Bfg ko2 vs Hankook dynapro mt - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 09-08-2016, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bfg ko2 vs Hankook dynapro mt

It's time to drop a few dimes on some new shoes and I think I have it narrowed down to the bfg ko2 and the hankook dynapro mt. I know some of you guys have run this so lets hear the pros and cons. I have a 2014 jkur with 2" lift and wheel spacers, that is mostly a daily driver(100+ miles a day) but I do hit the trail when time and money alow(3-5 times a year). I'm looking for a good all around do it all tire with good road manners and good tread life. So lets hear it??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-08-2016, 08:50 AM
Granite Guru

The KO2 is an all-terrain, and as such is not comparable to the DynaPro MT on any level.
The KO2 is going to be nearly silent, very smooth, wear very well and be a great all around tire for on and off-road use as long as thick/slimy mud is not your terrain.

The DynaPro is not Mud Grappler loud, but it hums a little. Not bad. I ran this tire on a lifted Hummer H3 Adventure and it wore decently (not like a KO2), worked great off road (including in mud that would kill the KO2), rode decent (not like a KO2), and balanced just fine. You do feel the rows of lugs when starting out or coming to a stop. They look good enough with a nice aggressive sidewall lug to them, but they had 2 colors of rubber on the sidewall that drove me crazy! When you clean them and coat them with tire dressing, it was barely seen. But as soon as the tire dressing started to fade away, the two shades of rubber made itself horribly apparent. It made my skin crawl!

I wouldn't buy the DynaPro MT again being that the better looking and better performing Cooper STT Pro is out in full swing, and available in every small town across the country.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6, Mango Tango.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
post #3 of 15 Old 09-08-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I have looked at the Cooper STT pro, good looking tire but I can get a better deal on the tires I have mentioned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 09-08-2016, 05:43 PM
Granite Guru

I know that it is not on your short list, but have you considered to Goodyear Duratrac? I ran a set of 35's for 80,000 miles. Loved them on and off road. And yes, 80,000 miles.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
The KO2 is an all-terrain, and as such is not comparable to the DynaPro MT on any level.
The KO2 is going to be nearly silent, very smooth, wear very well and be a great all around tire for on and off-road use as long as thick/slimy mud is not your terrain.

The DynaPro is not Mud Grappler loud, but it hums a little. Not bad. I ran this tire on a lifted Hummer H3 Adventure and it wore decently (not like a KO2), worked great off road (including in mud that would kill the KO2), rode decent (not like a KO2), and balanced just fine. You do feel the rows of lugs when starting out or coming to a stop. They look good enough with a nice aggressive sidewall lug to them, but they had 2 colors of rubber on the sidewall that drove me crazy! When you clean them and coat them with tire dressing, it was barely seen. But as soon as the tire dressing started to fade away, the two shades of rubber made itself horribly apparent. It made my skin crawl!

I wouldn't buy the DynaPro MT again being that the better looking and better performing Cooper STT Pro is out in full swing, and available in every small town across the country.

while they won't compete as a true mud tire , like the highly rated and capable Dynapro M/T , I've not had any issue with even clay-filled-soup-alabama mud that I could not avoid once early this year. The KO2s were makin it right thru whatever a set of Nitto Trailgrapplers and a set of 42" TSLs were all day as we wheeled Stoney Lonesome( even tho I avoid mud like the plague when possible) ; other than some debris between bead and wheel from runnin the 37s at 11psi - as low as I will go w/o beadlocks- I was able to make it right thru with accelerator and they cleaned out after I drove forward a couple yards and blipped the throttle. This stuff im talkin about was Mother Nature's own special half-dried oatmeal-concrete-yogurt-blend mud. I still find it all over the Jeep. KO2s no issue. They are not an MT but when I need to hit the nasty stuff I never worry. hope that helps; the Hankooks are supposed to be awesome, they just look a little long-in-tooth but who cares?

I highly recommend the KO2s as they will not cease to amaze you offroad for how civil they are on.

<edit: I think I have posted this someplace else on here or someplace else. These are becoming my goto pix for anyone sayin KO2s cant handle goopy stuff well. heh. yawn>

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old 09-09-2016, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I would love a set of GY duratracs or cooper sst pros but both are outside of my budget. I can get the bfg ko2's cheaper then the hankook dynapro's which is why I'm leaning that way. I've run bfg km and km2's for over 20 yrs on trucks and jeeps and love them but they are sadly no longer in my price range. My bro n law just picked up a set of nitto terra grapple g2's for pretty cheap but I'm not crazy about the look of them. Not very aggressive.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-09-2016, 06:52 AM
Granite Guru

Call around local tire shops and ask for the best price out the door on the STT Pro. Call them all. I did that and I found a mom and pop tire shop that got me the 5 STT Pro tires in 37x13.5-18 for $1700 cash, mounted/balanced, out the door. I handed him 17 $100 bills and walked away. The BFG your looking at was over $360 more for 5 tires. Forget the online retailers, go local for Cooper. Someone around you is likely a Cooper whore that has good pricing because they kill it in volume. That was why this guy was so low, he pushed Cooper tires hard and moved a metric shit ton.

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.

post #8 of 15 Old 09-09-2016, 07:35 AM
Rock God

would agree with above, we have a local shop that sells so many of them I actually asked him if they were made locally or something.

seems many shops around here push the coops.

I roll on BFG myself but that's just me.

2008 JK
6spd
3.73:1
post #9 of 15 Old 09-09-2016, 07:55 AM
Granite Guru

And toss the offer out there for cash money, no receipt. That was how I got my best deal with my guy. Cash in his hand, tax free, shoved straight into his pants pocket, not the cash drawer.

post #10 of 15 Old 09-09-2016, 09:38 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzammit View Post
I would love a set of GY duratracs or cooper sst pros but both are outside of my budget. I can get the bfg ko2's cheaper then the hankook dynapro's which is why I'm leaning that way. I've run bfg km and km2's for over 20 yrs on trucks and jeeps and love them but they are sadly no longer in my price range. My bro n law just picked up a set of nitto terra grapple g2's for pretty cheap but I'm not crazy about the look of them. Not very aggressive.
I have General Grabber AT2's on my Rubicon and so far I LOVE them... Look fairly aggressive for an AT, QUIET on the road, and so far they have done great in the rocks, sand, and mud here in AZ. Pretty affordable too.

Amp'd 14 JK Unlimited Rubicon | RE 2.5 Lift | RK Control Arms | Poison Spyder Brawler Bumper & Narrow Crusher Flares | JW Speaker Headlights and Tails | Vision-X LEDs | Adams Shafts | Method Mesh Wheels | 35x12.50x17 General Grabber AT2's | SuperChips FlashPaq | Pioneer 8100NEX

post #11 of 15 Old 09-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

to be fair, I had Cooper STTs prior to the KO2s and they were virtually indestructable. They were not this new 'Pro' STT version but Cooper in general makes really good tires ( and owns the molds that many, many other tire manufacturers use). OP referenced Hankook or BFGs thus the reason for my elaboration on the latter of those , fwiw

post #12 of 15 Old 09-09-2016, 02:57 PM

K02s, enough said.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
post #13 of 15 Old 09-26-2016, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I went with the BFG KO2'S in 315/70r17 and I am extremely happy. Looks and rides like a whole different jeep! My wife doesn't even mind driving it now that it doesn't feel like driving tractor. My only concern is that the bigger tires are pretty close to the rubicon rock rails. Anyone out there have any input on this? Is it a big enough issue to consider chopping it back or replacing? I hate to cut on perfectly good parts but will if I have to...
post #14 of 15 Old 09-26-2016, 07:56 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Pop the plastic caps out, cut, rattle can bare metal and put the caps back in. No big deal. 2014's don't even have to deal with the pinch seam. I hammered mine flat.

2009 JKU
post #15 of 15 Old 09-26-2016, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzammit View Post
I went with the BFG KO2'S in 315/70r17 and I am extremely happy. Looks and rides like a whole different jeep! My wife doesn't even mind driving it now that it doesn't feel like driving tractor. My only concern is that the bigger tires are pretty close to the rubicon rock rails. Anyone out there have any input on this? Is it a big enough issue to consider chopping it back or replacing? I hate to cut on perfectly good parts but will if I have to...

yup; told ya the KO2 would be a win win.
you'll be surprised when you see how little they wear as the miles build up if you keep them aired properly for your weight JK ( my 4 door weighs 4660 with the spare and all my offroading 'stuff' so I keep my 37s at 24.5psi front and 24psi rear) , which is important. fwiw:I also rotate religiously RIGHT AT 3000 miles in a 5 tire rotation.
10k miles and just under a 2/32 of wear =amazing for such a soft feeling compound.

re: rock rails, even if it looks close, they will probably not hit unless you're really stuffin the tire as far as you can . If you wheel very uneven and big rocks, maybe cut them ... whacking a inch or two off the rails is a very easy process.

glad ya got your tires!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode