"35" tires are not safe at highway speeds" - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

"35" tires are not safe at highway speeds"

I have a brother-in-law who is an engineer (not the train kind). Last night I was telling him about the build I had in mind (manual Sport, 35" duratracs, 3" lift, 4.56 gears). He asserted that 35" tires were nothing short of suicide because they will be so difficult to handle at highway speeds. Can I please get a soundoff from some of you folks who have 35s and drive at highway speeds safely? He also blathered on that I would need a bunch of other upgrades to safely run 35s beyond a lift and gears (brakes, upgraded axles, other crap I didn't listen to because I was concentrating on not punching his face).

I really like the look of 35s, but I am not going to wheel that much and this will be a DD. Now I'm wondering if the 35s might be overkill...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 09:05 AM
Rock God

Just because a person is educated doesn't mean they aren't a fucktard. Do what you said and add C'gussets for trail use and you will be fine for the most part. If your going to go 3" make sure it is a complete quality kit with some way of correcting the caster and recentering the axles otherwise it will drive like shit. I would recommend going 2 1/2 instead of 3 for a daily driver with 35's.

'11 JKUR, 3" Full-Traction w/5100's, 37x17 Trail Graps on Slabs, 10 Fact Axles, Adams front DS, TF44 front, PSC Hydro Assist. Home made sliders, bumpers, tire carrier. Warn XD9000i w/Smitty Synth line.
post #3 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 09:18 AM
Granite Guru

Jeep actually sells a JK with 35"s this year. It is a limited edition but if it was unsafe the liability would have kept them from doing it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 09:48 AM
Rock God

Garage

I always advocate brake upgrades for daily drivers when upgrading. Rotational mass and inertia are real.
The rest, meh. CJs, YJs, TJs and XJs have been doing it fairly consistently on weaker axles.
It is all about using the right parts to maintain or improve steering geometry and roll centers/instant centers.
I put about 65 000 km (40k miles) of highway driving with 37's. I did incorporate Rebel rear and Teraflex Big brakes into mine.
post #5 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Whoah really? I thought I went through the whole lineup online while I was planning my build. I don't remember seeing that. Do you remember the name of the model or any other details?
post #6 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 10:16 AM
Granite Guru

I drove 80 miles a day on my 2010 sport for 2 friggin years to go to work and home on a teraflex leveling kit with 3:21's and an auto. Sucked ass on gas mileage but didn't have a single problem otherwise.

EX-JC
post #7 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmango View Post
I drove 80 miles a day on my 2010 sport for 2 friggin years to go to work and home on a teraflex leveling kit with 3:21's and an auto. Sucked ass on gas mileage but didn't have a single problem otherwise.
Thanks mango!
post #8 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnoxious1 View Post
Just because a person is educated doesn't mean they aren't a fucktard. Do what you said and add C'gussets for trail use and you will be fine for the most part. If your going to go 3" make sure it is a complete quality kit with some way of correcting the caster and recentering the axles otherwise it will drive like shit. I would recommend going 2 1/2 instead of 3 for a daily driver with 35's.
Thank you
post #9 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 10:36 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
Jeep actually sells a JK with 35"s this year. It is a limited edition but if it was unsafe the liability would have kept them from doing it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by estark573 View Post
Whoah really? I thought I went through the whole lineup online while I was planning my build. I don't remember seeing that. Do you remember the name of the model or any other details?
It is the Redrock edition. They only made 50 of them.

...and I daily drive a 2 door w/37" bias plies. It is still more stable feeling than my 55 Buick and most 60's cars.

Last edited by Ronson; 03-20-2016 at 10:39 AM.
post #10 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 10:48 AM
Wheeler

Not only do I run 35" Duratracs on my jk with a 3" lift as a dd... But i also ran 35" Duratracs on my 7.3 Excursion as a tow vehicle. NEvER have I had an issue with either. Ive taken the Excursion to Canada , Indiana, all over Mi hauling my old

Does he drive a Prius?

Last edited by Brattt; 03-21-2016 at 06:00 AM.
post #11 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 12:41 PM
Granite Guru

Friends don't let friends listen to engineers

If I took his advice, I should have died since I put 30,000 plus miles on my 2 door JK on 37's.

It's a Jeep, not a Ferrari and if you don't try to drive it like one you will be fine.
post #12 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Rock God

Been DD highway for 4 years now on either 35 or 37 tires. 3 years for sure on 37" Irok.

No issues there.

2008 JKU: continual work in progress
post #13 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 01:41 PM
Rock God

I have 42000 miles on my 14 jkur with 2.5" rk lift and toyo 35's and live where speed limit is 80mph. We travel the speed limit and it handles great. It does however not stop as good as when I run my winter tires which are ko2 34x10.5-17's.
post #14 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 02:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
It is the Redrock edition. They only made 50 of them.

...and I daily drive a 2 door w/37" bias plies. It is still more stable feeling than my 55 Buick and most 60's cars.
I know, I've seen him do it.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #15 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 06:41 PM

I daily drive 37's on no lift currently lol --flat fenders and wheel spacers, lcog ftw!
(awaiting install of my lift in a few weeks)

I just cut off a generous amount of the pinch seam.

Last edited by co_jku; 03-20-2016 at 06:51 PM.
post #16 of 55 Old 03-20-2016, 10:02 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I have a brother-in-law who is an engineer (not the train kind). Last night I was telling him about the build I had in mind (manual Sport, 35" duratracs, 3" lift, 4.56 gears). He asserted that 35" tires were nothing short of suicide because they will be so difficult to handle at highway speeds. Can I please get a soundoff from some of you folks who have 35s and drive at highway speeds safely? He also blathered on that I would need a bunch of other upgrades to safely run 35s beyond a lift and gears (brakes, upgraded axles, other crap I didn't listen to because I was concentrating on not punching his face).

I really like the look of 35s, but I am not going to wheel that much and this will be a DD. Now I'm wondering if the 35s might be overkill...
Your BIL needs to go back to school or go out and get some real world experience, or both. Back in the '80s people were having a come-apart over the CJ's (supposed) tendency to roll over too. Use some common sense people!

If everything all the naysayers say were actually true, the Wrangler would not exist. I also saw a news report a couple of years ago about some dork here in the Bay Area screaming for Jeep to recall all the wranglers or stop production, just because his developed death wobble.

Bottom line: Chicken Little is alive and well, and seems to have taken up temporary residence within your BIL. The scads of people running 35s, 37s, and a few even 40s on the streets, would seem to contradict his "wisdom."

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #17 of 55 Old 03-21-2016, 04:48 AM
Rock God

Took this yesterday.
Smooth as can be with no trouble keeping it between the lines. I travel at this speed almost everyday on my daily commute. (I know I know, but I don't do it through traffic).

https://youtu.be/NVqyWiiu2fU

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #18 of 55 Old 03-21-2016, 05:09 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Engineers are funny guys..... ask him to draw a asshole on paper..... then ask him to make it shit....

I guess my 37's running 75 or 80mph doesn't count....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #19 of 55 Old 03-21-2016, 05:29 AM
Gib
Rock God

So all those Ford Raptors, and Hummer H2s that are roaming around that came from the factory with 35 inch tires must be unsafe too. Sounds like dude needs to load back up in his prius and hit the books. Either he's jealous of you, or he's a massive dick.
post #20 of 55 Old 03-21-2016, 06:59 AM
Granite Guru

Just cause "everyone is doing it" and there haven't been issues doesn't mean it's the safest thing to do.

Yes bigger tires will impact braking/handling etc. but probably no where near what the BIL thinks.

Big Brake upgrades is definitely a good idea when going up in tire size, that is the only real safety issue in my opinion, but even then, if you know the limitations and drive accordingly, everything should be fine. Like someone said, it's not a damn Ferrari, it's a Jeep.

Jeepless
post #21 of 55 Old 03-21-2016, 07:12 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

All you need to know is that you should have just punched him in the face. Maybe a couple times just to let it soak in.

Kevin
post #22 of 55 Old 03-21-2016, 08:17 AM
Wheeler

I run my DD on 37s with a 5.5" lift and drive 3,000 miles to Cabo on the interstates doing 70 plus mph and it handles as good as stock, can let go of the wheel and it drives straight,then beet the heck out of it on the rocks and drive it back ,just build up the axles to take the larger tires
There's lots of info here to learn how to do that.
Good luck with your build

LS 6.2 6L80
post #23 of 55 Old 03-21-2016, 02:09 PM
Wheeler

Quote:

Should have punched him. Absolutely BS.

Sure it won't handle like a car but far from unsafe if caster and alignment is good.

I have 37's and feels no different than the 35's they replaced which felt just fine
post #24 of 55 Old 03-21-2016, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTheRipper View Post
Took this yesterday.
Smooth as can be with no trouble keeping it between the lines. I travel at this speed almost everyday on my daily commute. (I know I know, but I don't do it through traffic).

https://youtu.be/NVqyWiiu2fU

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
It's official. You're crazy. In a good way.
post #25 of 55 Old 03-21-2016, 02:31 PM
WINNAR!

Garage

Quote:

Should have punched his face then posted it to Youtube for a profit.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode