By request:DIY Hemi Swap - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 76 Old 09-19-2008, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

By request:DIY Hemi Swap

I'm doing my own Hemi swap with the kit from AEV. I was trying to figure out how many hours I have into so far and my best guess is around 20. Some of those were spent just standing back with a cold one in hand trying to decide what to do next.
I pulled the body off for easy access to everything from the top and to make it easy to maneuver the six foot + powertrain into place by myself. The body off went pretty good. Disconnected everything and used a chain fall bolted to the floor of the jeep with the seat bolts. Did this in my garage with an eight foot ceiling so pulled the front all out also so I could roll the chassis out from under the body after raising it high enough. Wheeled it out into the drive and powerwashed everything as clean as possible.
Doug

Then pushed the chassis back into the other side of the garage and pulled the old powertrain out and cut, chiseled and ground out the old motor mounts.

welded in the new mounts

Dressed the new powertrain while its hanging

Slide it in and bolt it all down

Everything lined up perfect. Happy as hell.

Last edited by dsy; 09-19-2008 at 06:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 09-19-2008, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

Not enough hours in the day. Its hard finding enough time for this, and work full time with a couple 16hr shifts a week thrown in.
I'm also going to do the full POR15 treatment to the frame before putting the body back on.
I'm thinking another week or two and it will be mobile.

Yesterday 9-18-08

Got the exhaust system in this morning before work. I Have been very impressed
with the quality and fit of everything from AEV so far.

Last edited by dsy; 09-19-2008 at 04:33 AM.
post #3 of 76 Old 09-19-2008, 05:05 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Man, that's outstanding. How tough was it pulling the body like that? Wasn't there a billion wires to disconnect?

Great work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 76 Old 09-19-2008, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
Man, that's outstanding. How tough was it pulling the body like that? Wasn't there a billion wires to disconnect?

Great work.
Not that bad to do. You can pretty much see everything that needs to come apart. The benefits of doing it that way far outweigh the hassle of trying to work in the engine bay and laying on your back under it. Most of the stuff to disconnect needed to be done either way.

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 76 Old 09-19-2008, 05:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsy View Post
Not that bad to do. You can pretty much see everything that needs to come apart. The benefits of doing it that way far outweigh the hassle of trying to work in the engine bay and laying on your back under it. Most of the stuff to disconnect needed to be done either way.
Yeah, the more I look at it, that's what I'm realizing about the wiring. Great job. Can't wait to see the finished product. Are you going to spray the bottom of the tub while you have it off? I would.
post #6 of 76 Old 09-19-2008, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
Yeah, the more I look at it, that's what I'm realizing about the wiring. Great job. Can't wait to see the finished product. Are you going to spray the bottom of the tub while you have it off? I would.
I really had not thought too much about the bottom of the tub. I planned on rino lining the inside of it. I guess I should be doing the POR15 treatment to the bottom of the tub rather than the frame.

07 Flame Red Unlimited Rubicon, 5.7 hemi, RCV shafts, 35" KM2's, AEV 3 1/2 lift, , AEV rear swing away Carrier, AEV Snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer. , Marchal E-Code lamps
DIY Hemi build
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 76 Old 09-19-2008, 10:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

"Envy emotocon" inserted here

Very nice build. Just curious, does the throttle still drive-by-wire or is there a cable?

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #8 of 76 Old 09-19-2008, 12:15 PM
Alec W

Nice work!!! One of these days Id love to do the same thing.
post #9 of 76 Old 09-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Granite Guru

I am so jealous. Oh to be rich. Thanks for sharing, congrats. Keep the photos coming.
post #10 of 76 Old 09-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Granite Guru

You make it look easy.

07 Rubi Unlimited , 4.5 clayton longarm, 37" Maxxis treps, AtoZ fabrication, Genright, and Polyperformance
post #11 of 76 Old 09-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I would not be able to sleep until I was done.... Looks Great so far

post #12 of 76 Old 09-19-2008, 08:34 PM
JKO Addict!

Man o man! You are def not skeered to jump in with both feet and git r done!!!

Looks great! New engine? Did you buy everything from AEV, or just the install kit? If you dont mind me asking.

Keep up the good work!

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #13 of 76 Old 09-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Granite Guru

That is awesome One day I will try my mechanic ability on a project that glorious! In the mean time, Hundy, if you ever do a swap, I got dibs on the Supercharger....

AUSTIN

2007 SAHARA
post #14 of 76 Old 09-20-2008, 05:07 AM
Rock God

Nice work,you're very talented to be able to take on a project like that by yourself
post #15 of 76 Old 09-20-2008, 05:49 AM
Granite Guru

nice job! someday i'll do this too.

H3 Lux with Adventure Package

Gone but not forgotten:
2009 Black Rubicon Unlimited
2007 Silver Rubicon Unlimited
post #16 of 76 Old 09-20-2008, 09:23 PM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Good Job, can't wait to see it in person.....

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #17 of 76 Old 09-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Rock God

NICE!!! What is the build cost for DIY!!??

Lifted by
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

post #18 of 76 Old 09-21-2008, 02:10 AM
Rock God

Amazing !! When you get time we want all the gory details. Good Luck, hope everything goes perfectly.

"i like gizzards too not that healthy choiuce shiat either reall gizzrads cooked n lard"
post #19 of 76 Old 09-22-2008, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

Finished with the POR15 treatment over the weekend. That's some nice but messy stuff. Also completed everything on the body side. Removed all the clutch related stuff and moved the steering shaft over for clearance on the new motor. Hopefully will be able to make the time in the next couple days to mate the body back to the chassis.
Couple pics of the cleaned and protected chassis.

DIY Hemi build
post #20 of 76 Old 09-22-2008, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
dsy
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
"Envy emotocon" inserted here

Very nice build. Just curious, does the throttle still drive-by-wire or is there a cable?
Wire, everything is the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100dollarman View Post
Man o man! You are def not skeered to jump in with both feet and git r done!!!

Looks great! New engine? Did you buy everything from AEV, or just the install kit? If you dont mind me asking.

Keep up the good work!
Picked the new crate motor up on Ebay last Jan, got the trans from a recycler, the kit from AEV and all the rest of the required parts from MoparOnlineparts.com for wholesale cost and no tax. Did not have to chase anything down. Everything just showed up at the house Total investment a hair over 10. Hours=Did not count. Nothing I would have rather been doing with my time than building my Hemified Unlimited.

DIY Hemi build

Last edited by dsy; 09-22-2008 at 09:55 AM.
post #21 of 76 Old 09-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Granite Guru

A hair over 10? That is really reasonable! I may have be in touch to walk in your footsteps!

2007 JK, 4.5" RE LA kit, ATLAS4spd, ARB rear w/ Superiors, Rubi front w/RCV axles, 5.38's, 40" KM2's, 18x10 Raceline Beadlocks, 1"BL, Poly Rockers, RR corners, PS fenders, etc...the list goes on.
post #22 of 76 Old 09-23-2008, 06:10 AM
TrailDuty.com

That is no small job, very nice work
post #23 of 76 Old 09-23-2008, 08:08 AM
Openly Hostile

Nice work, 10 grand huh.... I see a personal loan in my future...haha

Jason
post #24 of 76 Old 09-23-2008, 02:21 PM
14ers

man-o-man-o-man-o-man-o-man-o-man-o-man-o-man-o-man-o-man...

AWESOME !!

That's how the free time gets enjoyed.

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
post #25 of 76 Old 09-23-2008, 06:30 PM
Rock God

WOW Someday.....

FAR FROM STOCK

OHANA TRAILS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode