I want a diesel option!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 10-09-2007, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I want a diesel option!!!

I have to rant a bit. I don't see why we can't get the diesel option in 45 states in the USA that don't have overly strict diesel emissions. Hell, they are even built in the USA! I would walk right down to the Dealership today and pay cash for a Diesel, auto, 2dr JK. It doesn't even have to be the Cummins that the rumor mill is talking about. I would be perfectly happy with the little 2.8L turbo diesel. AEVs little white mutt of a TJ with the old 2.8 liberty diesel and 5 speed auto gets right around 20mpg pushing 37s on the interstate at 75mph! I wouldn't really expect any less from the new JK with the diesel. Its a shame that Jeep thinks that the Diesel won't sell in the other 45 states in the country. I know that diesel emissions are getting tougher in a few states in our fair nation...but why should they ruin it for the rest of us.

Does anyone know how hard it would be to import a European Model???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-09-2007, 02:32 PM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Welcome to the forum!

Good questions. And certainly a question many would like to know the answer to.

The rumors on the answer for this range from DC keeping the "options" limited to keep costs down while they test out the new model to crash tests and safety regulations and standards.

The latest rumor is some sort of additional engine option in 2010 with the latest twist being that of another gas engine, not a diesel option.

So I didn't really answer your question, I guess we will just have to wait and see. The only other option is a motor swap, which aside from being spendy would force this JK enthusiast to look towards a 6.1 Hemi.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-10-2007, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

But they already make the 2.8 Diesel JK in europe. I can go right into the dealer over there....point at one....and buy it. I would think that crash testing would have to be done for vehicles over there too.

For an everyday non-tube type 'wheeler I think the JK has potential. I just hate that I can't get a dang diesel when over the pond everyone is raving about them.

I looked into it a little yesterday. It looks like it might be possible to import one with a little work. The only kicker would be the EPA emissions requirements for diesels sold in 2007-2008 model years. I don't know if you use your state requirements or some kinda of national standard.

I am seriously kicking around this idea....even with it being very impractical.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-10-2007, 10:37 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i like the idae of a diesel model but in reality it would push it out of the price range i could afford, it would prob be 35k for a 2 door rubi diesel.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #5 of 10 Old 10-13-2007, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I would pay for it. The mileage increase and alternative fuel possibilities would be well worth it to me.

Anyone know how to import one
post #6 of 10 Old 10-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Gib
Rock God

I think the main reason that they did not do this is because they know that the 2.8 VM Motori will be too dirty to pass the 50 states emissions that will be put into place in 2010. If you can wait a few more years then we should have a Diesel JK. Also the 2.8 in it's stock form is loud and really short on horsepower. It might do fine in the 2dr, but the 4dr would probably be a bigger dog than it is now. The new Cummins should be an extrordinary engine with hp being about the same as we have now, but with torque increased by a hundred ft.-lbs. or better.
post #7 of 10 Old 10-17-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mieser View Post
I would pay for it. The mileage increase and alternative fuel possibilities would be well worth it to me.

Anyone know how to import one
I would think you would have to import it to Canada first. I know Toy guys who do this.
post #8 of 10 Old 10-18-2007, 10:18 AM
Granite Guru

you can import a diesel if it is burning an uncontrolled fuel (see taxed/smogged) @ least thats what i have been told by the C.A.R.B. If it runs on diesel or gas it cant be newer than 78' if i remeber correctly.... I have a whole file of info somewhere. Some states are easier to import into than others.
post #9 of 10 Old 10-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Gib
Rock God

I looked at doing this extensively when I first decided to purchase a JK. There are links on the US Customs, and EPA website about importing them. IF it doesn't have the US specs sticker, which it won't. It will cost you an arm and a leg. It will have to go to one of the EPA approved shops at a port city. There are less than a dozen for the entire nation. And they have to do all of the work there to bring it up to spec to pass the American regulations, and test for smog there in house. That doesn't even cover any state regulations only the federal ones. It really isn't worth it.
post #10 of 10 Old 10-25-2007, 01:44 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage
Question re.importing

It would be more cost effective to transplant a motor from the old CRD liberty or a wrecked 3.0 crd GC. Look for the PHX engine project to replace the 3.8 with a 4.0 v6 in 2010 and cross your fingers for a cummins crd 2.8 by 2012.

Just a guess

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode