New Jeep Owner, question on possible lift and tires - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-14-2016, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

Question New Jeep Owner, question on possible lift and tires

Finally found a used Jeep I can afford, just bought a 2010 Islander Edition. The guy I bought it from mentioned that the 4"lift came standard on the Islander. I've been researching online for a while now, and can't find any mention of standard lifts on the islander. Does anybody here know if this is true? Also, want to get bigger tires for it since the tires somehow seems small to me with the body seating that high. Any advise on best tires (brand and size) I should go for? Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-14-2016, 12:47 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

No jeeps came from the factory with a lift installed. More than likely it was installed by a dealer.

Look around and use the search feature. Lots of people here running 37's with 4 inches of lift.

For tire brand, well that's a tough one, everyone has their input on the best tire brand since that is what they are running on their jeep. I will say that BFG's will never be on my jeep again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 10 Old 09-14-2016, 01:48 PM
Granite Guru

So, are you saying you bought a used Islander with a 4" lift already installed?

Might be better if you posted a pic (or 2) so we can see what you have & give you a better idea where you can go...

BTW, welcome to JKO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-14-2016, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

Pictures

Here's a couple pics.
Attached Images

post #5 of 10 Old 09-14-2016, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. just posted pics below. The previous owner told me that lift was already installed when he bought from original owner, and he thought that the lift came with the Islander edition. Anyways, my problem is I saw the shocks are rusted and might need replacement, just need to make sure I buy the right shocks depending on the lift size (to be honest, not really sure about the lift size now). I found a link here that shows how to figure out size of lift by measuring springs from mount to mount, but that it didn't seem right when I tried it. Again, I'm all new to this and still learning. Thanks again.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-15-2016, 04:26 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

If you're able to, get up under there and take some pics of the actual control arms, shocks, and springs. If it's really dirty under there, then try to wipe off these parts and look for part #'s on any of these components as well as possible brand name(s). From the pics that you posted, it's impossible to tell exactly what's what up under there. Also if you can get some pics of the rear and especially the front-end... things like track-bars, drag-link, tie-rod, brake-lines, etc... that would be very helpful.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #7 of 10 Old 09-15-2016, 05:47 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

also, if you're not already doing-so and/or you exceed the limit on image attachments , use of an online ,free hosting for pix site like photobucket or imgur will let you plug direct link URLs in for your underside /suspension Picts so it'll be easier to help you identify what you bought

<edit: maybe you found or didn't find this image ; can help show best lift height determination based upon stock measurement comparisons >

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 09-16-2016 at 06:08 AM.
post #8 of 10 Old 09-20-2016, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Finally got to take pics of the shocks and springs. Shocks measured 20" and springs 10". Also, the shocks seems to me like it has a spacer, not very familiar with it, so please let me know if thats what it is. Thanks again.
Attached Images

post #9 of 10 Old 09-20-2016, 06:52 PM
Rock God

Looks to me like stock springs and shocks, with a spring spacer lift 2 to 2.5" or so, and a body lift of an inch or two.

Last edited by BigTB; 09-20-2016 at 06:56 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-23-2016, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

@BigTB , that's what I was thinking it was. I read that Islander comes with Rubicon shocks and springs, does 20" sounds right for replacement shocks? Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode