Advice from the fellow jeepers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 Old 09-14-2016, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Advice from the fellow jeepers

So last week a guy pulled out in front of me and ended up totaling my JKU, Which sucks cause i planned on doing a V8 swap the first of the year AND it was paid for. Soooooo Im currently looking for an new one and want some input on the 3.6 vs 3.8. Im planning on running 37's and will eventually do motor swap, once the funds get built back up. Is it worth buying a Rubi Vs a Sport or Sahara. Just wand some advice from the people who have do it and how they would do it again looking back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 09-14-2016, 10:50 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

If I was going to do it again. I would have bought a sport and swapped Xfer case and axles out to 60's.

If you are going to swap motors, then that means that you are going to be going for a pre 2011 so you can save money there instead of buying say a 2016 or 2017.

It sucks that it was totaled, hope you are in one piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 34 Old 09-14-2016, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Is the 3.6 worth the extra money not to do motor swap? everyone was ok, mostly bumps and bruises, except my torn MCL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 09-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter696 View Post
Is the 3.6 worth the extra money not to do motor swap? everyone was ok, mostly bumps and bruises, except my torn MCL
Ok that question I don't know, I am still chugging along in my 3.8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 34 Old 09-14-2016, 11:16 AM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

This is the route I went, and I am happy in general. If i had deep pockets I would do a V8 swap, but the 3.6 does an OK job crossing over the Continental Divide very often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
If I was going to do it again. I would have bought a sport and swapped Xfer case and axles out to 60's.

If you are going to swap motors, then that means that you are going to be going for a pre 2011 so you can save money there instead of buying say a 2016 or 2017.

It sucks that it was totaled, hope you are in one piece.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Rancho Suspension; 09-14-2016 at 11:21 AM.
post #6 of 34 Old 09-14-2016, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The pockets arent deep, i was just in a good spot with that jeep. If a 3.6 does a good job pushing 37's, with the right gears, im good with it. The swap will be down the road due to buying a new jeep (and a kid on the way soon).
post #7 of 34 Old 09-14-2016, 12:19 PM
Wheeler

Wishing you a quick recovery!

Please don't shoot me as I don't have experience moving from the 3.8 to a 3.6, but having driven the 3.6 for a few years now, I thought I'd chime in. Like Rancho stated, the engine does a good job. I don't have as big a build as you're planning, but the 3.6's power is plenty for me. In fact, the only reasons I'd go V8 would be (1) the noise, and (2) to ditch the WA580 auto trans (itís a fine transmission, but the shifting patterns just seem off...thankfully, there's the "manual"-shift option). So, for now, I'll stick with the 3.6. FYI, I have an Unlimited Rubicon, stock 4.10s.
post #8 of 34 Old 09-14-2016, 02:56 PM
Wheeler

I know a few 3.6s around here that are running 37s. Gear were swapped out of course but they aren't mall crawlers either... they are wheeling them pretty hard.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 34 Old 09-14-2016, 02:59 PM
Wheeler

Also... I would go with just a sport and use the funds on upgrading suspension and gears instead of an engine swap.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
post #10 of 34 Old 09-14-2016, 03:20 PM
Granite Guru

The interiors aren't the same if that matters to you. People say the older models seats are not comfortable. And I think the transmission selection makes a difference if you want to keep it for a potential engine swap. I think the Sport choice makes sense if you're going to do a major swap early on, but if you're going to do it over several years I'd rather have the lockers right away for wheeling. Not sure why you would care about the Sahara unless it's the only model you're finding with your desired colors/leather/nav. If you got a good return from insurance and don't care much about building it yourself, there have been some pretty stellar builds that have sold for much less that went into them.
BigBeard likes this.

'13 JKU | 3" Synergy, 37" KO2
post #11 of 34 Old 09-14-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I've been keeping an eye on some of the pre built jeeps out there, I have most of my suspension components already bought. All I need is axles, which I had planned on getting in the next week or two (b4 the wreck happened). I am waiting to find out if I have to have surgery b4 I buy anything. So hopefully I'll get to start seriously looking next week...... Thanks for all the input!!!! Keep it comming!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #12 of 34 Old 09-14-2016, 11:18 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Howdy,
I have an 08' Rubicon and I mostly bought it for the D44's and lockers.
I have had a great time with this Jeep, but as time and money allows,
I've sunk more and more into it.to progressively do harder and harder trails.
As of now, all axle shafts have been broken or bent, upgraded,sleeved,c-gusseted,re-geared to 5.38
Running 37's and flat fenders, going up to 38's, but it's maxed out there
until you do an axle swap, so I'm of the opinion, if you had enough dough
I'd buy the sport,and get the UD60's straight away and build accordingly around those.
Just my opinion,of course.
post #13 of 34 Old 09-16-2016, 01:48 PM
Wheeler

You'd feel less guilty swapping out older parts on a used "sport" per say then a "new" rubicon. So if you plan to run 37 + , just get any sport or saraha.

2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
post #14 of 34 Old 09-17-2016, 07:14 AM
Granite Guru

If you are thinking future motor swap, be careful with gears.

Appropriate gear for a stock motor, will be too deep for a V8. This is especially so of the 3.8 where 5.xx gears are not uncommon.

I am at 4.56 with 35s, and will probably want to go to 37s when I do the Chev swap. This from Motech.

< '81 CJ7, Chev power. Leaf springs baby!

2016 JKU Sport
The good guys: Synergy, Artec, MetalCloak, MCE
- 2.5" MC coils, Synergy arms and drag link flip.
- 37" BFG MTs on 17x8.5 -6

2013 GC... 5.7(MILF command centre)
post #15 of 34 Old 09-17-2016, 07:52 AM
Wheeler

Something else to consider...If you can wait until the JL comes out do that. Prices of JKs will drop, new & used, and you might find something about the JL that really gets your motor running.
post #16 of 34 Old 09-17-2016, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-OR View Post
If you are thinking future motor swap, be careful with gears.

Appropriate gear for a stock motor, will be too deep for a V8. This is especially so of the 3.8 where 5.xx gears are not uncommon.

I am at 4.56 with 35s, and will probably want to go to 37s when I do the Chev swap. This from Motech.
If i stock, i will prob go the 4.88 gears in 1-ton axles, a motor swap would prob be a little down the road. i think i would be ok with the 4.88 once i do the v8 swap.
post #17 of 34 Old 10-05-2016, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sooooooooo, decided to buy the jeep back, and get a truck to daily drive....... stay tuned for updates!!!!!!!!

1eviljk likes this.
post #18 of 34 Old 10-05-2016, 08:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter696 View Post
Sooooooooo, decided to buy the jeep back, and get a truck to daily drive....... stay tuned for updates!!!!!!!!
Well then, when does the sawsall get fired up? And not for your knee.

Kevin
post #19 of 34 Old 10-06-2016, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ended up not having surgery( torn minicus, sprained ACL & MCL, bone bruises on either side of my knee) got off crutches this week. Will prob pick up the jeep next week and then the fun begins

post #20 of 34 Old 10-13-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So jeep will be delivered tomorrow, and I have most everything I'm not going to use sold already, next question for my fellow jeepers, I'm wanting to run at least 37's maybe 40's and keep the COG as low as possible...... what setup have y'all seen/ are running

ogutierr66 likes this.
post #21 of 34 Old 11-08-2016, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Update
jeep is stripped, and looking pretty naked! Figured out that there was more frame damage than I originally thought. Will be taking to a buddy's shop to straighten soonish.
Picked up super duty axles today and will start to strip them down and get ready to put them under the jeep. Still trying to decide what motor and suspension to run though..... more to come

post #22 of 34 Old 01-17-2017, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

So i haven't had a lot of time to work on the jeep since i got it back. It is going to my buddy's shop next week to get started. What tire is going to give me the best performance off road but still have decent road manners. she isnt going to be a daily driver but would like to keep her from becoming a trailer queen. I have a deal set up on some stickies but really dont know if i want to buy 2 sets of tires

Build sheet below:
Dana 60 front
sterling rear
4 link front and rear
Coilovers front and rear
5:13 gears
air lockers
custom tube fenders, bumpers, and rockers
Custom cage
Atlas t-case
40" tires ( still looking at what i want)
post #23 of 34 Old 01-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Wheeler

Glad you decided to keep it. I was going to ask what the damage was considering the called it a total loss. I hope you are doing fine now.
post #24 of 34 Old 01-17-2017, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Front fender, hood, grill, front axle, links and steering.... with some frame damage as well

post #25 of 34 Old 01-17-2017, 08:44 AM
JKO Addict!

Your not going to like driving around on 40's with 5.13 gears and the stock drivetrain.

Some build info here:

[COLOR="Red"]New to jeeps, check this link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode