Is Fiat ditching the two door? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 02-28-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Is Fiat ditching the two door?

A couple of weeks back, FCA released an update on its business plan. In covering the plan, the Detroit Free Press noted that Jeep is moving the production of the Wrangler to a plant in Toledo that makes Cherokees currently.

I noticed that page 17 lists some notes on regulatory compliance with emissions standards, and lists only the 4-door Wrangler. The Cherokee is closer in size to the four-door, so it would make sense that the 4D Wrangler be made in the Toledo facility, but is it possible that FCA is getting ready to ditch the 2D altogether? The 4D outsells the 2D by a decent margin, so what if the rumors that the 2D will get some extra length to add the longer drive train are wrong and Jeep is just planning to drop the 2-door?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-28-2016, 07:42 PM
Granite Guru

I hope not. I don't plan on buying a 2 door but I would be disappointed if they dropped it.
I work at a Jeep dealer and we used to get all the early news about model changes, but now I have to search the internet. My boss saw the new wrangler at the last dealer show,"from a distance, on stage, no pictures allowed", and he said it still looked like a Jeep. FCA's president Sergio keeps the info tight until the last moment.
If you follow allpar's news you have seen the mule with the extended cowl. If they have to increase the wheelbase then it might make sense to drop the 2 door and then it would give them the capacity for upcoming Wrangler truck.
If the 2door went away then we would all have to buy a used one. The argument for the last real jeep would changefrom a TJ to a JK.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-28-2016, 10:15 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfHerder View Post
A couple of weeks back, FCA released an update on its business plan. In covering the plan, the Detroit Free Press noted that Jeep is moving the production of the Wrangler to a plant in Toledo that makes Cherokees currently.

I noticed that page 17 lists some notes on regulatory compliance with emissions standards, and lists only the 4-door Wrangler. The Cherokee is closer in size to the four-door, so it would make sense that the 4D Wrangler be made in the Toledo facility, but is it possible that FCA is getting ready to ditch the 2D altogether? The 4D outsells the 2D by a decent margin, so what if the rumors that the 2D will get some extra length to add the longer drive train are wrong and Jeep is just planning to drop the 2-door?
The Toledo plant already makes Wranglers (as well as The Cherokee). They are moving the Cherokee production in order to expand Wrangler production capacity, but they are making Wranglers there now, have been for a long time.

Last edited by BigTB; 02-28-2016 at 10:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 02-29-2016, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTB View Post
The Toledo plant already makes Wranglers (as well as The Cherokee). They are moving the Cherokee production in order to expand Wrangler production capacity, but they are making Wranglers there now, have been for a long time.
Understood, if you look at that Business Plan update, though, the Renegade is already selling more units than the Wrangler, and the 2-door only accounts for ~30% of Wranglers. It's not because of the two door that they are having trouble meeting demand. If you gain more sales by ditching it, I don't think they would hesitate for a minute to toss us diehards under a bus.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-29-2016, 01:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

I think they will drop the 2dr model when they finally go IFS... just my 2 cents.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-29-2016, 02:22 PM
Granite Guru

personally i think the best wrangler would be something in between a 2 and 4 door in length, with room for three in the back. kinda like the old LJ (although i don't know how many seats there were in the back of an LJ)
post #7 of 14 Old 02-29-2016, 03:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post
personally i think the best wrangler would be something in between a 2 and 4 door in length, with room for three in the back. kinda like the old LJ (although i don't know how many seats there were in the back of an LJ)
The LJ used the TJ rear seat, only seating 2. But with the longer wheelbase they slid the seat back giving rear passengers more leg room. It also had some more storage room too.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-29-2016, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I guess the question is what you'd buy if the two-door wasn't available. I used to own a CJ-7 and a TJ, so I was looking at the JK. I bought the JKU as a compromise with my wife. We stopped at a dealer and watched the kids (7 and 5 at the time) try to climb into the back seat. It became apparent pretty quick that the two-door (especially after a lift) was going to be a tough climb.

At first I thought the JKU would be terrible, but it's really pretty nice. The difference offroad isn't bad and the extra cargo are makes camping trips a lot nicer.

I think most two-door drivers would probably end up giving the four-door a try simply because there is nothing else like the Wrangler that you could buy.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-29-2016, 08:08 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerfHerder View Post
I guess the question is what you'd buy if the two-door wasn't available. I used to own a CJ-7 and a TJ, so I was looking at the JK. I bought the JKU as a compromise with my wife. We stopped at a dealer and watched the kids (7 and 5 at the time) try to climb into the back seat. It became apparent pretty quick that the two-door (especially after a lift) was going to be a tough climb.

At first I thought the JKU would be terrible, but it's really pretty nice. The difference offroad isn't bad and the extra cargo are makes camping trips a lot nicer.

I think most two-door drivers would probably end up giving the four-door a try simply because there is nothing else like the Wrangler that you could buy.
Most of the other guys and I who have the JKs don't even have the back seat in the Jeep anymore. Mine is an extra seat in the house now LOL.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-01-2016, 06:51 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick View Post
The LJ used the TJ rear seat, only seating 2. But with the longer wheelbase they slid the seat back giving rear passengers more leg room. It also had some more storage room too.
NO.

The rear seat is in exactly the same spot as a TJ, all the extra room is behind the rear seat.
I've heard some LJ owners move the seat back for extra leg room, but it's an aftermarket modification.

I was just in the back of an LJ 2 weeks ago, I thought there would be extra room as well, I was wrong.

Jeepless
post #11 of 14 Old 03-01-2016, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpstick View Post
Most of the other guys and I who have the JKs don't even have the back seat in the Jeep anymore. Mine is an extra seat in the house now LOL.
That's not really an option with two yard apes in tow. I need the rear seats for the spawn.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-01-2016, 01:42 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuLcRuM View Post
NO.

The rear seat is in exactly the same spot as a TJ, all the extra room is behind the rear seat.
I've heard some LJ owners move the seat back for extra leg room, but it's an aftermarket modification.

I was just in the back of an LJ 2 weeks ago, I thought there would be extra room as well, I was wrong.
this is not correct. The LJ does have more leg room for the rear seat by 2".

Back to the topic at hand:
The 2 door is an icon. I can't fathom it being unavailable.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-02-2016, 08:17 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have no plans to give up my 2 door. Can't see myself buying a 4D either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #14 of 14 Old 03-04-2016, 04:44 AM
Granite Guru

I think that Fiat/Jeep would be moronic fucking idiots if they killed the icon, the legend, the mighty 2 door Jeep Wrangler. I see the point of a 4 door. It's a compromise for those that need more room. But for us who have a daily driver, and have a toy Wrangler... the 2 door is where we like to play. Screw Fiat! They better stand with our Jeep heritage!

2014 JK Willys, 37x13.5-18 STT Pro, 3.5" RK with 1.25 body lift, 28" Fox 2.0 IFP, Ruff Stuff Tie Rod, Synergy Trackbar/Bracket/Sector Bracket, WTO Ram Assist, EVO RockStar Rear Brackets, ProRock 44U, RCV/Ten Factory shafts/E-Locker, Synergy Balls, Factory Rear LSD, 12K LB X2O Gen 2 Comp, SB SRC Front/Body Armor Rear bumpers, RR and RE armor, Adams Shafts, 4.88 Yukon Gears. My toy.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6, Mango Tango.

2016 Cherokee Trailhawk V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode