"Summer top" question - any opinions out there? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 02-26-2016, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

"Summer top" question - any opinions out there?

First, I live in Missouri, where we sometimes have all four seasons in the same day. I have 2014 JKU with a hard top. I also have two SpiderWebShade jkini tops installed, one the standard direction, and one installed in reverse over the rear seats. I'm looking for an option for a top to use in the summer that could keep rain out at a moments notice, but then be easy to remove when it heats up later in the day...assuming my hard top is already off. Does anyone have experience with the Quadratop bimini top, windstopper and tonno cover? Especially installed over a SpiderWebShade? Any other suggestions on a water tight top for a reasonable price that would work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-26-2016, 06:52 AM
Granite Guru

Living in Oklahoma, I'm in the same boat. Snow, tornadoes, and 100°+ days all in one week would not be surprising.

After looking at all the options (I stuck with "frameless" tops, because I like the look), I ended up dropping the cash on an Off Road Heroes Fastback. It's made up of 5 independent "panels":

1 from the windshield to the sound bar
1 from the sound bar to the rear of the OEM "roll bar"
2 rear side windows
1 rear window

You can remove any of the "panels" individually or remove them all to achieve whatever coverage you want.

He also makes a Cargo Top, which gets you essentially a tonneau and windjammer, but it's actually weatherproof (unlike the Windjammer, AFAIK). If you want the best of both worlds, order the Multi-Top which, just as it sounds, includes both top setups.

I ordered my Fastback in mid-January and was advised 6-8 weeks for delivery (I understand they're made-to-order more or less by hand). As soon as it comes in and the Oklahoma weather appears to start cooperating, I'll get it installed and intend to post a review.

Chase

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport S, 6-Speed, TF Leveling Kit, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, 285/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts on OEM Sport wheels.
post #3 of 8 Old 02-26-2016, 08:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

I used to live in Northwest Arkansas as well as Northeast Oklahoma, so I get what you guys are talking about with the weather. Took me a long time to get used to the idea that in California when "it looks like rain," it's probably not going to rain at all.

I think COBrien's approach is pretty good. If you don't want to lose the cargo space that goes away with the fastback style, I find my factory soft top pretty well meets the criteria you listed. "At a moment's notice" might be a little ambitious, but you can certainly run with the top down and the windows in a roll about the size of a 10' dome tent. If you're in practice, you can put it all up in 2-3 minutes, especially if you also have help who knows what they're doing. You can also sometimes pick up a factory soft top pretty cheap on craigslist, or on the forums.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 02-26-2016, 08:35 AM
Granite Guru

oh man, there stuff is on sale. very tempting.

i wonder if their stuff works with half doors and soft windows.

2013 JKUR Billet Silver ->
[JKUR - 6 Speed][3.5" MC ARB Lift][40" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" TR Beadlocks][5.38s][Fusion 4x4 Kingpin 1 Tons][MC Front & Rear Bumpers][sPOD][Warn Zeon 10s][And more ...]

|

Last edited by dalearyous; 02-26-2016 at 08:40 AM.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-26-2016, 09:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

Seems like it would, since the half-door/soft window combo fits the same opening as the full doors.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #6 of 8 Old 02-26-2016, 09:40 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalearyous View Post
oh man, there stuff is on sale. very tempting.

i wonder if their stuff works with half doors and soft windows.
DAMMIT! I ordered mine on January 14. So much for that $200...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Seems like it would, since the half-door/soft window combo fits the same opening as the full doors.
I sure hope it works with half doors and soft uppers...

My ultimate plan is Savvy Aluminum Half Doors all around with Rugged Ridge soft uppers. I'd love to have the Mopar halves and uppers, but I can't justify paying more than twice as much just to have matching inner door panels.

Chase

2013 Billet Silver JKU Sport S, 6-Speed, TF Leveling Kit, Spidertrax 1.5" Spacers, 285/70R17 Firestone Destination M/Ts on OEM Sport wheels.
post #7 of 8 Old 02-26-2016, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Those ORH tops are awesome. I've seen a few around, but wasn't sure what they were. I'm afraid that might be out of my budget, but i know you get what you pay for.

"A moments notice" may be an exaggeration. But i take my hard top of with a homemade lift. After that, having a top that can either fit in the cargo area, or work like the ORH top is perfect. I'm not opposed to pulling into a gas station, car wash, etc to throw a top on in the event of a rain storm popping up.

Maybe if i empty my daughter's college fund, i could get the ORH top. She's only 3. There's plenty of time to make it up...
post #8 of 8 Old 02-27-2016, 03:18 AM
Rock God

Garage

I live in eastern Canada. My summer setup last year was a factory soft top, tonneau cover and wind jammer for most of the nice days. If it was looking like rain, I'd pop the windows back in (sometimes leaving the jammer). I have a Rugged Ridge safari top that covers to the back seat belts... but damn did that thing ever flap in the wind bad. I only tried it once and then threw it in the basement... I think this year I'm going to try and make it work. I'll also be running that setup plus a pair of Bestop Element doors.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode