Hemi Rubicon Value - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 03-14-2016, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hemi Rubicon Value

Please forgive me if this is the wrong section for this, but I'm not sure where to ask this question. I've looked online a good bit over the last month or two, and I'm getting a wide range of "values" but nothing that helps me get a good grasp.

I have a line on a 2007 Unlimited Rubicon with a 5.7L Hemi swap. The swap is done well using a JSS kit, and the rest of the rig is stock. The engine has about 70k on it, and the Jeep has about 110k on it. The Jeep is dirty, scratches, a few dings here and there, but I'm confident I can clean up the paint and interior enough to make it look nice.

What I'd like to do is try to estimate how much it'll be worth if I do what I'm thinking about doing.

I'd clean it up, and fix anything wrong with it.
Budget boost lift
37's or 35's
Spacers or Racelines
Corner armor
Bumpers
Winch

You think it would be worth $30k at that point? $25k?

I know a lot of the answer will come down to the quality of parts/kits I use to put it together, but I'm trying to decide if what I found is as good of a deal as I think it is.

Bring on the

AKA: "American" on PBB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 03-14-2016, 11:26 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

How much do they want for it now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 18 Old 03-14-2016, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

About $19k. If I end up not buying it, I can post his contact info. Needs new fan shroud, tailgate, muffler, and wheel speed sensors (and cleaned up).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 03-14-2016, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Wright View Post
About $19k. If I end up not buying it, I can post his contact info. Needs new fan shroud, tailgate, muffler, and wheel speed sensors (and cleaned up).
I don't want to buy it. 19K is a pretty good deal. Of course if the body is totally trashed out that might affect the price. But still it has a hemi already installed.

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 18 Old 03-14-2016, 12:41 PM
Rock God

The typical V8 install is about $20k, if done by someone else. I know there are outliers, but that is the norm. Depending on how trashed it is aesthetically, will determine the value of the jeep. I just went through the process of looking for a used jeep in my area, and the cheapest I could find a JKU was $15k, but that was the only one at that price. Typically,they started around $20k.
post #6 of 18 Old 03-14-2016, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I wouldn't say it's extremely rough or anything like that. It's mostly just dirty as hell. Has dents on both sides of the cowl, from the door swinging into it. Has a dent around the rear taillight, which wouldn't matter much, because I'd put corner armor on it. It also has a damaged tailgate from backing the OEM tire carrier into a tree, so it would need a new gate. Other than that, it's just dirt in all the cracks and crevices.

post #7 of 18 Old 03-14-2016, 02:34 PM

I would say that its a good deal.

Put these on the cowl.

http://www.amazon.com/Warrior-Produc.../dp/B004JAZ7H8

Quote:
Quote:
post #8 of 18 Old 03-14-2016, 02:46 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I'd buy it if it runs good. Nothing a little pressure washing and complete tear down won't fix. Dents add character...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 18 Old 03-14-2016, 03:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
Dents add character...
What does that make your Jeep?

post #10 of 18 Old 03-14-2016, 03:26 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
What does that make your Jeep?
A blank canvas?

It just photographs well...it isn't perfect.

post #11 of 18 Old 03-14-2016, 03:48 PM
Rock God

I think $25K is pushing it. I sold my 2007 JKUR with a 5.7 hemi conversion back in late 2012, early 2013. I had it for sale for over a year, and finally took something like $32K for it. It was an AEV kit, used motor with about 30,000 miles on it and about that on the jeep as well.

AEV lift, 37s, great condition, super clean, no damage. It was really hard to sell. Not sure why, but it was.

The only up side for me as that I didn't have a lot in it. I bought the jeep used in 2009 for cheap as the economy was in the toilet. I bought the motor and trans from a boneyard and did the conversion myself. If I would have had more money tied up in it, I probably would have never sold it for the price I did.

Its weird how a hemi conversion can be a tough sell. Hope that helps.
post #12 of 18 Old 03-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
I think $25K is pushing it. I sold my 2007 JKUR with a 5.7 hemi conversion back in late 2012, early 2013. I had it for sale for over a year, and finally took something like $32K for it. It was an AEV kit, used motor with about 30,000 miles on it and about that on the jeep as well.

AEV lift, 37s, great condition, super clean, no damage. It was really hard to sell. Not sure why, but it was.

The only up side for me as that I didn't have a lot in it. I bought the jeep used in 2009 for cheap as the economy was in the toilet. I bought the motor and trans from a boneyard and did the conversion myself. If I would have had more money tied up in it, I probably would have never sold it for the price I did.

Problem with selling nice jeeps like this is only other jeepers or wheelers actually know the value of a hemi swap.
post #13 of 18 Old 03-15-2016, 03:54 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post

I suspect that you also run into the issue where many potential buyers don't have the cash in hand for the modified Hemi Wrangler or super rock crawler Wrangler, and a bank isn't going to loan them 175% of the book value. So you immediately knock away a huge chunk of interested buyers with a high value, but older vehicle. The bank still sees the vehicle from the perspective of auction value or black book value, so that is my guess why even a nicely put together vehicle can be hard to find a buyer for. Your looking for a buyer that can use liquid money to buy, and not everyone may have that ability.

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6, Mango Tango.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
post #14 of 18 Old 03-15-2016, 05:21 AM
Rock God

I agree, as long as it is sound mechanically, its a good deal.

post #15 of 18 Old 03-20-2016, 06:44 PM
Wheeler

My neighbor looked at a 2008 Rubicon with the LS swap last weekend in Birmingham. It was in great shape, to good of shape for him.
They were asking $25500 and it had been for sale since last May, it sold last week for $23000
post #16 of 18 Old 03-21-2016, 12:29 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry0071 View Post
I suspect that you also run into the issue where many potential buyers don't have the cash in hand for the modified Hemi Wrangler or super rock crawler Wrangler, and a bank isn't going to loan them 175% of the book value. So you immediately knock away a huge chunk of interested buyers with a high value, but older vehicle. The bank still sees the vehicle from the perspective of auction value or black book value, so that is my guess why even a nicely put together vehicle can be hard to find a buyer for. Your looking for a buyer that can use liquid money to buy, and not everyone may have that ability.

depends on your credit really

2010 JKU, RK 3.5 short arm, Fox reservoir shocks and 2.0 steering stabilizer, 37"deegan 38 tires, Trektop Pro, Arias flat fenders
post #17 of 18 Old 03-21-2016, 06:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jericbarg View Post
My neighbor looked at a 2008 Rubicon with the LS swap last weekend in Birmingham. It was in great shape, to good of shape for him.
They were asking $25500 and it had been for sale since last May, it sold last week for $23000
Obviously need to see the jeep to really assess it but damn that sounds cheap.

post #18 of 18 Old 03-22-2016, 08:03 AM
Granite Guru

Theres a lot more to this question.
was the radiator upgraded? fan,? are they using stock exhaust? how does it look under the hood? are there light on in the dash? does the AC work? cruise?
what year engine?
not all hemis or LS motors are equal.. not by a long shot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode