Opinion on Mechanic advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 10-15-2016, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Opinion on Mechanic advice

I'm about to pick up a new JKU Willys W in a week or so and plan to have some mods done.
AEV bumper, winch, lights, rock rails(in addition to the factory rails) and more, all of which I'll be doing myself.
The only thing I won't be doing myself (because I don't have a jack and stands or a driveway to work in) is a leveling kit.
I was initially interested in the EVO leveling kit as it gives a slight lift in addition to leveling and supposedly doesn't require anything else, as the lift is very minor.
Also considering just spaced pucks, 1", on front springs to compensate for bumper and winch.
I called a 4x4 shop not too far from me (there aren't many around where I am) and asked about the cost of installing the EVO kit.
First question he asks is what am I going to do about my shocks. I said the lift is not so significant that it would need longer shocks, plus the Willys comes with Rubicon shocks which are slightly longer anyway.
He says no, you will need longer shocks or extension brackets.
I then ask about installing some 1"leveling pucks in the front instead. Then he asks how sensitive am I to the ride and feel of the jeep because even that will change the ride and I might reconsider.
At that point I said thanks for your time and I'll think about what your said.

So, at this point I'm not eager to deal with this place again.

I'm not really interested in a lift but thought it would be cool with a slight lift and level with the EVO kit(heard great things about this kit as well as the plush ride springs being very good)
A level is something I want for sure being f that I'll be putting a lot more weight in the front which will add to the rake that already comes from the factory.
if I go with the EVO kit do you think it'll be ok with no additional mods?
If I just go with a level kit ( the 3/4 -1" puck in front) will this change my ride so much that I'll notice? (After installing the bumper and winch the ride height will likely be same as it was originally)

Sorry for the long read here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-16-2016, 07:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

I assume you're talking about this one?

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/c...ling-kit-1-5in

If so, you probably won't need shocks to run it, per se.

What I mean is that shocks don't care whether or not they have 1/2 of the downtravel available or 1/4, they just compress and rebound throughout their travel.

THAT SAID.... you'd probably need new shocks eventually to make the "kit" work to the fullest extent. Forget what you think about the shocks that you currently have. The red shocks you have now are sized appropriately for the coils that you have now. To properly size shocks for your application, you have to install tires, coils, cycle the suspension to max, size up bumpstops, then order shocks that will be short enough to not bottom out before you hit full bump. So for me or anyone else to say "you need XX length to work" would be guessing.

You'll be adding a shitload of weight to the front of the Jeep compared to how it is right now, so you might not end up with that much lift (1.5") or getting rid of the rake. Nice thing about the EVO setup is that they supply the rear spacers, so if you end up nose high, you can add them in, or if the coils settle under the weight of the bumper and everything, you can leave them out.

The addition of spacers in the front probably won't be that noticeable comfort-wise. It might be a change in steering dynamic due to the increased castor but that's a whole other ball game. The stock coils won't like the weight though, so they will probably settle. I'd yank them out and sell them on Craigslist or something before they settled...cause the HD JKU springs can give someone with a bone stock 2 door a bump in height.

Would you be okay with just the EVO kit? More than likely. You won't get the absolute most out of the setup, though, cause the shocks will be slightly too short (again, this is a "probably" kinda answer). Only way to truly know is to buy it and find out.

And I'd skip those "rock rails" if you're putting them under the stock factory rails. They just add weight and kill clearance. The stock ones are adequate for mild to moderate wheeling.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #3 of 3 Old 10-17-2016, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for lending your knowledge here, 2door.
Yes, that is the EVO kit I was considering. I will be riding around stock for a while so that I can get accustomed to the feel of it, and then as I add stuff I'll be better at sensing the changes to the ride.
I'd like to start off simple as I go so likely I'll just add the level pucks to the front after the bumper (winch will come later) and see how that works out.
Eventually if I notice the stock coils taking a hit I can go with the EVO kit, and as you suggested I would have the option of leaving the rear pucks off depending on the setup at that time.
I doubt I'll ever be rock crawling with this jeep but certainly the occasional off road meandering.

The "rock rails" would be basically working as a step and for looks, but I'm not sure about that add-on yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode