JKOwners Forum banner

Beware Luk repset replacement clutch kit

18K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ChuckTheRipper 
#1 ·
Just wrapped up 2 clutch replacements in a month on the same jeep. I started by having a mechanic I know install a new Luk kit in my 2007 jk. I heard good things about Luk and decided against centerforce or spec.

Before he put it in, he showed me that the box that the kit was packaged in was labeled Jeep Liberty. I contacted the guy who sold me the kit and he said I should get in touch with the manufacturer, Luk.

Luk's technical support assured me that it fits both the liberty and the jk, so we proceeded with install.

Next obstacle was a pressure plate with a raised flange that fit over the flywheel dowels without allowing the dowels to position the pressure plate correctly. Another call to Luk's support assured me again that all was well and that the pressure plate was designed to bolt up without using dowels. He said just the bolts would do the job.

My mechanic reluctantly continued installing the kit, saying that the pressure plate may not be centered without the dowels. I told him to go ahead with it.

Test drive after the new Luk install revealed a pulsing clutch pedal and nasty vibration- especially loud in the 2800-3200 rpm range.

Luk's support told me it sounds like I had a bad driveshaft carrier bearing or maybe motor mount or something in the tranny. Anything but an out of balance pressure plate.

I call the guy who sold me the kit and he says he'll warranty it. He ships me another Luk kit. This one is an open box. It looks like it's been installed and removed without being driven and sent back. There's a shipping label on the box to a transmission shop right down the street from me.

I'm able to get in touch with the shop and ask what happened. The guy tells me that Luk changed the kit, eliminating the use of the dowels. Guess Luk saves money by making parts fit multiple vehicles. He says he used to use Luk but stays far away from them now.

So I picked up a centerforce, which uses a Sachs pressure plate and switched out the junk Luk kit.

Inspection of the Luk after pulling it out showed uneven wear of the fingers on the plate. Some were almost 1/8" off from flush. Also, the bolt holes in the plate are so big that I can't see how you could ever get it mounted to the flywheel without a balance issue - the clutch alignment tool is only for the disk.

Just want to say be careful of these. Many aftermarket kits use Luk pressure plates. Be sure they are designed to use the flywheel dowels.

See less See more
#3 ·
That's a lot of clutches! A lot of throw out or release bearings are made with a plastic sleeve now also. I stay away from them too. I put one in made by Omix-Ada/ Rugged Ridge that was well made and weighed twice than the half plastic one that comes with the Luk kit (and many others). National bearing makes a good one too.

I don't wheel very hard here in Florida, but I'm in the water and mud a lot, so my original clutch lasted to 75,000 miles. I drove an old Toyota 4x4 very hard when I was young and crazy and that thing never gave up after 170,000.

#4 ·
Yes, yes it is. My original clutch lasted until around 80k I believe. I now have 145k. The throw out bearing that comes with the duralast shit is pure junk. I actually just put another one in a couple months back, it also caused the slave to over-extend breaking the snap ring that holds the boot on, so I had to replace it as well.
My daily driver is a 93 ranger with the 2.3l 5 speed, it has 315k miles and the only thing that is not original is the fuel pump, and the only reason it was changed is because the top plate of it rusting out.. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.