Help: Hardtop Paint - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 02-03-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Help: Hardtop Paint

Hey all,

I was just wondering if any of you have tried painting the outer shell of the jk hardtop? I'm thinking of using plastic adhering paint like 'Krylon: Fusion for Plastic' but curious if the stock tops are coated in anything that might need to be stripped off or sanded down.

I found a lot of forums on painting the inside but couldn't find one for the outer shell.

trying to go for the tank/tan tj look

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-03-2016, 06:20 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeddie View Post
Hey all,

I was just wondering if any of you have tried painting the outer shell of the jk hardtop? I'm thinking of using plastic adhering paint like 'Krylon: Fusion for Plastic' but curious if the stock tops are coated in anything that might need to be stripped off or sanded down.

I found a lot of forums on painting the inside but couldn't find one for the outer shell.

Thank you!
I've painted part of my hard top, and there's nothing special about the top material.
It paints about the same as gel coated fiberglass if that tells you anything.
I prep with a Scotch Brite pad and Windex, then wipe it down with a clean microfiber cloth.
You can do "more classy" prep. if you want, but my "farmer/ghetto" prep. has never let me down.

As for paint:
Regular Krylon works great (haven't tried Fusion). Just know that it'll go to shit in about 2 years and need a scuff and re-shoot.
If you want to avoid the duty cycle of rattle-can paint, you have to step up to catalyzed paint.
I'm cool with the spray bomb route and a bit of maintenance, but you may want to to "pro".

Here's a bit of my bullshit that may be helpful:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
. . .

Pick a card . . . any card . . .
Got a pack of cards you don't mind trashing? This absolutely kicks ass to mask off the rubber gasket on the hard top come rattle can time.
A few months back, I realized that my white Krylon job (good for 2 years in the sun) was 3+ years old.
That pretty much explained why the white area of the top was looking beat to shit and whitewashing the sides of the hard top.

Brang fahhhrrrrkin' noo! 3 coats of satin bright white and (I went fancy this time) 2 coats of satin clear over the white part of the top.

Shoulda' just turned the fawkin' top inside-out:
At the same time part of the factory black was re-painted white, the factory white was painted black (I wasn't just bored, there is a reason)

The inside of the top was better looking finished in white, but with the satin black I don't end up seeing it when driving. <-- SAFER ARE GOODER

Paint inside the top is the same SEM flexible urethane I use on the rims before every trip to indicate what needs a-checkin' after rocks kiss them

. . .
Hope that helps ya' figger out yer' paintin' plan.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 05-17-2019 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Fixed pics after Photobucket ass-headed extortion attempt
post #3 of 7 Old 02-03-2016, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Quote:
Hey all,

Thank you!
I've painted part of my hard top, and there's nothing special about the top material.
I prep with a Scotch Brite pad and Windex, then wipe it down with a clean microfiber cloth.
You can do "more classy" prep. if you want, but my "farmer/ghetto" prep. has never let me down.

As for paint:
Regular Krylon works great (haven't tried Fusion). Just know that it'll go to shit in about 2 years and need a scuff and re-shoot.
If you want to avoid the duty cycle of rattle-can paint, you have to step up to catalyzed paint.
I'm cool with the spray bomb route and a bit of maintenance, but you may want to to "pro".

Quote:
. . .

Pick a card . . . any card . . .
Got a pack of cards you don't mind trashing? This absolutely kicks ass to mask off the rubber gasket on the hard top come rattle can time.
A few months back, I realized that my white Krylon job (good for 2 years in the sun) was 3+ years old.
That pretty much explained why the white area of the top was looking beat to shit and whitewashing the sides of the hard top.

Brang fahhhrrrrkin' noo! 3 coats of satin bright white and (I went fancy this time) 2 coats of satin clear over the white part of the top.

Shoulda' just turned the fawkin' top inside-out:
At the same time part of the factory black was re-painted white, the factory white was painted black (I wasn't just bored, there is a reason)

The inside of the top was better looking finished in white, but with the satin black I don't end up seeing it when driving. <-- SAFER ARE GOODER

Paint inside the top is the same SEM flexible urethane I use on the rims before every trip to indicate what needs a-checkin' after rocks kiss them

. . .
thanks for the write up exwrench! i think i'll try the rattle can route too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-04-2016, 01:14 AM
JKO Addict!

x2 on rattle canning the top. I rattle canned the inside of the top and changed it from white to black. That worked great and no problems with paint adhesion.

As for the outside, I just keep that the stock color and touch up scratches with the Mopar hard top paint. It is well matched to the top and is a good match on the Teraflex tailgate hinge as well.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-06-2016, 11:28 AM

I had my hardtop painted to match the tub at a body shop with Mopar paint. One thing to consider is that if you are looking for an exact match it will be hard to get with the black plastic. Mine is a shade or two darker than the tub.

I believe the factory color matched hardtops are gray plastic underneath.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-06-2016, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

As for paint:

I forgot you ran that top white ; one of the 1st conversations we had was about the heat and temp reduction you got with that,Ex. I never did paint mine. Now(trektopNX) it sits under tarp out back on sawhorses so I've just readded this to my Spring list of stuff to copy from your brilliant collection of mods,sir....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-06-2016, 10:00 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
thanks for the write up exwrench! i think i'll try the rattle can route too
Glad to help! If you're careful with your prep. and painting, it'll look professional.

If you re-prep. and re-shoot before it gets chalky (about 2 years), it'll continue to look professional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
. . . I've just readded this to my Spring list of stuff to copy from your brilliant collection of mods,sir....
"Brilliant" may be a bit of a stretch, but thanks j3ff3ry! You will notice the heat reduction.

Also, with a white roof and dark body (at least in California):
Stoners will get outta' the fast lane for ya' when you go rippin' up behind 'em 'cuz they'll think you're a cop

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in