Two for Tuesday Couple of Questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Two for Tuesday Couple of Questions

Had my 2013 Rubicon 10a for a few months and have a couple of quick questions.

1. I've read on several sites about the skid plates that Rubicons are supposed to come with. What skids are they actually talking about? I put a transmission/oil pan skid and a rear differential skid on mine (already had an aftermarket front differential skid on it) and the only skid I really noticed was the metal one on the front attached to the bumper. It doesn't appear anything was missing. Just curious as to what it is supposed to come with.

2. I went wheeling this weekend at Hidden Falls for the annual Polar Bear Run with the Austin Jeep People and the skid plate that was on the front differential when I got the Jeep got caught up twice. Didn't do any damage except take some paint off but now I'm wanting to get rid of it. It does hang 1.5" to 1.75" below the pumpkin. It seems like a skid like that would offer more protection but obviously at a price. Would a heavy duty differential cover offer adequate protection? If so, what would you recommend? I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible but still get something good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 08:33 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskonz View Post
Had my 2013 Rubicon 10a for a few months and have a couple of quick questions.

1. I've read on several sites about the skid plates that Rubicons are supposed to come with. What skids are they actually talking about? I put a transmission/oil pan skid and a rear differential skid on mine (already had an aftermarket front differential skid on it) and the only skid I really noticed was the metal one on the front attached to the bumper. It doesn't appear anything was missing. Just curious as to what it is supposed to come with.

Rubi comes with a gas tank and trans/tcase skid.

2. I went wheeling this weekend at Hidden Falls for the annual Polar Bear Run with the Austin Jeep People and the skid plate that was on the front differential when I got the Jeep got caught up twice. Didn't do any damage except take some paint off but now I'm wanting to get rid of it. It does hang 1.5" to 1.75" below the pumpkin. It seems like a skid like that would offer more protection but obviously at a price. Would a heavy duty differential cover offer adequate protection? If so, what would you recommend? I'd like to keep the cost down as much as possible but still get something good.
Diff skid is definitely aftermarket. I run Poison Spyder diff covers with no skid. They handle the abuse pretty well

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 09:04 AM
Granite Guru

Factory skids are just small/thin ones over the Transfer case, gas tank and the auto.

Most people just get diff covers, the pumpkin itself seems to hold up pretty well. I had Riddlers on mine, but there are a ton of good ones out there.

Jeepless
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 11:58 AM
Rock God

Garage

My 2015 Rubicon had stock gas tank, transfer case and evap skid plate. I have been to Rausch Creek off road park many times on the green trails and some blue trails and they have held up very good. Lots and lots of scraping.
My gas tank skid had a dent in it.

There is also the cross member bar up near the front. That has several dents in it. However I have since removed it and added the M.O.R.E. oil pan/transmission skid plate. I haven't been able to test it out yet.

The stock dif covers have held up well too.

KNOCK ON WOOD!!!

Tammy
post #5 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 12:14 PM
Granite Guru

biggest issue with the stock diff covers would probably be the rear cover getting hung up on a rock and "peeling" off. they're relavitely thin metal, so there is also the possibility of denting them if you run into something that is way too tall.

i suppose a diff skid would protect the stock diff covers, but with the downside of decreasing your ground clearance. for the money, you're better off with a more stout diff cover and no diff skid. i upgraded to riddler covers and they've been great.

Last edited by boopiejones; 01-19-2016 at 12:16 PM.
post #6 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 01:13 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Are you talking about this skid on the front diff?

Run a diff cover like poison spyder or riddler or one of the other heavy duty diff covers and you will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #7 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 02:18 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Are you talking about this skid on the front diff?

Run a diff cover like poison spyder or riddler or one of the other heavy duty diff covers and you will be fine.
Ooooo! I like that. Only thing is the color is off. Where did you get it?

Tammy
post #8 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Momma View Post
Goddammit woman, did you not read that it drags and gets hung up on shit?

Quote:
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 03:55 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:

Hahaha!
post #10 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Wink

Quote:
we know you read all the Extreme Terrain cataloges, madame Barricade ( ) so you're gonna tell us you throw the Quadratec ones away without reading them? 'cause if not, you've HAD to have seen one of these Rancho Red monstrosities plastered w/in there at least once , Tammy!

No, they are not available in purple......but you can paint it and leave purple scrapes all over Rausch Creek rocks.........

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 05:25 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #12 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 05:53 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Oh!!!! That's the one that gets hung up. I was just admiring how shiny it was and was thinking it would look really good in purple. My Bad! #PurpleStruck

Tammy
post #13 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 05:59 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
we know you read all the Extreme Terrain cataloges, madame Barricade ( ) so you're gonna tell us you throw the Quadratec ones away without reading them? 'cause if not, you've HAD to have seen one of these Rancho Red monstrosities plastered w/in there at least once , Tammy!

No, they are not available in purple......but you can paint it and leave purple scrapes all over Rausch Creek rocks.........
I only get the ET catalogs...

I like the idea of leaving purple marks all over RC. Leaving my mark! I might just have to spray paint all my skids purple! #PurpleFootPrints

Tammy
post #14 of 19 Old 01-19-2016, 07:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
I only get the ET catalogs...

I like the idea of leaving purple marks all over RC. Leaving my mark! I might just have to spray paint all my skids purple! #PurpleFootPrints
that'd be awesome for finding your way home, 'tagging' stuff like a thug-princess but it'd be rough on the Monocled Thrush-n-Tufted Yellow SnowOwl that is indigenous to the bush around that area....ya know how those things looove eatin' paint and sh*t......

( i don't know wtf that means....)

post #15 of 19 Old 01-20-2016, 06:49 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
that'd be awesome for finding your way home, 'tagging' stuff like a thug-princess but it'd be rough on the Monocled Thrush-n-Tufted Yellow SnowOwl that is indigenous to the bush around that area....ya know how those things looove eatin' paint and sh*t......

( i don't know wtf that means....)
Man I didn't even think of that poor Monocled Thrush-n-Tufted Yellow Snow Owl. I will have to skip the painting. Whew! I think you just saved the species.

OKay I'm done derailing this thread. My sincere apologies. Carry on.

Tammy
post #16 of 19 Old 01-20-2016, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I'm guessing the one that is on my Jeep is a Rancho because of the red color. I actually left some red paint on a rock when I was out the other day. I'll be taking it off and putting on a better cover soon.
post #17 of 19 Old 01-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Rock God

Garage
Yellow Snow Owl

Quote:
I'm guessing the one that is on my Jeep is a Rancho because of the red color. I actually left some red paint on a rock when I was out the other day. I'll be taking it off and putting on a better cover soon.
that poor Monocled Thrush-n-Tufted Yellow Snow Owl..........

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #18 of 19 Old 01-20-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Good Idea, Like I said PS, Riddler work well. Get a lubelocker gasket when you switch them out as well. but throw out the bolts that they supply and get yourself some quality bolts instead.

http://www.lubelocker.com/

Maybe you can make a couple bucks from it by selling it to the nice lady in Maryland.

Quote:
Quote:
post #19 of 19 Old 01-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

Maybe you can make a couple bucks from it by selling it to the nice lady in Maryland.

Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode