Future Jeep Owner for Camping/Overlanding - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-31-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Future Jeep Owner for Camping/Overlanding

Hey Everyone! It's been a long dream of my Wife and I to go Camping/Overlanding. So when it came time to pick the vehicle we couldn't agree more than to pick a Jeep. My question is what lift height and tire size would you recommend? Something that wouldn't lead to too much modifications as I'd like to keep it handling good the road. I'm not planning on doing Rock Crawling or Mudding, just something that would be able to take us across most obstacles we come across Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-31-2016, 12:31 PM
Wheeler

Welcome to the forum, I'm new to this forum and the JK's but long time Jeep owner. If this is your first Jeep I would recommend you drive it stock for a while. It will surprise you how capable they are without modifications.
After that you can decide if you really need or want to lift it, but based on what you are saying personally I wouldn't go past 2.5" and 35s.
I'm sure the experts will chime in shortly with more information.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-01-2016, 07:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art_M. View Post
Welcome to the forum, I'm new to this forum and the JK's but long time Jeep owner. If this is your first Jeep I would recommend you drive it stock for a while. It will surprise you how capable they are without modifications.
After that you can decide if you really need or want to lift it, but based on what you are saying personally I wouldn't go past 2.5" and 35s.
I'm sure the experts will chime in shortly with more information.
That's a pretty good recommendation IMO. You can also get a lot of help with your intended use on expeditionportal.com. There's a jeep specific forum there and what you're talking about is exactly what they do.

Welcome to JKO.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-02-2016, 03:31 PM
JKowners Vendor

A 2.5"-3" kit is perfect for some 315's or 35" tires for what your plans are.

801-713-3314
post #5 of 5 Old 02-02-2016, 05:11 PM
Rock God

For overlanding I would go with a stock Rubicon with a Teraflex 1 1/2 leveling kit. If a Rubicon is out of the budget I would go sport with 32" or 33" tires, same lift and add an ARB locker to the rear and manual quick disconnects to the front swaybar.

'11 JKUR, 3" Full-Traction w/5100's, 37x17 Trail Graps on Slabs, 10 Fact Axles, Adams front DS, TF44 front, PSC Hydro Assist. Home made sliders, bumpers, tire carrier. Warn XD9000i w/Smitty Synth line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode