Sleeping in the back of a JKU on a Trek? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By UnlimiDozer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 09-30-2016, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sleeping in the back of a JKU on a Trek?

This winter we are doing a Trek on the K-Trail and doing an over night on the trail. The wife and I were talking about our sleeping arrangements, I figured we would take a tent and just make sure we pack the winter sleeping bags. She wants to sleep in the back of the jeep. I've never even thought about laying the seat down before to see if I even fit(I'm 6' tall). Has anyone done this before? It sounds like a good idea, because then we don't have to put up/ take down a tent. The weather up there is very unpredictable in the winter, you can start your day out in snow and finish it in the freezing rain.

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-30-2016, 09:44 AM
pvanfab.com

A twin size air mattress will fit in the back of a jku.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-30-2016, 10:30 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
This winter we are doing a Trek on the K-Trail and doing an over night on the trail. The wife and I were talking about our sleeping arrangements, I figured we would take a tent and just make sure we pack the winter sleeping bags. She wants to sleep in the back of the jeep. I've never even thought about laying the seat down before to see if I even fit(I'm 6' tall). Has anyone done this before? It sounds like a good idea, because then we don't have to put up/ take down a tent. The weather up there is very unpredictable in the winter, you can start your day out in snow and finish it in the freezing rain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanweelden View Post
A twin size air mattress will fit in the back of a jku.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I am 6'1 and I have no problems sleeping in the back of my JKU. Definitely recommend the twin air mattress as the floor in the Jeep in rough and uneven.

Amp'd 14 JK Unlimited Rubicon | RE 2.5 Lift | RK Control Arms | Poison Spyder Brawler Bumper & Narrow Crusher Flares | JW Speaker Headlights and Tails | Vision-X LEDs | Adams Shafts | Method Mesh Wheels | 35x12.50x17 General Grabber AT2's | SuperChips FlashPaq | Pioneer 8100NEX

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 09-30-2016, 11:39 AM
Rock God

My wife and I sleep ours all the time. In winter it will be really wet from condensation even keeping window cracked.

Last edited by Jadmt; 09-30-2016 at 11:55 AM.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-30-2016, 11:52 AM
Rock God

Good news, you have the rollbar for all those crazy positions you can't do in a standard bed. Maybe that's why your windows are wet?

Edit - let me know when you are going, if you want someone to tag along. Sounds like a fun trail to try out.

2010 2 door manual sport

Last edited by Treader; 09-30-2016 at 11:57 AM.
post #6 of 14 Old 09-30-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for all the help! We have a ton of air mattress from over the years of camping trips and forgetting an air mattress and having to buy one, adding to our collection of forgotten air mattresses...lol. I believe we have a twin from our last trip to Katemcy rocks 2 a couple years back.

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
post #7 of 14 Old 09-30-2016, 12:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Thanks for all the help! We have a ton of air mattress from over the years of camping trips and forgetting an air mattress and having to buy one, adding to our collection of forgotten air mattresses...lol. I believe we have a twin from our last trip to Katemcy rocks 2 a couple years back.
We found we liked having just a double bed down topper instead of an air mattress. We have spent many nights in all kinds of weather the only issue is condensation.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-30-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post
Good news, you have the rollbar for all those crazy positions you can't do in a standard bed. Maybe that's why your windows are wet?

Edit - let me know when you are going, if you want someone to tag along. Sounds like a fun trail to try out.

I just text the wife and said that;
"we should uh... test out the back of the jeep before we go.... wink..."
Hopefully she takes that the way I hope she does....

Sure, come along. We are tagging along with North Texas Jeep Club, we don't know anyone from that club, however we don't want to do the trip on our own so when I saw they were having a run on that trail in December I had to join it. I have 2 buddies that said they will do it with us (one in a super clean TJ, and one in a brand spanking new 2016 2dr). If we get close to 5 jeeps in our own little group I would almost ditch the NTXJC guys and leave before they hit the trail, for no other reason than their group for this trail is getting really big and although there is safety in numbers, too many can cause a slow and frustrating time!

Everyone is meeting Friday at Clayton State Park, then leaving Saturday morning for the trail, camping at the lookout tower Saturday night, finish the trail Sunday morning and head home.

1978 CJ-5
My 2015 JKU build:
post #9 of 14 Old 09-30-2016, 12:11 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treader View Post

Sounds like kinky shit lol
post #10 of 14 Old 09-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Rock God

Quote:
I just text the wife and said that;
"we should uh... test out the back of the jeep before we go.... wink..."
Hopefully she takes that the way I hope she does....
Good luck.

I will look that up, sounds awesome. I don't think my wife would tag along, 2 door and 2 kids. I'm pretty sure I could not sleep in mine, with my situation.

2010 2 door manual sport
post #11 of 14 Old 10-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I use Viet Nam style jungle hammocks with 0 degree mummy bag. Work great.......or you can this other type. lol
Attached Images

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
post #12 of 14 Old 10-03-2016, 11:49 AM
Rock God

post #13 of 14 Old 10-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Granite Guru

I've done it for the past few years and it's not that bad. Besides the air mattresses that folks have mentioned, try to find a level parking spot. It kind of sucks when you're at an angle and keep sliding into one direction the entire night.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-04-2016, 05:32 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfnSnow View Post
I've done it for the past few years and it's not that bad. Besides the air mattresses that folks have mentioned, try to find a level parking spot. It kind of sucks when you're at an angle and keep sliding into one direction the entire night.
You're the first guy I thought of when I saw this thread.
SurfnSnow likes this.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode