start momentum forward in "1" until the appropriate RPM then a slight let off of throttle to shift to "2" after which of course comes "D" and I have driven it like this since day 1 , prior to 35s, since the beginning.The (They did not have the bumpshift option until '12 or '13 and) the 42rle has 'learned' to be shifted like that.
Otherwise , it shifts bam, bam , bam in auto and your in 3rd gear before you reach 35mp if you don't control it. I have verified that unless you jam the shifter - and who would do that- there is no detriment to doing this. It is the only way my 3.8l with auto 42rle can be driven and I do admit it drives as well as this setup can and performs very well now at 88k on odometer .

I take great care of engine and tranny but this one issue of having to drive it and shift thru those selections like a manual is obnoxious tho' I am oblivious to it by now.

I look forward to having an LS someday so that the tap shift option will be possible and I will have some real power and a tranny I do not have to coddle and pander-to like a special-needs child, no disrespect intended.

You need to change your shift strategy in tuner, my 3.8 jk on 37's with 37's ran and shifted pretty good. Nothing like you are describing
post #7 of 16 Old 10-17-2016, 05:32 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ori View Post
I have the flash cal on it. That is a must when regearing a 2012 or newer. I owned an off road shop for over ten years and have driven just about every type of 4wd Available in the US. I've never driven one that is as aggravating as the JK! I love it and hate it and the same time HAHAHAHA

What tune and shift strategy are you running?
post #8 of 16 Old 10-17-2016, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
ori
Wheeler

Flash cal isn't a tuner it just allows you to reprogram the gear ratio and tires size. In order to tune the 2015 and newer you have to get a new ECM. I'm going to try that next to see if it helps.

post #9 of 16 Old 10-19-2016, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddkarmaracing View Post
You need to change your shift strategy in tuner, my 3.8 jk on 37's with 37's ran and shifted pretty good. Nothing like you are describing

Sure, @baddkarmaracing ,that sounds as good as it has since the 3872 FlashPaq I bought advertized the Auto Transmission Shift Point and Shift Pressure modifications were an option for the 2011 JKU with the 42RLE which I own. Thus I bought one and have used it - for what it can do- every day ;it's a limited yet worthwhile ( if somewhat over priced) solution that I would buy again. But, you are recommending the same thing that SC advertized but that is not possible anyplace within the tuner , at-least for my model .

Regardless of pre-configured ( the built in tunes for e.g.- 91 Octane or Crawl ,Tow Tune..)options, the one to which you refer is documented by SC as accessible through the Advanced tunes . No big deal, right? I use the advanced tune for mine so when I access the options for Transmission Shift Points , fully expecting to be able to modify the degree of firmness , pressure or RPM for which a gear shift occurs the only options that have ever existed are the "Stock" or the "Superchips Optimized" within the menu. There is WOT ability but that is different , of course.

I mention this because this suggested set-up option is bandied-about by the SC sales documentation as-well-as by forum members and internet commenters that have heard it advertised over and over again but it is not correct. Sure, the "Superchip Optimized" is selected for every tune I do - it seems it's selected by default when you implement a tune - I am pointing-out that it is misleading to say" you need to change your shift strategy " for this device because it only has the STOCK or the canned , SUPERCHIPS option of transmission shift scheduling , nothing for actually choosing firmer PSI levels for the shifts nor for the RPM at which it is prefered a gear-up or gear-down shift occurs.

I have not been able to find-out if this is unique to the 2011 3.8l mated with the paltry 42RLE ( a year that was notoriously difficult for accessing the codes FCA used to secure the PIDs and settings which tuner manufacturers have to reverse engineer to access and ultimately allow their interfaces to modify) JKs or also applies to the 2010s and earlier.

fwiw, similar discussions have been held on this forum about this

I do notice the @TCdawg reply to that link confirms that the option exists for the Diablo Trinity but , again, I have heard those are less than ideal for the 2011 ,plus i'm not buying another $350 device so I may just be SOL. I was not totally clueless when I posted that manual shifting method which compelled you to respond,presumably only trying to help ( appreciated) ;

I've been thru all of this multiple times seeking clarity because I would LOVE to modify my shift points, lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 10-19-2016 at 10:40 AM.
post #10 of 16 Old 10-20-2016, 05:06 PM
Wheeler

Flash cal didn't do shit to help me. I still have the same problem you describe. Always revs high before going into the next gear

post #11 of 16 Old 10-20-2016, 08:50 PM
Granite Guru

No personal experience so maybe someone else can add their thoughts, but you could try this - Chrysler TCM Flashing | OST Dyno
post #12 of 16 Old 10-21-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
ori
Wheeler

I may try that. Seems to have good reviews online.

post #13 of 16 Old 10-23-2016, 02:46 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post

I'm driving the same way on my 2010 JKUR, automatic, Procal'ed, OD off, 5.38s after I got my 37s. It was bearable with 35s and OD off so I drove it as is. With 37s the Jeep was always lugging the engine. I'm at about 135k miles, 37s have been on for about 30k miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-24-2016, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead View Post
I'm driving the same way on my 2010 JKUR, automatic, Procal'ed, OD off, 5.38s after I got my 37s. It was bearable with 35s and OD off so I drove it as is. With 37s the Jeep was always lugging the engine. I'm at about 135k miles, 37s have been on for about 30k miles.
thats usefully reassuring , @TRAUMAhead
Thanks for sharing ; I knew I couldn't be the only one doing this on this abhorrable transmission *
Thanks for including this info on yours !

(* for driving I'd stipulate ; ironically, off-road - what the Jeep is designed for - the pathetic , poorly chosen 42RLE automatic that was available to 2007-2011 JKs is absolutely fine/adequate seeing-as how you never leave "1" or "2" , or at-least seldom do, unless your prerunning in 4h or some gravel driving fast ...but the discussions not limited to that, just pointing this out ...)

@ori
, I hope this none-too-subtle hijacking is not something you are averse to ; it wasn't looked for ,sought nor intended. Sometimes a topic begets conversations but the variations between versions of the JKs breeds crossover discussions only loosely relevant to the OPs information or question yet is still useful and appreciated ....thanks

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 10-24-2016 at 04:24 AM.
post #15 of 16 Old 10-24-2016, 04:40 AM
JKowners Vendor

There are a ton of improvements viable for the 12+ auto transmissions. We have been doing a lot of TCM tuning and are seeing very good results. All your concerns can be addressed with proper tuning.

We offer a exchange TCM reflash service and we offer full custom performance tuning, engine and trans in house at our shop in Alabama.

At this point in time I won't recommend a supercharger kit without proper transmission tuning to match.....the difference is night and day!

your offroad connection to the best southern off road Jeep parts in Alabama
post #16 of 16 Old 10-24-2016, 04:14 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lllllll0 RPMEXTREME View Post
There are a ton of improvements viable for the 12+ auto transmissions. We have been doing a lot of TCM tuning and are seeing very good results. All your concerns can be addressed with proper tuning.

We offer a exchange TCM reflash service and we offer full custom performance tuning, engine and trans in house at our shop in Alabama.

At this point in time I won't recommend a supercharger kit without proper transmission tuning to match.....the difference is night and day!
Are there any significant improvements to be had if you just have a 3.6/auto with an intake and a flashcal tune and tire size fix?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode