New JK side mirror design - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 03-09-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

New JK side mirror design

What do you think of this 6" side mirror design? It's a fully spring loaded break-away design. It could have an optional wide angle high intensity LEDs mounted in it for side/frontal vision.

Thanks for any feed back.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 03-09-2016, 10:12 PM
Random Dude

IMHO, the break-away is idiotic compared to the factory mirrors that always FOLD AWAY when I smack 'em on something.

Personally, I prefer the larger field of view of the rectangular factory mirrors.

LEDs in the mirrors - meh, not where I'd put 'em - looks like a VatoZone or RuggedRidge trinket to me.

If you can market it, more power to you, but I have zero use for any of that.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 27 Old 03-10-2016, 05:09 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

If you're pimping your shit you need a yellow star...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 03-10-2016, 05:33 AM
Rock God

Garage

Yellow star only if actually selling shit, it is ok to check the water.
I think the mirror is a horrid idea, and leds on jk mirrors are just dollars waiting to be smashed.
Bling is bad, mkay?
post #5 of 27 Old 03-10-2016, 05:47 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Send me a set without led for testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 27 Old 03-10-2016, 06:55 AM
Granite Guru

There is a market for mall crawlers.

Would be too fragile for anyone that wheels their Jeep.
post #7 of 27 Old 03-10-2016, 06:59 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtljeep View Post
There is a market for mall crawlers.

Would be too fragile for anyone that wheels their Jeep.
Yip I personally wouldn't buy them but Ill bet they would sell a lot of them.

'11 JKUR, 3" Full-Traction w/5100's, 37x17 Trail Graps on Slabs, 10 Fact Axles, Adams front DS, TF44 front, PSC Hydro Assist. Home made sliders, bumpers, tire carrier. Warn XD9000i w/Smitty Synth line.
post #8 of 27 Old 03-10-2016, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

it is the base mount that is the culprit and design-element that is flawed ; my mirrors can break-away or flop shut as the OEMs do but the extruding base where the sheet metal has the bracket affixed is the damage point . These offer no more or less protection than the stock , albeit in a nice looking , round option. a tree or rock wall is gonna smash that mounting point cover where it mates to the body just as it will the stock mirrors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 27 Old 03-10-2016, 09:21 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnoxious1 View Post
Yip I personally wouldn't buy them but Ill bet they would sell a lot of them.
This ^

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #10 of 27 Old 03-10-2016, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

I have a gold star on Pirate 4x4 , does that count? :flippoff2:
Thanks for the input. I'm not trying to sell anything, rather getting a feeling before pulling the trigger on $15k molds.

Injection molded plastic mirrors evolved from mirrors I am currently making.
They originally were made for Ultra 4 cars but a lot were sold to TJ, JK and were mounted to the A pillar.
They have some wind noise and people back east were concerned about mud packing in them. So this is why the more street-friendly version.
After OEM, there's not a lot of choices for door mounted mirrors.

Here's another question: A pillar mounted mirrors are geared for people that take the doors off. Most of you are probably hard core but for the general population, I don't think they ever take the doors off.
Should I stay focused on the door mounted mirror or make it A pillar mounted? (the downside to mounting the mirror on the windshield frame is that for in order to have the door clear the mirror on the passenger side, visibility is reduced unless the door limit strap is shorten)

Here's the kind of mirrors I've made so far, 100 were made by hand and they all sold.
Attached Images

Last edited by JohnR; 03-10-2016 at 09:44 AM.
post #11 of 27 Old 03-10-2016, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

now, that yellow TJ mirror and mounting to a pillar- guard /light bar bracket is cool and I would /could use that. It's exactly what I am looking for, albeit a little more complex ....I just want two ultra4 car mirrors that can fold mounted to the pillar as those are ....still, looking closely it appears that is going to damage the A-pillar if it hits something at the base where it mounts but it appears to be very heavy duty as far as housing ....

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 03-10-2016 at 10:04 AM.
post #12 of 27 Old 03-10-2016, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

^ It's tig welded .080" 4130 chromo. The knuckle is stainless. The knuckle will mis-align 90 deg. in any direction and return to the original position. It's supposed to do that before the a-pillar gets bitched.

Last edited by JohnR; 03-10-2016 at 10:28 AM.
post #13 of 27 Old 03-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
They originally were made for Ultra 4 cars but a lot were sold to TJ, JK and were mounted to the A pillar.
They have some wind noise and people back east were concerned about mud packing in them. So this is why the more street-friendly version.
After OEM, there's not a lot of choices for door mounted mirrors.

Should I stay focused on the door mounted mirror or make it A pillar mounted? (the downside to mounting the mirror on the windshield frame is that for in order to have the door clear the mirror on the passenger side, visibility is reduced unless the door limit strap is shorten)

Here's the kind of mirrors I've made so far, 100 were made by hand and they all sold.
The kind you have made 100 of so far, I would take a set just like that if you had a mount for the factory location on a JK.

I leave my doors on when I wheel cause in the southeast there is mud everwhere. Plus I feel safer with them on when I wheel. They have taken some hits. The stock mirrors are gone due to those hits.
post #14 of 27 Old 03-12-2016, 05:24 PM
Granite Guru

A pillar break away mount. That would be cool.
post #15 of 27 Old 03-13-2016, 06:47 AM

For the doorless crowd or those with windows down, I would like to see an off road mirror that mounts to the A-pillar INSIDE the rig. Something that folds in and out in a simple way. Something with a convex mirror that is easily adjustable.

When you know something is coming, you can pull the mirror in, if something surprises you, it will fold in and nothing on the A pillar is going to catch.

A quote from my wife: "I don't even want to know how much it cost, I'm not in the mood to be that pissed off today."
post #16 of 27 Old 03-13-2016, 09:51 AM
Rock God

I want the a pillar version.
post #17 of 27 Old 03-13-2016, 10:35 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
. . . getting a feeling before pulling the trigger on $15k molds.

Just an idea, semi-independent of your injection-molded version:

Tooling would be cheap to make a thermoformed plastic shell for the fabbed steel version.
A simple, aerodynamic shape like a half-teardrop or an avocado peel is a breeze to vacuum mold.
Could address the wind noise and mud packing for about ten bucks a pair retail (five bucks to make, depending on volume).

If you need to visualize the concept, suggest making fresh guacamole:
Attached Images

-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

post #18 of 27 Old 03-13-2016, 04:08 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

I run soft doors all the time so I can take them off whenever weather permits. (We get multiple seasons in one day here in SC) I have the Rugged Ridge circle mirrors that mount to the pillar that I like, but I can't see crap out of them. I have to use tiny stick on blind spot mirrors to see other drivers behind me. I think if you adapted the design to work with multiple mounting points, (door, pillar, inside like someone mentioned) with mirrors that you can clearly see what's behind you, you might have something that would appeal to multiple different Jeepers and have multiple uses.
post #19 of 27 Old 04-04-2016, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Just an idea, semi-independent of your injection-molded version:

Tooling would be cheap to make a thermoformed plastic shell for the fabbed steel version.
A simple, aerodynamic shape like a half-teardrop or an avocado peel is a breeze to vacuum mold.
Could address the wind noise and mud packing for about ten bucks a pair retail (five bucks to make, depending on volume).

If you need to visualize the concept, suggest making fresh guacamole:
I made a batch of thermoformed mirrors made with a Delrin knuckle. It's a cheaper way to go but is limited on how the shell is formed.
Turns out even using 1/4" ABS the shell was not rigid enough and would flutter in the wind.

I have considered making the wind/mud shell to go over the metal "cross" bodies of the 2nd gen aluminum mirrors.

At this point, it doesn't look like I'm going to pull the trigger on the injection molded mirrors. The best option is to make a A pillar mount to adapt the 2nd gen aluminum mirrors to a JK/TJ.

Here's the spring loaded thermoformed mirrors that were done:
Attached Images

post #20 of 27 Old 04-05-2016, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

I will buy a pair of those with that bracket for mounting if you have them for sale. I like that.

post #21 of 27 Old 04-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Cod
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via MSN to Cod

Quote:
I have a gold star on Pirate 4x4 , does that count? :flippoff2:

No....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
We liked you better when we didn't know you. If you just fucked off we could go back to not giving a shit about you.
post #22 of 27 Old 04-05-2016, 01:32 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

You guys are such dicks sometimes...

It's different, just not sure about the round. Still looks outside the box and smaller on the trail when it comes to mirrors and Sasquatch branches is a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #23 of 27 Old 04-05-2016, 03:59 PM
Wheeler

I'd buy a set of the aluminum ones with the shell on 'em.
post #24 of 27 Old 04-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Wheeler

I dig em....I like the 'mechanical' look
post #25 of 27 Old 04-05-2016, 06:55 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
I made a batch of thermoformed mirrors made with a Delrin knuckle. It's a cheaper way to go but is limited on how the shell is formed.
Turns out even using 1/4" ABS the shell was not rigid enough and would flutter in the wind.

I have considered making the wind/mud shell to go over the metal "cross" bodies of the 2nd gen aluminum mirrors.
That route pleases my sensibilities, but I'll admit I have a "metal is structure, plastic is bodywork" bias.

I'd think you could get down to ~.063" shell thickness with a single stainless button-head + fender washer to retain it.
Just brainstorming, but I think that would work (with a drop of Loctite) threaded into the mirror stud.
Maybe mold a few strategic outside dimples / inside high spots to be contact pads so there's preload (no rattle room) when installed.

You can get away with undercuts on thermoformed plastic parts (up to a point, obviously).
A snap-fit cover would be neato . . . right until it unsnaps and some internet dipshit flames you on the forums.
Strategic snap-fit spots plus the single fastener could make it a flutter-free deal without going thick on material.

They're not something I need right now, but I really dig your fabbed mirrors. My vote = optional fairing for the win!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode