2011 Jeep Mojave Vibration - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 02-25-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

2011 Jeep Mojave Vibration

Hey Guys, This is not really an offroading post but i am looking for some help. I just bought a used Jeep 2011 Jeep mojave and i'm pumped about it. I've always wanted to get a jeep. Whenever i get my jeep up to 65 MPH i begin to feel a subtle vibration. The vibration does not effect the steering wheel at all. At first i thought it might be a wheel balance issue but after i had the wheels balanced, i still feel the vibration.

Does anyone have any experience with this or any advise.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 02-25-2016, 06:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

Could be lots of things -- worn tires, defective tires, tires with uneven wear pattern due to poor alignment, bent wheel(s), worn slip joint(s) on either driveshaft (or both), bent rear axle flange, etc., etc. You said you "feel a subtle vibration," but it's not in the steering wheel -- where do you feel it (seat, feet, etc.)? Is there any associated noise? Is the frequency of the vibration consistent or does it rise and fall with speed changes? Also, what are you used to driving? What kind of tires does your Jeep have on it right now? Have you ever driven any other vehicle with those tires, or similar tires. Can you tell if the Jeep you bought has been wheeled hard (scars on skid plates, control arms, rocker panels, scratched wheels, etc.)? There are probably a million other questions to ask, but these will make a good start.

If you're a new Jeep owner, and from what you said it sounds like you probably are, one thing you need to know is that your JK is probably never going to really be smooth. It may be "smooth for a Jeep," but that's about as good as it's going to get. Aggressive tires all by themselves, can create vibrations that you'll never feel in a vehicle without those tires. Vibrations, to a degree, are just the nature of this beast.

It's hard to know from the information you've given if you have a problem brewing, or just don't know what to expect from your Jeep because of inexperience. More info will help us give you some direction, but in the mean time, crawl under your Jeep and see if you can move the driveshafts up and down. I'm not talking about rotational motion, but as if you're trying to bend the driveshaft into the shape of a bow. If you have that kind of play, you MAY have found your issue. Also look at your tires and see if they're worn in a pattern that's not smooth and flat across the tread blocks. Check them for bulges on the sidewalls (which I would hope your tire shop would have found when they balanced them). Have someone drive behind you and see if any of the wheels appear to be out of true. These things can be a long, drawn out process of elimination, and you still may not resolve it until it becomes bad enough to easily identify. And again, that's assuming you really do have a problem to start with instead of just being unfamiliar with the nature of the machine.

Hope this helps get you started. You should also go make an introduction of yourself in the Welcome thread. And you'll find that if you give evidence in your posts that you have searched out a problem by reading some of the other posts on the forum, the community here will be much more helpful than otherwise. Welcome to JKO and to the world of Jeeps. You'll probably be hooked like the rest of us, so just get ready to start spending money on it.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-01-2016, 01:28 PM Thread Starter

I really appreciate the feedback. I am familiar with jeeps to an extent. Both my brother and father have jeeps and I always tried to drive them as much as possible so when I finally got the chance to buy one of my own I jumped on it! I did take the aggressive tire tread into account because I know that will cause n unsmooth ride. My brother has some wrangler good years on his jeep that are 34's with really aggressive tired. so I am used to feeling that kind of vibration. I currently have 32" BF Goodrich Mud Terrain Tires. Witch I do feel those on the road. The vibration I'm feeling comes on randomly. not so much with acceleration but it will come and go at constant speeds above 60.. I am going to take a look under my jeep for scars and I will check out the drive shaft for vertical play.

I will be looking into other posts for vibration issues. I will also go introduce myself on the welcome page. I really appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode