Oil level high on dipstick - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-18-2016, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Oil level high on dipstick

Hey guys I have a quick question.
I just had the first oil change done on my Willys Wheeler by the dealership. Oil level is reading high on the dipstick. Oil is up on the braided steel part of the dipstick

A call to the dealership let us know that a little high isn't a problem and not to worry about it. I was told to bring it in to get looked at.

I have never heard anyone say too much oil isn't a big deal.

Some google power has come up with tons of people talking about their dipsticks not being accurate on their Jk's and discussing whether or not being over filled on oil is ok.

Any opinions or help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-19-2016, 11:07 AM
Rock God

Garage

Reason I change my own oil.

I put 6 quarts in and it's on the oil indicator at the end of the dipstick. It's roughly in the middle on flat ground. (I assume you're checking it on level/flat ground).

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #3 of 9 Old 03-19-2016, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

Oil was checked on level ground in my garage. Dealership had two different people check it on level ground at the shop. they told me that it's normal on the 3.6 motor to read a little high on the dipstick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-20-2016, 10:59 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

I'm not a mechanic, but my understanding is that a little high on the stick ok. But if you're checking the oil level and it's high by an inch or more can cause damage to your engine. If it's in the crosshatched area you're ok. If that's the area that you're referring to as the braided steel, then you should be just fine.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-22-2016, 02:32 PM
Rock God

Garage
Red face High

When they told you not to drive high, they were not talking about the oil level.....

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-23-2016, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Vryce
The area I'm talking about is above the hatch marks where you normally measure the oil. My oil level is on the cable part of the dipstick.
If I get a chance I will put a picture up it would probably make it easier to explain.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I haven't pull the dipstick on my Jeep to compare it to what you're saying, but it sounds like you have way too much oil in there. Pictures will definitely help though.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-24-2016, 12:13 PM

I have the same issue with the 2014 I recently purchased. When I picked it up the dealer had just changed the oil and I really had a hard time seeing where the oil level was. Thought it was on the high side touching the cable. Now that the oil has darkened a little it is reading high. I am going to let some out and see how much it is over. I really don't like that cable dipstick. If anyone knows of a "standard" one to replace it I would appreciate it.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-24-2016, 01:46 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion75 View Post
Oil was checked on level ground in my garage. Dealership had two different people check it on level ground at the shop. they told me that it's normal on the 3.6 motor to read a little high on the dipstick.
Funny, that's the exact opposite of reality. JK's have been coming up short on the dipstick since day one. If it was normal they wouldn't have had you bring it back in and have 2 different people look at it.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode