Upper and Lower Control Arm Lengths - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kjeeper10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 02-21-2016, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Upper and Lower Control Arm Lengths

Does anyone know the proper lengths for the rear upper and lower control arms for a 4 door JK with 3.5" of lift? I can't find the info anywhere and I'm trying to save time instead of the doing the trial and error process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-21-2016, 11:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Theres no set numbers. Id say 20" lowers , 18" uppers unless you want to move the axle back more then 1/4
Lowers set wheelbase, uppers pinion and thats going to be different jeep to jeep and 2/4 door.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #3 of 18 Old 02-21-2016, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

It's there any negative implications for moving the rear axle back further? I was thinking the axle needs to go back about an inch to be even close to center.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 02-21-2016, 01:07 PM
JKO Addict!

No .. But most manufactures will to clear a 37" plus.
In all reality wheelbase change is minimal. I find .5 back to be a nice compromise. Anymore the coils can bow. On a 2 door pinion correction runs the swaybar links up against the UCA mounts.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #5 of 18 Old 02-21-2016, 08:05 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

What lift do you have...and what is the manufacturer's recommended length ??

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #6 of 18 Old 02-22-2016, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I'm running a 3.5" RE lift with a 1.25" BL and am going to 40" tires. right now I'm on 37" tires and clear but the 40's will be close. I've already trimmed the rear pinch seam down. oh, this is a 4 door also. with this lift and trimmed fenders I have more than enough lift height for the 40's but my rear axle is far from centered in the fender well. when I ordered the adjustable rear control arms to center my rear axle, I also ordered the spring wedges to help with any spring bow.

2011 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
- 3.5" Rubicon Express lift /w 1.25" BL
- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #7 of 18 Old 02-22-2016, 08:48 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamoCop View Post
I'm running a 3.5" RE lift with a 1.25" BL and am going to 40" tires. right now I'm on 37" tires and clear but the 40's will be close. I've already trimmed the rear pinch seam down. oh, this is a 4 door also. with this lift and trimmed fenders I have more than enough lift height for the 40's but my rear axle is far from centered in the fender well. when I ordered the adjustable rear control arms to center my rear axle, I also ordered the spring wedges to help with any spring bow.

I would go for .5 to .75

post #8 of 18 Old 02-22-2016, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

so to move my rear axle back say .75", do I just adjust my rear lower control arm .75" longer than the factory arm or is that not how it works?

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #9 of 18 Old 02-22-2016, 08:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

sorry for all the questions. I've never messed with adjustable control arms before.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #10 of 18 Old 02-22-2016, 09:05 AM
JKO Addict!

I found the easiest way to do it.
-Match lowers 20.5 (+ .75)
- remove lowers and install new arms (leave the bolts loose)

- jack up axle and place on stands
- use jack under pinion to take load off and remove uppers
- set driveshaft angle -2 using jack
- remove tires
- take one upper, bolt up frame side and adjust joint out to the axle mount (bolts should slide in/out with ease)
- do the same with the 2nd upper
- lower jack and recheck pinion angle
- tighten everything up
- mount tires
- drop to ground

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

post #11 of 18 Old 02-22-2016, 09:09 AM
JKO Addict!

Same setup in the front except both uppers and lowers can be installed with the jeep on the ground. Pinion should be +1 or +2 degrees.

post #12 of 18 Old 02-22-2016, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
I found the easiest way to do it.
-Match lowers 20.5 (+ .75)
- remove lowers and install new arms (leave the bolts loose)

- jack up axle and place on stands
- use jack under pinion to take load off and remove uppers
- set driveshaft angle -2 using jack
- remove tires
- take one upper, bolt up frame side and adjust joint out to the axle mount (bolts should slide in/out with ease)
- do the same with the 2nd upper
- lower jack and recheck pinion angle
- tighten everything up
- mount tires
- drop to ground

so you're saying adjust the lowers to 20.5" or 21.25" (adding the .75")?

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #13 of 18 Old 02-22-2016, 02:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Stock = 19.75
20.5 = + .75

post #14 of 18 Old 02-23-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

ok got my axle centered. I went with 21" on the lowers and 18 9/16" on the uppers which is what RK recommended for a 3.5" lift. I found the paperwork with this information in the packing paper. ran out of time so I will put the spring wedges in tomorrow. one thing I noticed now is my rear sway bar links are riding against my axle housing. the top of the sway bar link is actually leaning slightly over the axle housing towards the front of the Jeep. what is everyone doing to solve this issue? will removing the rear sway bar all together make the on road handling significantly worse?

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #15 of 18 Old 02-23-2016, 05:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Upper and Lower Control Arm Lengths

Move it back 1"

What does your pinion look like?

post #16 of 18 Old 02-23-2016, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

pinion angle looks great. right now the axle is almost perfectly centered which is what I wanted. I will just remove my rear sway bar before I move my rear axle back to where it was before I started.

- 5.38 Yukon gears
- 40" Pro Comp MT2's
- Lot's of extra's
post #17 of 18 Old 02-24-2016, 07:33 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
pinion angle looks great. right now the axle is almost perfectly centered which is what I wanted. I will just remove my rear sway bar before I move my rear axle back to where it was before I started.
I moved my swaybay back until it was almost touching the muffler. I just marked one side, drilled new holes, tapped them, measured for the other side, rinse, repeat. Metalcloak sells adapters to move it back if you don't want to drill and tap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #18 of 18 Old 02-24-2016, 07:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
Quote:
I moved my swaybay back until it was almost touching the muffler. I just marked one side, drilled new holes, tapped them, measured for the other side, rinse, repeat. Metalcloak sells adapters to move it back if you don't want to drill and tap.
Yep ^^^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in