Teraflex Alpine Flexarms = no more white knuckle! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By TeraFlex
  • 1 Post By Hickey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 01-29-2016, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Teraflex Alpine Flexarms = no more white knuckle!

My first JK was a 2012 4 door Rubicon. My only suspension mod was a Teraflex leveling kit. I racked up 42k miles on the ODO before I traded it in on my 2015 JK 2 door Rubicon.

With the new JKR I went with the Mopar Performance 2" lift. This lift does not include control arms, and uses cam bolts to adjust your caster.

The JKUR (4 door Rubicon) was pretty comfortable with highway speeds. The new JKR, with its 2" lift (that actually nets over 3") was white knuckle on the highway, even after adding the cam bolts to gain some caster back. I wouldn't even drive the new Jeep over 65 mph because it felt so flighty and wandered all over the lane.

I researched the forums and found many JK owners experiencing the same issue. The solution requires adding either Goemetry Correction Brackets, or aftermarket front lower control arms (LCA's).

The Geo brackets are clearly the cheapest option (about $100 from various manufacturers) and they return your front end geometry to stockish specs. The con here is decreased ground clearance, as they literally just space your control arms down.

I knew I didn't want rock fangs under my Jeep, so control arms were in my future. There are either fixed arms, or adjustable arms available from a bazillion different manufacturers. I wanted adjustable arms so I could adjust the caster again later if I made other changes to the suspension.

Most adjustable control arms use a cartridge joint at one or both ends. I don't care for cartridge joints. The added maintenance isn't worth the small gain in flex. I've never had a problem with factory style bushings in my control arms.

Hosted by JeepParking.com

I had been researching adjustable arms for about a month when SEMA brought us the latest and greatest from the aftermarket. Teraflex came out with its new line of Alpine Flexarms. These new arms are adjustable, but use factory style bushings. They also use an aluminum pinch collar in lieu of a jamb nut.

I picked up a set of these new Teraflex Alpine Flexarms and installed and adjusted them. They were really simple to install. No need for a jack, just remove one OEM control arm at a time and replace with the new shiny goodness.

After checking my measurements and tightening all hardware, I took the Jeep for a spin. Everything felt the same as before until I approached 50 mph. Then 60 mph, 70, and all the way to 80 mph. No vibes, no pull to one side, NO MORE WANDER! WOOT!

My JKR is now a joy to drive on the highway. I can cruise at highway speeds with only 1 hand on the wheel. I've had these arms on for 2 months now and nothing has changed, no squeaks or clunks or any kind of binding.

Thanks Teraflex for making the exact high quality parts I really wanted, but couldn't find anywhere else. I would absolutely recommend these arms to anyone.

Edit: picture links replaced

Last edited by Hickey; 01-29-2016 at 06:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-29-2016, 05:03 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Picture links appear to be broken
post #3 of 20 Old 01-29-2016, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
Picture links appear to be broken
How about now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-29-2016, 06:25 PM
Rock God

looks good. I am getting a set for my back end.
post #5 of 20 Old 01-29-2016, 08:24 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

I saw these the day they were announced & felt that, if they are actually as stout as they appeared in photos and perform as one could imagine, they will be extremely popular; it is nice to start getting some viable feedback on what is potentially a good dual purpose option that TF has added to the aftermarket adjustable CA upgrades offerings...I still target the DDB Synergy's I'll be grabbing soon but am seriously checking these out...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old 01-29-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

When I got mine, there weren't really any vendors that had them in stock yet. Now that they've been out for a while, I've seen the prices are even lower than I expected. Cheaper than most adjustable control arms, except maybe the poor quality offerings out there.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-30-2016, 06:10 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

How did you increase caster by replacing them one at a time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #8 of 20 Old 01-30-2016, 08:03 AM
Granite Guru

I like this product.

I am running the Synergy fixed length units with their DD bushings for similar reasons.

I suspect simpler arms, without jam nuts, will start to be a trend. Most users don't need the complexity that the mechanical joints offer.

I am a set it a forget it kind of guy. Synergy arms are great and don't limit the flex on my rig. I suspect the Teraflex arms will work equally as well.

:-)

< '81 CJ7, Chev power. Leaf springs baby!

2016 JKU Sport
The good guys: Synergy, Artec, MetalCloak, MCE
- 2.5" MC coils, Synergy arms and drag link flip.
- 37" BFG MTs on 17x8.5 -6

2013 GC... 5.7(MILF command centre)
post #9 of 20 Old 01-30-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
How did you increase caster by replacing them one at a time?
With the cam bolts loose, there is plenty of give. I pulled a stock arm off, measured it's length, then adjusted the Teraflex arm to the same length. I then adjusted the Teraflex joint out 1 full turn. (you can't adjust by half turns, the joint is not square) Then I installed it. After doing both sides, I adjust the cam bolts and torqued to spec. Even without cam bolts, it wouldn't be difficult to change one arm at a time. With only one end of an arm unbolted, you can push on a tire and get enough movement.

I measure the angle of the different cover area before and after install. I gained about 1 degree of caster correction with the changes I made.

I intend to order a cam bolt eliminator kit soon, which may require adjusting my arms again.

Last edited by Hickey; 01-30-2016 at 09:30 AM.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-02-2016, 12:19 PM
Wheeler

Saw a post on FB this morning that Teraflex is having a give away for these. I think they are giving away 2 pairs of arms. Check their FB page if you're interested.
post #11 of 20 Old 02-02-2016, 03:30 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus Jim View Post
Saw a post on FB this morning that Teraflex is having a give away for these. I think they are giving away 2 pairs of arms. Check their FB page if you're interested.
We are giving away 1 complete set of 8 Alpine Arms actually. Sorry had a little typo in that post at first.

Thanks Hickey for posting up your review on these.
w88vntop likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

801-713-3314
post #12 of 20 Old 02-02-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
We are giving away 1 complete set of 8 Alpine Arms actually. Sorry had a little typo in that post at first.

Thanks Hickey for posting up your review on these.
I'm crossing my fingers that I win that FB giveaway. These are the best adjustable arms on the market, if you ask me.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-03-2016, 03:40 PM
Rock God

Are they adjustable on the jeep or do you have to remove one end to adjust caster?

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff
post #14 of 20 Old 02-04-2016, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

You have to drop one end.
w88vntop likes this.
post #15 of 20 Old 02-04-2016, 06:54 PM

Just had a set put on my rear. Put my tires back to the center of my axle. Awesome arms at a great price.
post #16 of 20 Old 03-02-2016, 12:21 AM
Wheeler

Garage

Thanks for the review, I have the fixed Tera sport arms and love the way it handles. I regularly cruise 80+ on the Hwy and it handles like a sports car(well kind of, lol)

15 JKUHR 37's, RE Long arm, Metalcloak 4.5 springs, Fox shocks, Mopar beadlocks.... Etc....
post #17 of 20 Old 03-02-2016, 04:54 AM
Rock God

I was running the TF sport fixed lca and recently switched to the Alpines. sports are 22 13/16" long and I adjusted my Alpines to 23" and bidabang perfect. My jeep drove great with the sport arms and even better with the alpine arms. For the person who asked about doing one at a time it is easy remember your axle pivots just jack the front up and give swift kick to either the front or back of the tire and it will move into place. It is about a half hour job.

first sheet was with the sport arms done on feb 17th the second is two weeks later with the Alpine arms you can see 3/16" makes a difference on caster. You can see from camber there is a variance in alignment racks this is with a RK 2.5" overland/expedition set up ie 2.5" coils in front and 3.5" in back.
I would have went to the same place but was in a hurry to get it checked as I am leaving for Moab tomorrow.

post #18 of 20 Old 03-02-2016, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

5 degrees feels pretty damn nice.

I just adjusted my arms again, as I welded in Synergy cam bolt eliminators. After 3 months, the pinch collar Allen bolts were exactly as tight as I left them. No issues adjusting them at all.
post #19 of 20 Old 03-03-2016, 05:32 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey View Post
5 degrees feels pretty damn nice.

I just adjusted my arms again, as I welded in Synergy cam bolt eliminators. After 3 months, the pinch collar Allen bolts were exactly as tight as I left them. No issues adjusting them at all.
It sure does feel good.
post #20 of 20 Old 09-24-2019, 04:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Resurrecting this one. Anyone running the Teraflex Alpine long arms? Thinking of replacing their older long Flexarms with the Alpines.

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode