dynamite or sound deadener? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 01-20-2016, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

dynamite or sound deadener?

What results if any have people seen using the dynamite type sound deadeners in their jeeps? I came across a company the other day that sells precut sound deadener for the full or half floors plus something for the soft top as well.

We use our jeep for a lot of road trips and that would make it more bearable for my wife and daughter. I know a lot of people don't care or mind I'm looking to quiet down the inside a little for music and conversation purposes. I know going from stock top to the Trektop pro was a huge difference.

I guess if I decide to do it or both I could measure the sound before and after and post for others. I just figured someone else in here has tried or even used this companies stuff before.

edit: dynamat not dynamite

2010 JKU, RK 3.5 short arm, Fox reservoir shocks and 2.0 steering stabilizer, 37"deegan 38 tires, Trektop Pro, Arias flat fenders

Last edited by FtHoodJK; 01-20-2016 at 10:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-21-2016, 04:45 AM
Rock God

I like the first idea best.

POG MO THOIN
post #3 of 11 Old 01-21-2016, 06:45 AM
Wheeler

I haven't done it to my Jeep but I lined the interior of a 2004 F250 with B-Quiet and it did help with the cab noise. Just be aware that once you put it on it's not coming off.

This is the product I used, I think it's a little cheaper than dynamat, don't know if there is a quality difference. http://www.b-quiet.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 01-21-2016, 07:56 AM
Rock God

While I'm sure sound deadeners work well for enclosed cabs, what benefit is there for a soft top, let alone topless?

I go topless(bikini), year round. The OEM exhaust is whisper quiet, the tires make more noise than everything, save any road debris tossed up by the tires that "ping" off the chassis, fenders and rails.
Would I put sound deadener on my floor panels (and create moisture traps)? No.
Would I put it in my doors and tub surround?
To what end?

I just don't see the benefit unless I lived in an arid environment or ran fully enclosed.
I've heard the temperature/insulation argument. It's a moot point in my case.

Am I missing something?
post #5 of 11 Old 01-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Rock God

I've used Dynamat before. It's good stuff, but you have to be realistic about expectations. It's not going to work miracles. It will reduce the hollow, tinny sound of panels, etc., and will slightly reduce intrusion of outside noise. But with limited thickness and limited areas where it can be applied it's not going to change a loud vehicle into an empty church.

I'd say a hard top would make a far bigger difference than Dynamat (or similar). You could install it for longer trips, etc. If a hard top is not an option, Dynamat may help, but it's not going to be a night/day difference.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-21-2016, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I've used it in convertibles before and noticed huge differences. Will it eliminate all of the noise? No but every little bit helps. With the top its the same concept of lining a hard top.

Im installing buy new system in it this weekend and will likely order the lining and floor stuff next week.

2010 JKU, RK 3.5 short arm, Fox reservoir shocks and 2.0 steering stabilizer, 37"deegan 38 tires, Trektop Pro, Arias flat fenders
post #7 of 11 Old 01-21-2016, 08:52 PM
Wheeler

Honestly, if you want to make it more quiet, then get a hard top for it. I have ran both and it was night and day difference.

I've heard horror stories about getting dynamat out.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-21-2016, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I want to make it more quiet with the soft top. I have little to no interest in a hard top. I just got the trektop pro and love it. that itself made a huge difference in sound. I have had a JK with a hardtop and there wasn't that much difference. Maybe when they are stock.

post #9 of 11 Old 01-22-2016, 10:09 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtHoodJK View Post
I want to make it more quiet with the soft top. I have little to no interest in a hard top. I just got the trektop pro and love it. that itself made a huge difference in sound. I have had a JK with a hardtop and there wasn't that much difference. Maybe when they are stock.
If you don't think there's "that much difference" between the noise level in a factory soft top and a factory hard top, then I have serious doubts you're going to end up thinking your DynaMat treatment was worth the trouble and expense. I have both tops and in my opinion the difference is far greater than you'll achieve by adding DynaMat. I understand that you don't want a hard top and am not trying to push you that way, just saying that if you don't think that's an appreciable difference, then you're really not going to be impressed with DynaMat.

A major part of the benefit of DynaMat is the deadening of the movement in the panels. In an audio application, that helps your speakers to be more efficient at producing sound, and producing clean sound, all of which adds to the increased perception of a quieter interior. But in the JK you completely lose the benefit to your speaker system because the speakers are not mounted on those panels. That means that whatever benefit you do get from DynaMat won't seem as great because it will do virtually nothing for the speakers themselves.

If you still have your carpet, and you're happy with the noise reduction from the TrekTop Pro, you're probably about as good as you're going to get without going to a hard top. In your case, I probably wouldn't do anything at all (cost & trouble vs. benefit ratio too low), but if I did, it would just be some Lizard Skin Ceramic Insulation on the front floor boards to eliminate some of the heat off the exhausts. FWIW.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old 01-23-2016, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

when I do it Ill post an update and test the db before and after for $hits and giggles even if I am wrong.

post #11 of 11 Old 01-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Gib
Rock God

Has anyone here ever used Lizard skin? I have been contemplating it. Is it something that you can run without carpet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode