GOBI Stealth vs GARVIN Expedition - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-06-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

GOBI Stealth vs GARVIN Expedition

Okay thanks to Uncle Sugar sending me a nice income tax refund I am in the market for a roof rack. I have narrowed it down to the GOBI Stealth (I need the lower profile for parking garages and don't need lights on the rack) or the Garvin Expedition rack. I really like the looks of the GOBI but it is about $300more and then I have to spend an extra $150 to get freedom panel inserts for full coverage. The Garvin is less expensive but you are locked into having part of the rack overhead when the freedom panels are removed. Also the Gobi appears to have a higher static weight. Does anybody have any experience with either of these two racks and which would you choose ? FYI I have a stock bumper so compatibility is not an issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-10-2016, 08:40 PM

Had the Gobi Stealth on our '09 JKU for 5 years. Great rack. Very well made and very strong. Used it to haul a whole campsite's worth of gear, 150-200 lbs. for 4 years before we bought an Adventure Trailers Chaser. Our '09 was totaled, but the Gobi was fine and is now on an '08 JKU. You get what you pay for... Oh, the front panel over the t-tops was well worth the extra $$ for us.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-11-2016, 06:17 AM
Rock God

I have experience with the Gobi as well. Had it on my 2 door for a couple years. Great rack and sturdy. Accessories I had were: ladder (driver side), t-top insert and wind deflector. If you wait till there is a sale, you can usually get those 3 accessories with the base price of the rack.

I ended up selling the rack and have regretted it ever since. It made taking the hardtop off a pain in the ass. That is the only draw back I see of the rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-11-2016, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

thanks for the info I'm going with GOBI !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode