Wrong Weight Oil - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 08-29-2008, 07:43 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Wrong Weight Oil

Took Jeep in to have oil changed at a Quick lube 2 days ago and I just noticed this morning that the windshield tag says they put 10/30 Mobile 1 in it and it should have gotten 5/30...Will this do any harm to the motor?...If I have to take it back I will but if it will be okay I will get them to credit me a free oil change for the next time...Thanks.

2007 JK Unlimited "X"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

TF 3" Kit w/4 Arm Flex Kit, TF HD F & R Adj. Track Bars, TF HD Steering Stabilizer, Yukon 5.13 gears, CenterForce II Clutch, Black Rock Soft 8's 16x8, Cooper Discoverer STT 315/75/16, RR XHD Front w/Stinger, SB XRC Rear w/Carrier, KC 130W Slim Lights w/Windshield Mounts, Xenon Flat Fenders, SB XRC8 Winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 08-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Openly Hostile

It wont hurt it.

Jason
post #3 of 30 Old 08-29-2008, 08:34 AM
Rock God

i thought it was 5w-20 we use? maybe not though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 08-29-2008, 08:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
i thought it was 5w-20 we use? maybe not though
Yes, but some have substituted Mobile1 5W30 (I don't think they offer it in 5W20 or it's harder to find).

Even though it will probably be ok, I'd have them change it just for the peace of mind. If there ever is a warrantyable engine problem Chrysler could try to blame it on incorrect oil used.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #5 of 30 Old 08-29-2008, 09:09 AM
Rock God

Garage
Exclamation Oil Filter

I'm not sure how much difference the slight change on oil makes, but the filter sure can! After putting on an aftermarket filter the Engine knocked for a few seconds at each stat up. It does not do that with the factory filter. I'm guessing there is a check valve to keep the oil filter full of oil at shut down with the factory filter and not with some of the after market filters. I'm sticking with factory filters from now on.
post #6 of 30 Old 08-29-2008, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Well, if it won't hurt it then I am not going to worry about it this time...I called them and they are send me a gift coupon for a free oil change with the correct weight Mobile 1...I know the oil filter that they put on is a Mobile 1 brand that has a check valve in it...I used them on my 04 Quad Cab that I had and I had no problems what so ever...The rattle noise that you describe is coming from the oil pump maybe?...I would think that any brand oil filter should work and not cause that noise but I am not sure...Thanks for the input!!!

2007 JK Unlimited "X"

TF 3" Kit w/4 Arm Flex Kit, TF HD F & R Adj. Track Bars, TF HD Steering Stabilizer, Yukon 5.13 gears, CenterForce II Clutch, Black Rock Soft 8's 16x8, Cooper Discoverer STT 315/75/16, RR XHD Front w/Stinger, SB XRC Rear w/Carrier, KC 130W Slim Lights w/Windshield Mounts, Xenon Flat Fenders, SB XRC8 Winch
post #7 of 30 Old 08-29-2008, 09:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank29 View Post
Well, if it won't hurt it then I am not going to worry about it this time...I called them and they are send me a gift coupon for a free oil change with the correct weight Mobile 1...I know the oil filter that they put on is a Mobile 1 brand that has a check valve in it...I used them on my 04 Quad Cab that I had and I had no problems what so ever...The rattle noise that you describe is coming from the oil pump maybe?...I would think that any brand oil filter should work and not cause that noise but I am not sure...Thanks for the input!!!

Sorry to break the news to you but for some reason on the JK, many people (me included) have experienced this with the Mobile1 filter. There have been discussions on various forums about the filter issues. Since the filter is positioned horizontally it seems the anti-drainback valve leaks and the filter becomes empty over night. Then you get lifter clack for a few seconds before it fills back up. So be sure to keep an eye out for it.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #8 of 30 Old 08-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Wheeler

I have used 20-50 in RubyDoo without any problems

Keep it on all 4 when necessary

2007 jeep wrangler Rubicon named RubyDoo
Warn front and rear bumpers, Warn 8274 winch 1988, Skid row skid plate, TF 2.5 BB with shock extenders and Unlimited Rubicon springs, ProComp XTerrains 35x12.50x17, Cragar 345 17" steel wheels, Turbo muffler and custom tail pipe, AEM 3" x9" cone air filter, Alloy usa front axle shafts, ARB and Master Air Compressors with 2.5 gal tank, 30x36 storage box full of stuff.
post #9 of 30 Old 08-29-2008, 12:41 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
Yes, but some have substituted Mobile1 5W30 (I don't think they offer it in 5W20 or it's harder to find)
You can find Mobil 1 5w20 at Walmart.

Running 10w30 won't do any harm, may drop your mpg very slightly if anything.
post #10 of 30 Old 08-29-2008, 12:43 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKKat View Post
I have used 20-50 in RubyDoo without any problems
20w50 will definitely increase your oil pressure, and may not drain back into the oil pan fast enough at high rpm. It will offer more protection in the heat of Summer, but I wouldn't run anything that thick in the Winter in an engine designed for a very light oil.
post #11 of 30 Old 08-29-2008, 02:11 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

as tight as the tolerances are on new higher tech motors, I'd be a little concerned about 20-50 making into all the places it should - especially right after start up when its colder n thicker and had a chance to drain down

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #12 of 30 Old 08-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
You can find Mobil 1 5w20 at Walmart.
That's where I get mine.

I ran 5w30 for one oil change and it was fine. I'd leave it if I were you and change it in 3000 miles.
post #13 of 30 Old 08-29-2008, 03:28 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
as tight as the tolerances are on new higher tech motors, I'd be a little concerned about 20-50 making into all the places it should - especially right after start up when its colder n thicker and had a chance to drain down
X2 It would not be my choice of oil for a motor designed for 5w20.
post #14 of 30 Old 08-29-2008, 08:35 PM
Wheeler

The only thing that a slightly heavier Mobil 1 oil will do is reduce your gas mileage a little bit.

I run only mobil 1 in all of my cars. It does not break down like dino oil does.

In my Honda I normally get 40 to 45 mpg with 5/20. If I go to 10/30 it will fall to 35 to 38.

Because we don't get stellar mileage with the jeeps you will probably not notice a difference. But it will not hurt a thing.
post #15 of 30 Old 08-30-2008, 02:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec W View Post
That's where I get mine.

I ran 5w30 for one oil change and it was fine. I'd leave it if I were you and change it in 3000 miles.
Why are we still changing our oil at 3K. The new oils can go a lot longer, even with offroad use. I run mobil 1 in my Bronco (dedicated trail rig) for a year before I change it. The manual say's 6K. Maybe I'll change it early if the temp spiked or I may have a water contamination due to condensation or high water. We're the only country that still uses the 3K rule for oil changes.

Obama, The greatest gun salesman since the invention of firearms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jscwerve View Post
This is exactly why we need to practice proper gun control.

If he was aiming down the sights correctly and had plenty of practice rounds under his belt, there would only be one side of this story.
post #16 of 30 Old 08-30-2008, 07:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
Why are we still changing our oil at 3K. The new oils can go a lot longer, even with offroad use. I run mobil 1 in my Bronco (dedicated trail rig) for a year before I change it. The manual say's 6K. Maybe I'll change it early if the temp spiked or I may have a water contamination due to condensation or high water. We're the only country that still uses the 3K rule for oil changes.
I change mine at 5K and rotate tires the same. I'm also running Royal Purple Synthetic.
post #17 of 30 Old 08-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Wheeler

I was useing it in the summer time hot wheelin times, now back to thinner stuff.

Keep it on all 4 when necessary

2007 jeep wrangler Rubicon named RubyDoo
Warn front and rear bumpers, Warn 8274 winch 1988, Skid row skid plate, TF 2.5 BB with shock extenders and Unlimited Rubicon springs, ProComp XTerrains 35x12.50x17, Cragar 345 17" steel wheels, Turbo muffler and custom tail pipe, AEM 3" x9" cone air filter, Alloy usa front axle shafts, ARB and Master Air Compressors with 2.5 gal tank, 30x36 storage box full of stuff.
post #18 of 30 Old 11-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Wheeler

YEP, I had the same problem with the engine knocking for a few seconds at cold startup. I had put a Mobil 1 filter on at 800 miles to help clean out the junk, but soon after I noted this engine noise. Yesterday, at 2500 miles, I put an OEM filter on...No knocking noise this morning! There must be something in the OEM filter that holds oil or something, it definately did not make the noise this morning. I'm sticking with the OEM filter, might not be as good as mobil 1, but I don't like that engine knocking in the mornings!
post #19 of 30 Old 04-04-2009, 06:27 AM

PhilD you are correct I get my Mobil 1 at Wal Mart and they do have 5w20. I just bought my 09 Saraha 2 dr. and I have about 1100 miles on it so far. I know the manuel says change oil at every 6ooo miles but I'm thinkin every 5000 miles. What are yalls thoughts? oh yeah I get a Mopar filter at Wal Mart also.
post #20 of 30 Old 04-04-2009, 07:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncojohn View Post
I run RP (like rotorhead) for 5k miles because of the warranty.

If for some reason my lifetime warranty is voided, then I'll move to 8-9k intervals, but I think that's pushing it for a rig that sees about an hour of stop and go traffic every day.

!c
post #21 of 30 Old 04-04-2009, 10:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeproper View Post
PhilD you are correct I get my Mobil 1 at Wal Mart and they do have 5w20. I just bought my 09 Saraha 2 dr. and I have about 1100 miles on it so far. I know the manuel says change oil at every 6ooo miles but I'm thinkin every 5000 miles. What are yalls thoughts? oh yeah I get a Mopar filter at Wal Mart also.
I change at 5k for the same reason. 3k is a waste and if I'm a few days late it still hasn't reached 6k. I haven't had any problems except the earlier mentioned filter issues after 1 3/4 years. Now I only use Mopar or Bosch filters on it.

Quote:
post #22 of 30 Old 04-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Granite Guru

Buy 6 quarts of mobile one and get a free moblil 1 filter right now. I just did this last week.

2008 Rescue Green Unlimited Sahara
TF LA 3"
37" GY MT/R's
Manual/4.88's
post #23 of 30 Old 04-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Granite Guru

First oil change (1,500miles) I used 5/20 Castrol GTX & fram filter, then, at second oil change (4,500) I put 5/20 Castrol Syntec & fram filter. A tad knock at start up, that immediately goes away. May have to switch back to Mopar filter & see what the outcome is.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #24 of 30 Old 04-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Granite Guru

I too, change my oil every 5K. It just keeps the math so easy

mark

2010 Rubicon Silver
Rugged Ridge XHD front Bumper
Shorty Antenna
post #25 of 30 Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Rock God

Garage
Exclamation Engine knocked for a few seconds at each stat up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
I'm not sure how much difference the slight change on oil makes, but the filter sure can! After putting on an aftermarket filter the Engine knocked for a few seconds at each stat up. It does not do that with the factory filter. I'm guessing there is a check valve to keep the oil filter full of oil at shut down with the factory filter and not with some of the after market filters. I'm sticking with factory filters from now on.
Yes I had the same experence and that was with a Mobil 1 Filter. Now I just keep a stock of factory filters on hand. Both oil and air.

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode