Rotopax Lock - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 03-12-2016, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Rotopax Lock

If you get the Rotopax mount, don't waste the extra money for the locking mount. I just got it to unlock after a week of spraying it with PB blaster. It unlocked finally against it's will, but I felt like I was going to break the key off inside it. It wasn't even installed for a month, and I just took it off two weeks ago. I like the can and mount, but the lock is cheap.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-15-2016, 09:05 AM
Wheeler

To the contrary, I've been running one of these locks for years on my rotopax and have not had this issue. I hit it with wd-40 every 6 months or so.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-15-2016, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Maybe I just got a bad one or they switched to a cheaper lock supplier. I also live within a mile of saltwater, so it would probably hold up better further inland. Still sucks that it rusted so quickly.

2013 Commando Green JK - Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Suzuki DR-Z400SM - 2001 Honda XR100R StockMoto Race Bike
Ohio Mini Roadracing League #201 - University of Akron Formula SAE - Zips Racing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-15-2016, 05:11 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponjeepinon View Post
I also live within a mile of saltwater, so it would probably hold up better further inland. Still sucks that it rusted so quickly.
Just a random thought that might be helpful:
If you get the lock free-running again or get a new one, maybe shoot it full of motorcycle chain lube?

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #5 of 9 Old 03-15-2016, 07:05 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Ah the agony of living near the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-16-2016, 12:53 PM
Wheeler

I actually recommend using "Fluid Film". You can get it at Lowes. That stuff will protect anything.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-16-2016, 01:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
If you get the lock free-running again or get a new one, maybe shoot it full of motorcycle chain lube?
Hey Ex, don't want to fling any poo your way (because I will probably miss and step it in anyway when I bring you a beer) but most motorcycle and bicycle chain lube is pretty heavy stuff, not to mention tacky. Maybe too heavy for a lock?

When I worked on the line, we used a lot of dry graphite lube in lock cylinders. It comes in those semi rigid tubes and puffs out with a little air. It is very good but you do need to refresh it from time to time. Once every 30k service, for example, is probably not frequent enough.

Last edited by White13JKUR; 03-16-2016 at 01:18 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-16-2016, 02:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Ah the agony of living near the beach.
Haha yeah, I got to deal with all them blood sucking sand fleas, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Yeah, I'll try cleaning it up and using some sort of lube to protect it when I get back to Beaufort. I got it off the day before I left for Yuma, so I didn't have a chance to look at it any. I was just glad I got it to unlock so the gas inside wouldn't go bad.

2013 Commando Green JK - Sold

2014 Suzuki DR-Z400SM - 2001 Honda XR100R StockMoto Race Bike
Ohio Mini Roadracing League #201 - University of Akron Formula SAE - Zips Racing
post #9 of 9 Old 03-16-2016, 03:01 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkhauler View Post
I actually recommend using "Fluid Film". You can get it at Lowes. That stuff will protect anything.
Good call - quoted so it's in OP's face 1 more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
. . . most motorcycle and bicycle chain lube is pretty heavy stuff, not to mention tacky. Maybe too heavy for a lock?

When I worked on the line, we used a lot of dry graphite lube in lock cylinders. It comes in those semi rigid tubes and puffs out with a little air. It is very good but you do need to refresh it from time to time. Once every 30k service, for example, is probably not frequent enough.
Only problem is: OP needs to completely seal out moisture (need a film of something), and graphite can actually add to galvanic corrosion headaches (if there's any stainless steel in the mix and saltwater is involved, you do not want graphite anywhere near it).

"Chain lube" is a pretty broad category. I use DuPont Chain Saver - after it flashes off, it leaves dry wax with Teflon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeponjeepinon View Post
Yeah, I'll try cleaning it up and using some sort of lube to protect it when I get back to Beaufort. I got it off the day before I left for Yuma, so I didn't have a chance to look at it any. I was just glad I got it to unlock so the gas inside wouldn't go bad.
I think Jkhauler is on point with the Fluid Film recommendation.
Unless you have a favorite preservative, Fluid Film is a great starting point.

You want something that will form a protective film to deny the salt air access to the guts of the lock without making a sticky dirt magnet.
(Or pack the fawker with grease and tape over the key hole ).

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode