Jk 44 in an Mj - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Jk 44 in an Mj

I don't own a jk, but i figured it would be a good idea to ask actual owners.
I'm looking to do a Jk Rubicon front 44 swap into my MJ. My first concern was the cracked tubes, was that a bad batch or has this been a common problem? What have some of you guys done to beef them up? How well do the lockers hold up, have there been any problems with them? How hard would it be to wire it up to a simple 12v switch? Do you guy think its a worthwhile swap or am i better of narrowing a HP44 from a Ford?

Thanks in Advance,
Daniel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 07:22 PM
Openly Hostile

The JK 44 axles are a steal for the price I think. The axle tubes are small...I have seen two or three people break a tube...and the C's seem to like to bend with bigger tires. Off road evolution has some brackets you can weld on to reinforce the C's tho. The locker does a pretty decent job, I think they are like anything else...there are always a few issues here and there. Also, it is easy to hook up a switch to activate the locker.

Jason
post #3 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Rock God

What's an MJ and to shoot from the hip wouldn't width be an issue?

I've "heard" of two out of how many thousands(?) breaking tubes and only a few out of (again) how many thousands(?) bending the C's. It appears to me as though the new and improved D44 really is the new and improved D44.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 09-08-2008, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
What's an MJ?
The last jeep pickup ever made, they stopped making it shortly after Chrysler took over so the Dakota would have a better chance.
post #5 of 10 Old 09-09-2008, 08:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGreyMJ View Post
The last jeep pickup ever made, they stopped making it shortly after Chrysler took over so the Dakota would have a better chance.
Wohoo, also known as the Comanche. I had an '89 back around 2000-2002. I loved that truck. I always wondered why they stopped making them. Sometimes I still regret selling it

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #6 of 10 Old 09-09-2008, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

one more question- is a 16 the smallest wheel that will fit on a jk?
post #7 of 10 Old 09-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Granite Guru

There are some 15" that will work, but not all.

Jeff M.
2007 Rubicon Unlimited 4", 37's, 5.13's, and stuff
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, jeep jk unlimited, jk rubicon,
post #8 of 10 Old 09-09-2008, 12:19 PM
Alec W

Iím running 37s on a Rubicon, havenít been nice to it on the trails and they are holding up. I lost a C-Clip so had to replace a UJ and stub shaft but that could happen with any axle.

I havenít read about too many issues but then again most JKs like any other new model 4x4 donít get pushed too hard. Iíd say the jury is still out but leaning towards finding the defendant innocent
post #9 of 10 Old 09-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by DansGreyMJ View Post
Okay, I just missed buying one this summer by about 15 minutes. Didn't know its designation. Keep us posted on this build.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #10 of 10 Old 09-09-2008, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seer View Post
Okay, I just missed buying one this summer by about 15 minutes. Didn't know its designation. Keep us posted on this build.
I will, but it wont start for a couple months because I'm gonna be moving soon.
I'll probably swap them in and run them stock on 33-35s for a little bit until i upgrade them some more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode