Drop in air filter - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 09-11-2008, 05:57 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Drop in air filter

Anyone know of any after market, dry air filters? I have looked at AFE, AEM, but no luck. I do not want one that uses oil.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer - Frank Zappa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 09-11-2008, 07:00 AM
JKO Addict!

not sure what you have against oil air filters... I've probably put on over 150K miles on two other vehicles with them on. I even had one in the jeep for about 5 months.

Never had an issue with it.

Good luck on your search for a dry filter...

Last edited by Grant211; 09-11-2008 at 07:06 AM.
post #3 of 24 Old 09-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Rock God

I've run K&N filters in everyhting with wheels for several years, no problems at all. If you think about it, the buying public decides what products live and die. If the K&N filters were ruining motors, they would no longer be around.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 09-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
I've run K&N filters in everyhting with wheels for several years, no problems at all. If you think about it, the buying public decides what products live and die. If the K&N filters were ruining motors, they would no longer be around.
What he said
post #5 of 24 Old 09-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Rock God

I don't know, but I run a K&N in my JK with no problems...

07 JK Unlimited X- mildly modified

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 24 Old 09-11-2008, 07:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

The True Flow XDi air intake uses a dry filter that looks pretty nice.Looks to have good protestion from elements/ water. Have yet to hear any feedback from anyone that is actually using it. Not cheap at about $340.
post #7 of 24 Old 09-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Rock God

The XDI actually uses a oiled foam filter, I checked into them already. The only dry filters I've seen are the ones in AEM's kits and AFE's kits. No drop ins available from what i've seen though.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #8 of 24 Old 09-11-2008, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

My bad...Didnt think you could oil a foam element w/ o it deteriorating/ breaking down. I always hated cleaning my oiled AFE in my TJ. The oily residue was a PITA when it got all over the driveway, etc...Must be a more efficient way to clean those than the way I was doing it.
post #9 of 24 Old 09-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Rock God

S&B's filters always looked fairly easy to oil. they give you a applicator that allows you to put just the right amount of oil on it and not to much. I don't know about cleaning it though, I imagine its just like any other oiled filter. I'm curious as to weather Volant has a Powercore filter for their CAI for our jeeps yet. Thats a disposable filter made by Donaldson (very good filter company) that filters very well and lasts about 100,000miles before needing replaced.

Another option is to make up a CAI and use Amsoil's new Nano filters. They use the same material as Volant's power core filters, but they are a traditional cone type filter, and its reusable, just blow it out with low press. shop air. Only drop in filters I've found for our jeeps though are K&N and a STP factory style replacement.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #10 of 24 Old 09-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Granite Guru

I use AEM brute force works great.

Rubicon Unlimited, Rescue Green, Warn bumper, Aux lighting, Warn Powerplant, Warn dif protecectors, Rock Hard Rear Bumper all accessories, 5.38, 37x12.50MT on 17"Moto Metals, Edelbrock Extreme Travel shocks, Russell ext S,S, brake lines, Superlift 4'' CAI, Magna Flow, Cobra CB, Staun deflators, Huskey mats, Grab Handles, set up to flat tow, Oil, tranny, shock, muffler & control arm skids, , Chrome, sils, grill inserts & light cages.
post #11 of 24 Old 09-12-2008, 05:56 AM
Wheeler

Volant has a powercore for the JK. Part # for the box, tube, and powercore filter is #176386
post #12 of 24 Old 09-12-2008, 08:26 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John L View Post
If you think about it, the buying public decides what products live and die. If the K&N filters were ruining motors, they would no longer be around.
Cigarettes are still around...

I don't think there will be any aftermarket JK filters until Chrysler's contract period (exclusivity clause) expires. Then you'll see a $5 Purolator.

Safety fast,

Get to know
post #13 of 24 Old 09-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Cigarettes are still around...

I don't think there will be any aftermarket JK filters until Chrysler's contract period (exclusivity clause) expires. Then you'll see a $5 Purolator.
True, cigarettes are still around. I smoke them. I know they are bad for my health. But I enjoy it. My choice.
No one will ever say I know brand x air filter is bad for my motor, but I don't care. People tend to take better care of their possessions than their own health. McDonalds is still around. So is ice cream. Both are proven to be bad for you. Damn, I'm hungry now And I need a smoke

/jl

post #14 of 24 Old 09-12-2008, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that there was a drop in like the K&N, but without oil since I do not like the idea of introducing oil to my sensor. I sent AEM an e-mail, and I will let you know what they say when/if they respond. I would just keep the OEM one, but was hoping to find a reusable one since I wheel in a lot of dusty places and the OEM ones start to add up after a while.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer - Frank Zappa

post #15 of 24 Old 09-12-2008, 03:21 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcM View Post
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping that there was a drop in like the K&N, but without oil since I do not like the idea of introducing oil to my sensor. I sent AEM an e-mail, and I will let you know what they say when/if they respond. I would just keep the OEM one, but was hoping to find a reusable one since I wheel in a lot of dusty places and the OEM ones start to add up after a while.
You can extend the life of your OEM filters, first by lightly tapping the surround on your garage floor while holding the filter dirty side down. Or hold it in your hand and tap with something. This will knock out the loose stuff. Then using an airhose you can blow out the filter from the clean (motor) side. Always blow in the reverse direction of the normal flow. This was a procedure taught to the mechanics at a national tuneup chain I worked at in another life. Works pretty good.

/jl

post #16 of 24 Old 09-12-2008, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks, I will give it a shot!

post #17 of 24 Old 09-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

Quote:
if you are properly oiling your filter you are not introducing ANY oil to your sensors. Walking down the hallway holding the air filter more air passes through the filter at a faster speed then when it is installed in the jeep and the jeep is running.

08 Rubicon Unlimited-Just about stock!
I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money... You keep "The Change"!
Ask me about SH!TTY companies like Full Traction, Pure Jeep, and others!
post #18 of 24 Old 09-26-2008, 03:38 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasjeep View Post
if you are properly oiling your filter you are not introducing ANY oil to your sensors. Walking down the hallway holding the air filter more air passes through the filter at a faster speed then when it is installed in the jeep and the jeep is running.
x2. The original oiling lasts for 50,000 miles or until needed to clean. So when the need arrises, just don't over oil.

Colorado Mountains = Land of Mountain Trails

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. 1 Corinthians 13

'08 JK Sahara, Jeep Green, BFG MT's, Pro Comp 4" Lift, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, Olympic BOA front & Olympic Defender rear bumpers, Olympic A/T Slider Rails, Spidertrax Spacers, SeatGlover Seat Covers, Bestop TrekTop, Husky Mats, Midland 75-822 CB, Magellan Maestro 3250.
post #19 of 24 Old 09-26-2008, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I think I will just stay with the stock box and filter for now. Thanks for the replies.

post #20 of 24 Old 01-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Granite Guru

Afe has a drop in replacement filter now I was thinking of giving it a try, I was going to get the k&n but hate oiling, what do you all think. Check it out here http://www.quadratec.com/products/17102_1002.htm

13 2dr bright white Ruby
Poison Spyder hood louver
Rugged Ridge hood latches
A crap load more to buy
post #21 of 24 Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 PM
JKO Addict!

I am building my own

|
|
post #22 of 24 Old 01-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

Quote:
you are not adding oil to your sensor on a properly oiled filter.

the air is passing through the filter at NO MORE then 1 mile per hour. walking speed.!!!!!

Its a MYTH

08 Rubicon Unlimited-Just about stock!
I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money... You keep "The Change"!
Ask me about SH!TTY companies like Full Traction, Pure Jeep, and others!
post #23 of 24 Old 01-19-2009, 11:32 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasjeep View Post
you are not adding oil to your sensor on a properly oiled filter.

the air is passing through the filter at NO MORE then 1 mile per hour. walking speed.!!!!!

Its a MYTH

I can vouch it is not a myth.

Everybody says it is but I had my sensor get gummed up on the Evo. Granted the air is moving MUCH faster through the filter on a turbo car running 28 lbs of boost but the fact is I no longer use oiled filters.

For that reason and because I do not think they filter as well
post #24 of 24 Old 01-20-2009, 07:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I was just going through the normal check up and looked at the air filter and it's a Denso... never used one of these before... I'm going to replace it with a K&N... have one on my XJ... are they a cotton filter? I can't find any info on it...

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.

Last edited by 07unlimitedx; 01-20-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode