JK overheating due to winch - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 10-07-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
JK overheating due to winch

So after installing the winch I noticed after hard driving at high speeds the jeep tends to over heat. Nothing crazy and goes right back down once theres less stress, anyone experience this and know of anyway to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-07-2016, 10:26 AM
Granite Guru

I don't think it's the winch... how do you know its overheating? Just by looking at the gauge or do you have a digital read out?

SkullDaddyGraphics.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

2013 JK

post #3 of 31 Old 10-07-2016, 10:46 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony_SS View Post
I don't think it's the winch... how do you know its overheating? Just by looking at the gauge or do you have a digital read out?
gauge but I do have a digital read out if needed.
it only has done that since I got the winch.
IT also happens exactly the same way on my boss' TJ.

My theory is due to the winch bag its not getting as much air flow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 10-07-2016, 10:48 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvjeeper View Post
So after installing the winch I noticed after hard driving at high speeds the jeep tends to over heat. Nothing crazy and goes right back down once theres less stress, anyone experience this and know of anyway to fix it?
I agree it's unlikely it's the winch. High speed? 100mph for a half hour? Hard driving? Like rock crawling in 100F? Redlining the temp guage?

What year? Engine? Cooling system modifications? Poor maintenance? Fan engaging? Coolant level? Water pump? Clogged up radiator? Leaks?

We posted at the same time. Lose the winch bag. Your winch will be fine without it. Oh yeah.. Get rid of that plastic garbage air thing on the bottom too if you already haven't.

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..

Last edited by Tierhog; 10-07-2016 at 10:53 AM.
post #5 of 31 Old 10-07-2016, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
I agree it's unlikely it's the winch. High speed? 100mph for a half hour? Hard driving? Like rock crawling in 100F? Redlining the temp guage?

What year? Engine? Cooling system modifications? Poor maintenance? Fan engaging? Coolant level? Water pump? Clogged up radiator? Leaks?

We posted at the same time. Lose the winch bag. Your winch will be fine without it.
High speeds in that jeep to me is 60+lol but I never go over 80 in it usually never over 70 either.

highway 20 minutes, idle 5 minutes after getting gas, highway for another 20 minutes, up hill 2nd gear 4kish rpms for a few minutes.

I'd like to keep the bag to keep the winch in good shape but I'll try to see how it does without it.
post #6 of 31 Old 10-07-2016, 11:32 AM
Granite Guru

My TJ overheated a couple times with a warn x8000i winch - it deflects airflow from the radiator a little bit... maybe more so with a cover on it.

Dustin Tarditi
Haddonfield, NJ
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
post #7 of 31 Old 10-07-2016, 11:33 AM
Rock God

Garage

Didn't @rpmextreme do some testing where they found some winches not set low into bumper did deflect significant air movement away from the radiator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #8 of 31 Old 10-07-2016, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Didn't @rpmextreme do some testing where they found some winches not set low into bumper did deflect significant air movement away from the radiator?
that user shows 0 posts, is that correct? lol
post #9 of 31 Old 10-07-2016, 01:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Im guessing you were on the cusp and the winch put you over. I would check to make sure the cooling system is functioning optimally. Maybe might be time to do a flush...After that what tires and gears are you running? Just wondering if you are loading the engine up real bad.

And lastly you can just address the winch if you know that caused it. Look into sinking it down to allow for greater air flow.

post #10 of 31 Old 10-07-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

12 3.6 6sp 3.21 with 35s. I'm so under geared it hurts.
post #11 of 31 Old 10-07-2016, 05:56 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

The pushing over the edge comment is probably spot on. An efficient cooling system running in excellent condition will conquer any winch mount that I'm aware of. Your overheat condition seems to be stemming from while the jeep is in motion, as opposed to standing still.
I'm willing to guess your severe gearing issue is likely the culprit. Heat soak doesn't help you in between runs. If you start from cold does it eventually overheat? If you hop in and rev the engine or hold it at 2500rpms while stationary does it overheat?

I bet you it doesn't

You need 4.56 or so OR smaller tires asap

Last edited by Tierhog; 10-07-2016 at 06:00 PM.
post #12 of 31 Old 10-08-2016, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
The pushing over the edge comment is probably spot on. An efficient cooling system running in excellent condition will conquer any winch mount that I'm aware of. Your overheat condition seems to be stemming from while the jeep is in motion, as opposed to standing still.
I'm willing to guess your severe gearing issue is likely the culprit. Heat soak doesn't help you in between runs. If you start from cold does it eventually overheat? If you hop in and rev the engine or hold it at 2500rpms while stationary does it overheat?

I bet you it doesn't

You need 4.56 or so OR smaller tires asap
It started only when I put the winch on, its been colder since and its still over heating.
It won't do it while idle but I don't leave the jeep idling long normally.
I'll try to have it stationary and bring the revs up like that to see what it will do.
I took the same route today but it was cooler and I noticed no issues.

And yes I need a regear badly but its hard to justify $1,500 for it especially when I'll need new tires next year either way. I might go back to stock size tires actually.
post #13 of 31 Old 10-08-2016, 08:46 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

If your not overheating while stationary, or under mild load when stationary, regardless of how long you idle it in park, the cooling system is working effectively.

The variables (warmer some days than others) are simply due to terrain, ambient temp, AC use, etc, etc, etc. As far as justification goes, that's personal. I'll save the soapbox speech, as it appears you know what's going on now and have some choices to make.

I'm glad we were able to narrow down your issue, and wish you the best of luck with your JK. Keep us updated on your progress

post #14 of 31 Old 10-08-2016, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
If your not overheating while stationary, or under mild load when stationary, regardless of how long you idle it in park, the cooling system is working effectively.

The variables (warmer some days than others) are simply due to terrain, ambient temp, AC use, etc, etc, etc. As far as justification goes, that's personal. I'll save the soapbox speech, as it appears you know what's going on now and have some choices to make.

I'm glad we were able to narrow down your issue, and wish you the best of luck with your JK. Keep us updated on your progress
$1,500 for regears and another $1,200 or so for 5 tires is a bit much to spend when I rarely get to do any offroading worthy of the 35's. But I do have the money and I'm up in the air so if you want to justify it for me I welcome it lol.

This is my Signature
post #15 of 31 Old 10-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Lol.. Since your the OP, I can get away with a thread hijack concerning justified expenses.. Lol. God, I've framed so many under the safety first mantra, the wife just rolls her eyes. I've been racking my brain over flares right now.

Kidding aside, I've done everything my driving skills allow on 33s. Guys on here will passionately defend everything up to 42s and I think that's great. I love seeing them drive right over everything. I've seen some even get to aggressive on R&P upgrades and hate its road manners.

Jeeps can lose their appeal if they soak everything out of you all day. Sometimes taking the top off and getting out in the sticks is your best policy.

post #16 of 31 Old 10-09-2016, 10:40 AM
Wheeler

Its the winch causing the overheat. I bet it gets warm only while cruising 35MPH or higher. Its deflecting a lot of airflow. We removed a winch last week that was blocking airflow to the radiator. While cruising I saw 230 temps until the fan kicked on high. After removing it stayed below 212 and the fan does not need to run while cruising.
post #17 of 31 Old 10-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I just can't see it. I live in areas in excess of 110F AND have a top of the bumper mounted 11.5k winch. I've wheeled in dry, dusty, nasty conditions with AC even on.. Cool as a cucumber.
We have the same jeep basically. The winch may have aggravated his preexisting condition. The underlying issue is the gearing or a malfunctioning cooling system.

Last edited by Tierhog; 10-09-2016 at 01:48 PM.
post #18 of 31 Old 10-09-2016, 04:03 PM
Wheeler

I would remove the winch and take it for a test drive. If it remains cool then you know the winch is blocking to much airflow.
post #19 of 31 Old 10-09-2016, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

^ this would seem the logical step to take.

post #20 of 31 Old 10-10-2016, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
I just can't see it. I live in areas in excess of 110F AND have a top of the bumper mounted 11.5k winch. I've wheeled in dry, dusty, nasty conditions with AC even on.. Cool as a cucumber.
We have the same jeep basically. The winch may have aggravated his preexisting condition. The underlying issue is the gearing or a malfunctioning cooling system.
Do you do a lot of higher speed driving during those days though? I've never seen my temp gauge move beyond mid point. It usually rests a hair below it before the winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motechtech View Post
I would remove the winch and take it for a test drive. If it remains cool then you know the winch is blocking to much airflow.
I'll probably have to do that but its a PITA to remove it and I was looking to avoid that.

This is my Signature
post #21 of 31 Old 10-10-2016, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

@mvjeeper
it'd be pretty beneficial for those of us on this thread to actually see what ya got going on as far as the installed winch and front bumper and seven slots ...how 'bout upload a few Picts to photobucket or Imgur and use the hosted link urls to post images on this for others to see and better help.

a front bumper designed w winching in mind allows said winch to not impede airflow thru seven slots ...(yes, my Jeep kills butterflies.)

I use torque pro and my android phone to interface with the pids on the jk via a Bluetooth odb2 scanner for temp reading. That or a real gauge is only way to tell temps as the factory gauge is all but useless ,fwiw

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 10-10-2016 at 05:41 AM.
post #22 of 31 Old 10-10-2016, 06:14 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

[QUOTE=mvjeeper;4034722]Do you do a lot of higher speed driving during those days though? I've never seen my temp gauge move beyond mid point. It usually rests a hair below it before the winch.

Sure. 75mph is generally my top speed. 65-70 is highway average. In the city it's so congested that very little airflow makes it through without help with the fan. I'd venture to say the warmer condition is from bumper to bumper traffic. The only time my needle has budged was in August over the grapevine and it moved a tad and crept back down. My only difference from you aside from gearing and tires is the vented hood, and I have the temp. comparisons if you want. It's not that dramatic. I've met my quota so I can't attach a photo of mine.. Sorry
You can look at profile pics/garage though. Ours is pretty similar

post #23 of 31 Old 10-10-2016, 06:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
@mvjeeper
it'd be pretty beneficial for those of us on this thread to actually see what ya got going on as far as the installed winch and front bumper and seven slots ...how 'bout upload a few Picts to photobucket or Imgur and use the hosted link urls to post images on this for others to see and better help.

a front bumper designed w winching in mind allows said winch to not impede airflow thru seven slots ...(yes, my Jeep kills butterflies.)

I use torque pro and my android phone to interface with the pids on the jk via a Bluetooth odb2 scanner for temp reading. That or a real gauge is only way to tell temps as the factory gauge is all but useless ,fwiw

I have torque pro too with a OBD2 plug I'll get actual readings over the next few days.

http://imgur.com/Q7vCoFj

This is my Signature
post #24 of 31 Old 10-10-2016, 06:20 AM
Granite Guru

Did the OP state what kind of winch or bumper he has?

It would be funny if he has a Warn 8274... You put a cover on that thing and you might as well put a piece of cardboard over the middle of your grille.... lol

Warn 8274..........

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:

Last edited by DFW Rusty; 10-10-2016 at 06:23 AM.
post #25 of 31 Old 10-10-2016, 07:01 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Here's mine... Remember this is intake temps not coolant temp.
Dear Staff,

As requested, I am furnishing the data you asked for concerning real world testing of an unmodified 3.6 pentastar/Jeep JK after your louver install dated 6/03/2016. Ambient temperature today is 104F. Motor was allowed to idle to temp, turned off, and restarted after ten minutes to allow heat soak. Louvers were plugged from the inside with duct tape and cardboard, then removed for contrast. All Temps wer taken while the jeep was stationary via the ECU/Air Intake sensor using a Can OBD2 "Memoscan".

Results :

Blocked/Full hood- 184F, 186, 186.
Vented- 154F, 155F, 155F.
Hood open- 123,123,125

I wasn't able to assess high speed results and wasn't about to tape yarn everywhere for airflow, but can truefully say driving and idling in this blazing Valley heat doesn't have the the constant whoosh of the fan any longer. AC is cold and no motor fatigue was noted.

In summary, yes.. I'd certainly say this modification was an excellent choice, and we'll worth the money. Don't hesitate to keep your baby cool. Thanks for the excellent work Mike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode