Please help me diagnose - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

Please help me diagnose

Okay... warning! Totally newb question. I've never been a mechanic and before the JK didn't do much of my own work on cars/trucks, so please excuse the vague description below....

It seems I've got an issue in the pass side rear area. As I'm driving along I get a "chirping" sound that seems to correspond to wheel speed in frequency. Go slowly and I get chirp ---- chirp ---- chirp ---- chirp, etc. Drive quickly I get chirpchirpchirpchirp, etc.

I put the Jeep in 4-LO and walked beside it in a parking lot but I guess it wasn't going quickly enough to chirp as I got nothing.... Well, except for a nice walk

If I step on the brake pedal the chirp goes away. If I keep one foot on the gas and step on the brake pedal the chirp still goes away. Once the brake pedal is released the chirp returns.

I'm pretty sure its coming from the pass rear as I drove beside a long wall and the noise was louder when the pass side was near the wall vs. the drivers side.

I've got about 13500 miles on it so far.

So folks, any thoughts? Is it time for new brakes? Bad wheel bearing? Potential issues with the rear drive shaft? Flux Capacitor on the fritz or the DiLithium Crystals not aligned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 06:47 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Remove the wheel and do a inspection?

2007 Jk Rubicon
1952 M38A1
post #3 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 07:11 AM
Rock God

I agree, a wheel off inspection is due. Been wheeling lately?
Sounds like you have a bit of FOD somewhere between the roatating pieces that is displaced when you hit the brakes.
Maybe a little piece of a stick, or a small rock wedged somewhere. Does it sound like a metal/metal chirp or more like metal/wood or maybe metal/rock?

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 07:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Could also be that the brake wear indicator is starting to rub. The rears have been going quickly for people. I got lucky and got 20K out of mine, but others have gone sooner.

Take the wheel off and you should be able to see if the tab on the brake pad is the problem. The fact that it goes away when you put your foot on the brake leads me to believe this could be the problem. The good thing is that the break pads would be the cheapest fix.
post #5 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Wheeler

Roadkill?

Maybe it's a dead cat stuck to the wheel and it's head is slapping against the wheelwell on each rotation...?

08 Jeep Unlimited X

"If it feels good, do it!"
Grandma Belyew

Last edited by JoeBlob; 08-28-2008 at 07:42 AM.
post #6 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
Could also be that the brake wear indicator is starting to rub. The rears have been going quickly for people. I got lucky and got 20K out of mine, but others have gone sooner.

Take the wheel off and you should be able to see if the tab on the brake pad is the problem. The fact that it goes away when you put your foot on the brake leads me to believe this could be the problem. The good thing is that the break pads would be the cheapest fix.
You wouldn't happen to have a picture of the brake wear indicator, would you? I'm not sure I would know what that would look like. Where on the JK caliper would that show up?

Is it this:

post #7 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 08:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It would be something like, just a skinny metal piece that touches the rotor first to annoy you before doing damage.

I didn't see a wear indicator on ours when I rotated the tires at 24K, but the pads were looking mighty thin. Good thing is it's the wife's dd and she's not hard on brakes

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #8 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

I agree, just pull off the wheel and look at the brake pads.

Sometimes the spring that helps pull the calipers open when you release the brake comes off one of the sides or some debri gets in someplace. I would imagine the problem would be visible with a quick inspection
post #9 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

Looks like I'll be pulling a wheel off tonight! LOL
post #10 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 12:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

It could be just some dirt on the pads, especially in the little slot down the center of the pad. Remove the wheel, inspect the brakes for wear and clean it all up. The fact that the noise goes away when you put on the brakes shows that they may not be worn out yet.
post #11 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

Without removing the caliper from the mount how would I get in there to clean out any debris?
post #12 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Openly Hostile

You'll have to remove it, It's only two bolts tho.

Jason
post #13 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 01:20 PM
Rock God

Just to add my 2cents, I just had my brakes inspected and found that the rear brakes were completely worn down, but the front brakes were only 40% worn.

Dirty Minion #6
post #14 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Alec W

Iíve been having the same problem ipe. My pads are not warn but same symptoms. It somewhat when away using some Stop Squeak but its still comes back from time to time. Next step is new pads even though I donít need them (8,000 miles).
post #15 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 02:09 PM
gcg

Is it possible that you've just developed a glaze on the pads and that they drag a bit, causing the noise. You might just try a couple of very hard stops (being very careful, of course) to see if it makes a difference. If the pads are glazed the quick stops often take care of it.
post #16 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 04:48 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

mine have been doing the same thing since 1k miles.

All the same exact symptoms and if I turn right slightly it unloads the passenger rear tire and it gets loud. if i slightly turn to the left it puts pressure on it and it will go away.

have looked and found nothing

08 Rubicon Unlimited-Just about stock!
I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money... You keep "The Change"!
Ask me about SH!TTY companies like Full Traction, Pure Jeep, and others!
post #17 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 05:24 PM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasjeep View Post
mine have been doing the same thing since 1k miles.

All the same exact symptoms and if I turn right slightly it unloads the passenger rear tire and it gets loud. if i slightly turn to the left it puts pressure on it and it will go away.

have looked and found nothing
That's exactly what mine does but it's the DS rear.
post #18 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

Well... its revelations time. I learned a few interesting things.

1. I had a lot of dirt and debris packed into my rt. rear caliper.
2. Its not too difficult to remove the caliper and wash away the offending dirt and debris
3. That I will be very happy for the first mile and a half where I was totally squeak/chirp free....
4. Doing a panic stop will cause the squeak/chirp to return
5. That I will no longer be happy upon the return of the squeak/chirp

All this makes me suspect that maybe its the front caliper????

I also learned that at least one of my Staun Internal Beadlocks has ruptured. I checked the pressure in the tire and it was 35psi. I checked the beadlock and it was also 35psi (it should be 50). So I start inflating the beadlock.... damn its taking a long time to inflate... check the tire and its now the same pressure as the beadlock - 42psi. Relase pressure in the tire to 35psi and then check the beadlock. Yep, its back 35 again. Hrmmmm

This is good news and bad news. Good news in that I may have finally tracked down my balance issue. Bad news in that its going to be a PITA to replace the tube in the beadlock.

Soo... its looks like I've got some work ahead of me. All the wheels will need to come off the check the pressure in the beadlocks (unless I can contort the gauge into being able to check them). When the front pass side wheel is off I'll clean that caliper too and I guess I'll apply some Stop Squeak like Alec mentioned above.

I also noted the same turning thing that Vegasjeep mentioned where turning in one direction will cause the squeak to go away. What a total PITA...

On a positive note, I had another article published on Off-Road.com. This one covers the Smittybilt XCR8 winch and Viking Combo Line.
post #19 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 06:01 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

i have disassembled, made sure everything was clean, and it has to be something other then grit.

08 Rubicon Unlimited-Just about stock!
I'll keep my guns, my freedom, and my money... You keep "The Change"!
Ask me about SH!TTY companies like Full Traction, Pure Jeep, and others!
post #20 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

On a positive note, I had another article published on Off-Road.com. This one covers the Smittybilt XCR8 winch and Viking Combo Line. [/quote]

Nice write up.. I was looking for a inexpensive winch to go with the bumper I am building. I was having a hard time trying to choose..

post #21 of 63 Old 08-28-2008, 06:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

di dou try just jacking up the jeep and spin the wheels by hand to see if it does it , maybe you could hear it better

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #22 of 63 Old 08-29-2008, 02:04 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Chris View Post
On a positive note, I had another article published on Off-Road.com. This one covers the Smittybilt XCR8 winch and Viking Combo Line.
Nice write up.. I was looking for a inexpensive winch to go with the bumper I am building. I was having a hard time trying to choose..[/QUOTE]

Hijack...
I'm running 90 feet the Viking Fireline with a thimble, great combo.

/jl

Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.
post #23 of 63 Old 08-29-2008, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Ipe
Rock God

Driving the 20 miles to work this AM (half highway, half back road) I heard the squeak every now and then (odd), and it seemed to be gone by the time I got to work. Somehow I doubt that its gone for good but we'll see.

I'm a bit concerned about the internal beadlock. It wouldn't surprise me if the boneheads at the tire place I last had the tires balanced attempted to unseat the bead without releasing pressure from the beadlock. I'm worried about the carnage I'm going to find inside there as either the tube or the beadlock casing would need to be torn significantly for the pressure to act the way it did last night. Uggggghhhhhh.
post #24 of 63 Old 08-29-2008, 06:24 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
I must be real lucky, I'm at 38k and expect to see 50k out of mine.
post #25 of 63 Old 08-29-2008, 06:26 AM
TrailDuty.com

Get someone to drive it slowly while you walk around it and pinpoint the noise, it will save you a lot of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode