Warn M8000 or Smitty XRC12k with Syn. line? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 02-07-2016, 09:04 AM Thread Starter

Warn M8000 or Smitty XRC12k with Syn. line?

I know there are a million winch discussion threads on these forums, but I'm looking at these two particular winches. I'm leaning heavily towards getting a new steel front bumper and want to get a winch to go with it. The only winch I've ever owned was a Ramsey 8k lbs. winch that was on my FJ40 in high school (which was over 20 years ago). I know Warn has a much better reputation but is does the higher capacity and synthetic line of the Smittybilt sway anyone? For reference, I have a 2015 JKU Rubicon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-07-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

I just realized this was my first post on this forum...I should have introduced myself. I'm from Northern Va. and have lived here my whole life. I'm in my 40's and have always owned some type of 4wd. My first vehicle was a 1978 Toyota FJ40 that I took trail riding regularly. I've had a couple of Suburbans, pickups, GMC Jimmy, Landcruiser FJ62, and now a 2003 Excursion diesel and 2015 Jeep JKU Rubicon.

At first I thought my Jeep was a bit small, but every time I take it for a ride it grows on me. My wife absolutely loves it, and now that I've had it for 6 months I'm really liking it. I'm a sucker for anything that burns fuel and enjoy jet skiing and motorcycles.

I've enjoyed reading lots of threads on this forum, so a big thanks to everyone that takes time to share their knowledge and experiences.
post #3 of 23 Old 02-07-2016, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Welcome to the forum!
I cannot advise on those (I've run warn and currently have a black Friday steal/deal 10k from ruggedridge that I strung a 92' masterpull 1/2" synthetic line on & it dead pulled a heVy XJ outta a 7' deep mudpit + has pulley yanked a 120' oak tree off of a trail ...
Warn is higher quality but it will really come down to how you use it , the frequency you use it and the weight of your rig....
Wish that was more specifically helpful but I'm sure someone will chime in on the model s you are comparing .....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 02-07-2016, 09:36 PM
Rock God

Welcome to the forum! I'm in NOVA too. Out in Hoodbridge.

I bought my first winch last year. I bought a Warn VR8000 because Warn has a lifetime warranty, it has a fast "no load" line speed, it pulls a max of 460 amps, so I don't have to upgrade my battery or alternator, and with a pulley, the weakest layer pull is still over 12,000 lbs and over 6,000 lbs without.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-08-2016, 06:26 PM
Rock God

If you build your JKU heavy, an 8000 lbs winch won't be enough.

If you've ever used a regular, non-chinese made Warn, they are substantially faster than the chinese made stuff. It's really nice to have both reliable and fast.

So, I'd say, option C should be either a Superwinch Talon 9.5 or a Warn XD9000. They both have relatively fast line speeds.

Personally, I pretty much would only consider either Superwinch or Warn at this point due to the line speed. I'd get at least a 9,000 lbs winch for a JKU. A Warn M8000 is a great winch for a 2dr JK.

You can buy synthetic lines separately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 23 Old 02-09-2016, 05:50 AM
Granite Guru

I've got a 12K Ramsey that I got for dirt-cheap several years ago at a 4WP open-box sale. Yes it dang-slow, and loud, but it's never let me down. BUT, a couple of weeks ago I pulled cable for a guy who had just bought a Warn Powerplant -- oh my, it was fast and quite. If mine ever craps the bed, it'll be replaced with a Warn or Superwinch. And, as Planman said, I recommend getting at least a 9K winch for a 4 door. I've never heard someone say their winch was too big to get them out of a situation.

2009 Silver Unlimited Rubicon -- Not really stock, anymore.
post #7 of 23 Old 02-09-2016, 07:48 AM
Rock God

My XD9000i is still going strong. Pretty good for an 18 year old winch on its second Jeep. I put a smitty synth rope on it a couple years ago when the steel cable got FUBAR'd.

'11 JKUR, 3" Full-Traction w/5100's, 37x17 Trail Graps on Slabs, 10 Fact Axles, Adams front DS, TF44 front, PSC Hydro Assist. Home made sliders, bumpers, tire carrier. Warn XD9000i w/Smitty Synth line.
post #8 of 23 Old 02-10-2016, 05:51 PM
Wheeler

Id look at the Engo 10k with synthetic. Love mine, their customer service is second to none to me. I managed to break the lever that engages and disengages the winch and they sent me the a whole new gear side no questions asked
post #9 of 23 Old 02-11-2016, 01:19 AM
Granite Guru

Most of us here are on Warn, you can't beat the reliability.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-11-2016, 08:42 AM
Rock God

I run Warn on most of my rigs, but with that said, I have a Smitty on the JKU Rubi and am really surprised on how well it works. I think overall good quality and speed for the money specially with the Synthetic line. Contact Jeddi (he is a vendor here) and a great guy, as he normally can get great deals on Smitty stuff.

Gui

post #11 of 23 Old 02-12-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies!
post #12 of 23 Old 02-13-2016, 04:51 PM
Wheeler

Im ordering a winch for my jku in the next couple of weeks and am torn too... I want a warn, my bank account doesnt! I havent seen anything really negative about the newer generation smitty winches but I am divided in the xrc and x20 series...andone have inputs on them and why the x20 may be worth the extra 100 over the xrc. My budget is around $400.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-13-2016, 05:31 PM
Granite Guru

i have an ENGO and love it. recently pulled a 4 door full size chevy out of a ditch in the snow with it. what really steered me to the Engo was this article:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/12...inch-shootout/

the warn "won" the test, but it got a bunch of points for strange categories that really don't matter to me like "exterior labeling" and "quality of user manual." it also got a crap ton of points for "remote control" but the article didin't say why it was better. the primary concern should be whether or not the buttons on the remote make the cable go in and out... not how pretty it is.

what killed the warn for me was that it literally exploded (or imploded) when it hit its stalling point. i will concede that it pulled a lot before getting to the point of destruction, but the problem is you never know exactly how much you are pulling. i'd rather have a winch fail to pull, but still work, than a winch that gets destroyed. for less than 1/3 of the price, the engo seemed like a tremendous value to me.

Last edited by boopiejones; 02-13-2016 at 05:33 PM.
post #14 of 23 Old 02-14-2016, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearfact View Post
Im ordering a winch for my jku in the next couple of weeks and am torn too... I want a warn, my bank account doesnt! I havent seen anything really negative about the newer generation smitty winches but I am divided in the xrc and x20 series...andone have inputs on them and why the x20 may be worth the extra 100 over the xrc. My budget is around $400.
From what I can tell, the only significant difference is the X2O series comes with s wireless (as well as wired) remote. Additionally, it has a higher classification of water proofing. If it were me, I'd stick with the XRC series and save the difference.

That said, I'm leaning towards an Engo. I don't need a winch, but I want one. I can't justify a Warn but like the idea of a decent inexpensive winch. I'd thought about saving for the Warn, but I can't justify it. I normally only buy good tools, but this time I can't do it. If I was pushing my truck to the limit, it would be a no brainer - Warn all the way.
post #15 of 23 Old 02-14-2016, 06:19 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Another consideration is since the Warn is considered serviceable and the Smittybilt returnable, where in God's green earth is the Warn serviced? The website has about ten locations but they are a million miles away. That seems like an expensive shipping, long wait scenario I don't care for. I'd love a Warn, but it's not like it's a lawnmower or motorcycle you can get serviced within 90 miles. If they are going to charge $1500 they'd better have a better service infrastructure in place.

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..
post #16 of 23 Old 02-14-2016, 10:27 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
Another consideration is since the Warn is considered serviceable and the Smittybilt returnable, where in God's green earth is the Warn serviced? The website has about ten locations but they are a million miles away. That seems like an expensive shipping, long wait scenario I don't care for. I'd love a Warn, but it's not like it's a lawnmower or motorcycle you can get serviced within 90 miles. If they are going to charge $1500 they'd better have a better service infrastructure in place.

I was looking for a service center near you and I think I found a picture of your Jeep on 12th street... LOL

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.6401.../data=!3m1!1e3
post #17 of 23 Old 02-14-2016, 05:30 PM
Granite Guru

I'll throw my non asked for opinion in here.

I have the Smittybilt X20 with synthetic line and love it. I haven't any problems to date. I didn't upgrade my battery and I have used it maybe 10x.

I pulled a Hummer H2 out that pretty damn stuck and have pulled other JK's, and mine out of situations that weren't all too bad but still needed a winch.

I considered a Warn but didn't want wallet to hate me. Happy with the Chinabilt thus far.

2012 JKUR
[Teraflex Full Arm 3"][Britax Baby Seat][Cooper Discoverer STT 35"][Yukon 4:56][Ace Pro Series Bumpers][Artec front truss, Synergy gussets][Smittybilt X20 winch w/synthetic line][Tom Woods front and rear 1350 driveshafts][Crawler Concepts liners][Poison Spyder Fenders][Trucklights][Cobra 75WXT][TrekArmor Covers][Hothead Headliner]
post #18 of 23 Old 02-14-2016, 05:56 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by boopiejones View Post
i have an ENGO and love it. recently pulled a 4 door full size chevy out of a ditch in the snow with it. what really steered me to the Engo was this article:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/12...inch-shootout/

the warn "won" the test, but it got a bunch of points for strange categories that really don't matter to me like "exterior labeling" and "quality of user manual." it also got a crap ton of points for "remote control" but the article didin't say why it was better. the primary concern should be whether or not the buttons on the remote make the cable go in and out... not how pretty it is.

what killed the warn for me was that it literally exploded (or imploded) when it hit its stalling point. i will concede that it pulled a lot before getting to the point of destruction, but the problem is you never know exactly how much you are pulling. i'd rather have a winch fail to pull, but still work, than a winch that gets destroyed. for less than 1/3 of the price, the engo seemed like a tremendous value to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM-v9ERitlw
Did you notice that the Warn broke after it had reached 16000 pounds of pull. The Engo stalled at 12000 pounds. Maybe that's why its rated as a 9k winch. Makes me wonder what a 10 or 12k rated warn would pull.

'11 JKUR, 3" Full-Traction w/5100's, 37x17 Trail Graps on Slabs, 10 Fact Axles, Adams front DS, TF44 front, PSC Hydro Assist. Home made sliders, bumpers, tire carrier. Warn XD9000i w/Smitty Synth line.
post #19 of 23 Old 02-15-2016, 06:53 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

The county jail! Aren't you a wise ass.. Lol. I was all excited too.
(the Warn service center google maps reference)
post #20 of 23 Old 02-15-2016, 07:00 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LepreCon View Post
I'll throw my non asked for opinion in here.

I have the Smittybilt X20 with synthetic line and love it. I haven't any problems to date. I didn't upgrade my battery and I have used it maybe 10x.

I pulled a Hummer H2 out that pretty damn stuck and have pulled other JK's, and mine out of situations that weren't all too bad but still needed a winch.

I considered a Warn but didn't want wallet to hate me. Happy with the Chinabilt thus far.

Sadly almost everything is built there. Your phone, tv, refrigerator, washer, dryer, etc.
I'm looking like the OP is.. Thinking Warn 10k for 599$ vs Engo vs Smittybilt x20 pro
post #21 of 23 Old 02-17-2016, 10:46 AM
Wheeler

I have the x20. Seems to be pretty solid winch, I have not had it for to long so
cant say much on anything else. A plus for me is that it is wireless. Only used it twice with no problems.
post #22 of 23 Old 02-17-2016, 11:17 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnoxious1 View Post
Did you notice that the Warn broke after it had reached 16000 pounds of pull. The Engo stalled at 12000 pounds. Maybe that's why its rated as a 9k winch. Makes me wonder what a 10 or 12k rated warn would pull.
i did. that's why i said "i will concede that it pulled a lot before getting to the point of destruction"

but the problem is you don't get to weigh the pull before making the pull. i'd rather have a winch that stalls at 12k but doesn't break, vs a winch that explodes at 16k.
post #23 of 23 Old 02-17-2016, 01:30 PM

I think both winches are excellent options. I went a little cheaper then the Warn with an 8k Rugged Ridge winch. My Jeep is a 2015 JKU built pretty heavy and I have not had any issues with the winch. For less then $300 I am quite pleased with how it has handled itself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode