Accidental Accident - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 10-01-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage
Accidental Accident

Yup, I had an accident two days after Chucks attempt to cut off his leg with a grinder so I waited to post this because I didn't want to seem like I was trying to one up him. I changed the bulbs in my headlights and that night drove down my street to check them out. They were way off. I brought my jeep to the local jeep dealer and had them align my lights. Checked them that night and they were way off. Brought back and they supposedly corrected them. Checked that night. Way off. So I youtubed JK headlight alignment and saw hope simple it was. Later that night I backed my jeep 25 feet from my garage door and began the alignment procedure. Finished and checked the left headlight first, then began on the right one. Had a little trouble with aligning the torx bit driver so pushed and turned. Thats when I noticed the jeep was rolling backwards, I ran around and jumped in through the already open door and applied the brakes but it was too late. I have very steep ravine on the side of my house and down I went backwards in the drivers seat with no seat belt on and an open door. The ravine is over 100 feet deep and steeper than 45 degree angle. I was thrown around like a rag doll and at the end of this unintended trip the back of the jeep hit the opposite side of the creek bank very hard. Right tire hanging over the 10 foot drop at the waterfall. I was thrown to the back right corner. My wife heard the noise and called EMT's. I started the Jeep and put it in 4Low but the tires just spinned because the soil down there was still soaked from the recent heavy rains. I got put in an ambulance and sent to the emergency room. Head had 3 eggs and blood, right elbow had a huge egg which i thought was a broken arm, left leg was purple from my left ass cheek all the way to my ankle and twice the size of normal. The right side of my back was bruised from my ass cheek up to behind my right shoulder. My poor jeep has a torn up spare tire carrier and the tum was pushed in about 6 inches. The right rear stock bumper was smashed and the license plate holder cracked, and the tailgate was smashed inward. The trailer hitch looking at the back of the jeep was bent to the right about 15 degrees. Because I drive with the doors often I never put the nuts back on the bottom on the door hinge pins. Well the driver door jumped completely out of the hinges and was found about 20 feet in back of where I stopped. The door was put back on the hinges the next morning by the tow truck. OK no the Jeep is at my insurance company's "approved" body shop. There is a problem with the passenger side door which has a widening gap between the door and the hardtop and body. See attached picture. Body shop guy doesn't quite know what the this means. Both back doors open close OK and the gap between door and body/hardtop are OK. Anyone have any ideas about the passenger door gaps? I hit the creek bank travelling about 15 mph and I think I may have frame damage. Any help would be appreciated..
Attached Images

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 10-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Granite Guru

As long as the headlights are aligned I don't see a problem.

Sounds like a shitty ride, sorry you got injured! Of course, if you hadn't have jump in, it would have looked like the run-of-the-mill insurance job.
Insurance co.----"So let me get this right, you were aligning the headlights, and the Jeep rolled down the hill?.... Right!!!"

How are the hinges on the passenger side? Did it hit the opposite bank at an angle, or was it more of a straight hit to the rear of the Jeep? Sorry, not making myself real clear, did it hit the bumper and bottom of spare, or was it similar to backing into a wall?

Just looked at the pics again. Did the hard top push the windshield forward?

Last edited by TXtoAZ; 10-01-2016 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Looked at pics more
post #3 of 31 Old 10-01-2016, 04:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Hope you are on the mend.

Sounds like it could have been a lot worse for you and the Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 10-01-2016, 06:27 PM
Wheeler

Glad to hear you are relatively ok. As for the windshield gap, could the sport cage have gotten tweaked in the rear driver and pushed the passenger windshield frame out?
post #5 of 31 Old 10-01-2016, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Yeah, I'm on the mend but still hurting a little. One of the EMT guys told me that two weeks prior to me a guy tried the same thing with his truck and got smashed dead between his driver door and an oak tree. My driver seat backrest is bent about 15-20 degrees to the right which is what my body hit on the way back to the right rear corner .Jeep hit square and flat against creek bank. Contact was from the trailer hitch to towards the driver side. Spare tire hit near the bottom and carrier is fubar, tailgate is bent and like I said the tub under the bumper is pushed in a couple of inches. Haven't heard from the body shop yet but they were going to check the hinges. Weird thing is why just the front door when both back doors are OK. Weird. I did learn that a JK frame cost around $1700 sumptin'. I called my insurance agent the next day after the tow truck pulled me out. Late that evening an adjuster called to schedule an appointment. He had me down for 10 grand damage. Got a check 4 days later. Why did I jump in? I could joke around and say it's for the love of my JK but I honestly thought I could stop it. Boy was I wrong.

Quote:
post #6 of 31 Old 10-01-2016, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcycle matt View Post
Glad to hear you are relatively ok. As for the windshield gap, could the sport cage have gotten tweaked in the rear driver and pushed the passenger windshield frame out?
Thanks Matt, hadn't thought about that. I'll drop that on the body shop tomorrow. Thinking further on that, the right side didn't hit the creek bank but the driver side did and that could have caused the cage in the front passenger to move.

Quote:
post #7 of 31 Old 10-01-2016, 08:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Damn, glad you are ok. Oh, and "P" is for park.

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”― Ronald Reagan
post #8 of 31 Old 10-01-2016, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Fuck me. I thought N stood for not going downhill.

Quote:
post #9 of 31 Old 10-02-2016, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
Yup, I had an accident two days after Chucks attempt to cut off his leg with a grinder so I waited to post this because I didn't want to seem like I was trying to one up him. I changed the bulbs in my headlights and that night drove down my street to check them out. They were way off. I brought my jeep to the local jeep dealer and had them align my lights. Checked them that night and they were way off. Brought back and they supposedly corrected them. Checked that night. Way off. So I youtubed JK headlight alignment and saw hope simple it was. Later that night I backed my jeep 25 feet from my garage door and began the alignment procedure. Finished and checked the left headlight first, then began on the right one. Had a little trouble with aligning the torx bit driver so pushed and turned. Thats when I noticed the jeep was rolling backwards, I ran around and jumped in through the already open door and applied the brakes but it was too late. I have very steep ravine on the side of my house and down I went backwards in the drivers seat with no seat belt on and an open door. The ravine is over 100 feet deep and steeper than 45 degree angle. I was thrown around like a rag doll and at the end of this unintended trip the back of the jeep hit the opposite side of the creek bank very hard. Right tire hanging over the 10 foot drop at the waterfall. I was thrown to the back right corner. My wife heard the noise and called EMT's. I started the Jeep and put it in 4Low but the tires just spinned because the soil down there was still soaked from the recent heavy rains. I got put in an ambulance and sent to the emergency room. Head had 3 eggs and blood, right elbow had a huge egg which i thought was a broken arm, left leg was purple from my left ass cheek all the way to my ankle and twice the size of normal. The right side of my back was bruised from my ass cheek up to behind my right shoulder. My poor jeep has a torn up spare tire carrier and the tum was pushed in about 6 inches. The right rear stock bumper was smashed and the license plate holder cracked, and the tailgate was smashed inward. The trailer hitch looking at the back of the jeep was bent to the right about 15 degrees. Because I drive with the doors often I never put the nuts back on the bottom on the door hinge pins. Well the driver door jumped completely out of the hinges and was found about 20 feet in back of where I stopped. The door was put back on the hinges the next morning by the tow truck. OK no the Jeep is at my insurance company's "approved" body shop. There is a problem with the passenger side door which has a widening gap between the door and the hardtop and body. See attached picture. Body shop guy doesn't quite know what the this means. Both back doors open close OK and the gap between door and body/hardtop are OK. Anyone have any ideas about the passenger door gaps? I hit the creek bank travelling about 15 mph and I think I may have frame damage. Any help would be appreciated..

holy crap, RubiC !
First I'm damn glad you're alright.
Second ; you are possibly the first near fatality in a Jeep JK from adjusting headlight alignment.

I'd guess the body getting impacted that severe on the posterior would possibly cause the whole side to actually bend like an arch and thus show as separation at things like doors and body panel meeting points .
Any chance it's bad enough to total it out ?
Be freaking careful . I hope you at least got some good Rx to mask the aches as the healing process begins .
After you administer it to the Jeep , you should take some,too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 31 Old 10-02-2016, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Thanks Jeffery. Fucking Jeep stole all my Oxycodones. Says his back hurts and has a whiplash with plans to sue me.
j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Quote:
post #11 of 31 Old 10-02-2016, 07:15 AM
Rock God

Damnnnnn. Glad to hear you're alright! No need to delay posting, I'm sure your initial plan wasn't to 1-up me! Haha.
On another note, if that thing does get totaled, I'd sure be happy to take the headlight buckets off your hands!
post #12 of 31 Old 10-02-2016, 08:03 AM
Rock God

With my limited knowledge of body shop technicalities as it has to do with frame/body straightening, my opinion is...
- if the frame is bent/tweaked and they can return it to spec, that will not address the body's issues.
- if the frame is fine, maybe just a tweaked body mount, $10k is still not enough to fix its problems. Too many hits to determine which impacts did what...things a body/frame guy needs to know to properly fix/adjust. That thing is fucked even if they can get it to "look" straight...wheel track, alignment, door/gate leaks, hinge binding, etc.

It wasn't built for this level of hammering. You were pinballed inside that thing and luckily escaped serious injury. It was pinballed all the way down to its abrupt stop. It ain't just cosmetic, it's crippled.
If it were mine, I'd dump it...emotionally painful as it may be.
post #13 of 31 Old 10-02-2016, 09:54 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Unbelievable... I mean, that's just crazy. I've heard of such things but rarely get a play by play of how it unfolded. Glad you are OK.
As far as the Jeep, I'm on the other side of the spectrum. Aside from the frame and tub, that whole jeep can easily be replaced part by part. I'd pay special attention to the roll cage, windshield frame hinges, etc. Bouncing around and slapping into a mud hill ass first might have been less traumatic on the jeep than you thought. You just need someone to start poking around underneath and see what, if anything shifted.
Keep the faith..

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..
post #14 of 31 Old 10-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Rock God

Garage

Damn Rubi, glad you're doing alright, all things considered.

As far as the jeep, make sure the body guys know what happened and see what they say.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #15 of 31 Old 10-02-2016, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

"For my next trick..."

Damn, Allan. Stop trying to piss on Chuck's leg.

Really glad you're on the mend. Hope you get the Jeep back to where it should be.

What I REALLY think happened, was that you had a dem buddy and that you were arguing with him about how hard we're gonna get fucked in the ass if the Beast gets elected. In a fit of logic and disgust, you decided to demonstrate what that fucking might feel like... so you threw the Jeep in reverse and floored it back down towards the ravine. Upon impact, your buddy still refused to believe the facts so you felt sympathetically obligated to put him out of his delusional misery by smacking his head repeatedly against the pass side A-pillar until his incoherent rambling ceased. I'll bet there's more hidden in those deep dark woods now than just the mystery of the misaligned headlights.

I'm hoping that's what happened anyway. Take care, you tough ol' Coon Ass.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #16 of 31 Old 10-02-2016, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Damn Stube , you must have ESE ,Extra Sensory Erection. That's exactly what happened, Stallone style.

Quote:
post #17 of 31 Old 10-03-2016, 06:07 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

I go away for the weekend and the wife tries to off you. Maybe you should have gotten some of those halo headlights and have jeepmomma install them for you. Glad that you made it out. Maybe this will teach you a lesson about not being invincible.

I really don't know what to tell you about the doors but old M&M's has the same problem with the doors his is from banging the body mounted sliders on rocks. Not likely that you tweaked the door but more of the body.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #18 of 31 Old 10-04-2016, 02:18 PM
Rock God

Dang man super close call, hope you are healing well!!

Gui

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 31 Old 10-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Wheeler

RubiCajun, I know you don't need a bunch of us telling you what you should have expected when you work on your Jeep while on an incline. You haven't mentioned what has been learned concerning your transmission or emergency brakes. While getting your body work done, have your dealership check out those items because surely one, or both failed you. That is , if you were using them. I'd also check the chock you had behind your rear wheels, while on that incline.

Glad you are healing.
post #20 of 31 Old 10-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasaw View Post
RubiCajun, I know you don't need a bunch of us telling you what you should have expected when you work on your Jeep while on an incline. You haven't mentioned what has been learned concerning your transmission or emergency brakes. While getting your body work done, have your dealership check out those items because surely one, or both failed you. That is , if you were using them. I'd also check the chock you had behind your rear wheels, while on that incline.

Glad you are healing.
In my experience, depending on the PARKING brakes in a JK (not EMERGENCY brakes) will get you killed. The P-brake in mine is and always has been a waste of metal and plastic. I think Allan may have a NHTSA claim there!

BTW RubiCajun, hope you're on the mend and glad you're no worse off than you are. Be careful out there!

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #21 of 31 Old 10-05-2016, 06:42 AM

Glad you okay, as far as your picture on the passenger Pilar gap, my 15 jk has the same gap and it is brand new with 600 miles on it. It came from factory like that. I've seen a bunch of Jeeps with the same issue, but not an issue with me.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
post #22 of 31 Old 10-05-2016, 12:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Good to hear your still alive. What a ride. I think Chuck still won the competition that wasn't a competition.

On the pass door. Did the gaps change on the left side of the door too? If they can't get it square readjusting the door hinges, maybe the windshield/frame moved a bit in all the excitement.

Glad your ok, that's all that really matters.

Kevin
post #23 of 31 Old 10-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Granite Guru

Well, I'm glad you survived the ride, could have been worse if you were ejected.

That being said, I think your jeep was trying to tell you that you don't take her wheeling enough...so she took you! Who says these things don't have souls?

I'm sure you have two bent axels, trashed fenders, bent suspension parts etc, etc.
Build on
post #24 of 31 Old 10-14-2016, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Took this picture today. It's a view of the hardtop and body on the jeeps passenger side. I can stick the tip of my little finger in that gap. The other side has less of a gap. Just wondering if anyone else has that much space on their 4 door hardtop. Thanks.
Attached Images

Quote:
post #25 of 31 Old 10-17-2016, 01:22 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

Dang!!! Glad you are OK!!!!
That is crazy.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode