Changed Brake Lines, No More Squealing. WTF? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-15-2016, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Changed Brake Lines, No More Squealing. WTF?

Okay, (I think) I know a lot about auto mechanics, but I have something that has me truly stumped.

So, I have had a problem with brake squeal since an off road trip almost a year ago. It was all 4 corners and seemed to get worse in cold temps. I tried the following...

Brake clean and anti-squeal
New Pads
New Rotors
Bleeding the entire system twice

I finally gave up and just lived with it. However, after giving up about 3 months ago, I installed all new braided stainless steel lines today. I bled the brakes, sprayed break clean and went for a ride. Instantly, all 4 brakes stop squealing. I drove for 2 hours today. I went from horrible squealing every time the pedal was pressed to absolutely no noise whatsoever.

So... any mad scientists out there with any idea why upgrading from stock rubber hoses to braided SS lines fixed a squeal? Four of them to be exact?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

L/¯¯\\_ |"/¯¯¯(ºlllllllº)

_(¯))==))..(¯))==))

Last edited by marcspaz; 03-15-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-16-2016, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quick bump in case someone has any ideas. This is really stumping me and I would love to know how to troubleshoot/diagnose issues in the future.

Thanks,
Spaz

_(¯))==))..(¯))==))
post #3 of 4 Old 03-16-2016, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

OEM brake hoses are rubber and over time can age , crack and be stretched by swelling under pressure ( affected by temps) - or if you have a lift and stretch them at full drooping - to the point that they are far less effective at actuating the callipers ...combine that w/ too little or too much brake fluid after changing and you'll have (potentially) partially compressed calipers that can squeak ...you replaced the lines w/ nice, non-expanding ,likely reinforced hoses that are now fully engaging your brake calipers....mine did it when I added new ,longer Crown brake hoses a few years back....maybe that helps ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-16-2016, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

huh... Makes sense. I didn't really think about the possibility of the calipers being partially compressed due to stressed rubber lines. There is a good possibility that's what happening.

I put a 2.5 inch lift on it last year, but didn't change the lines. I swapped them now so when I go wheeling they will be okay. The stockers were stretched to the point that I was shocked they held together.

_(¯))==))..(¯))==))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode