Yet another tire question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 01-16-2016, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to D5Fire
Yet another tire question

Well my Nitto Teragrapplers finally gave up on me and one blew a sidewall on my way to the shooting range today. I managed to get 80k with an additional 8-10k left on some rocks, out of them so I knew it wasnt too much longer anyway. Anyway for the big question of whats next. Im torn between 3, The Toyo RTs, Nitto Trail Grappler, and Goodyear MTR-K. The size will be 35's of course. So which would you or do you run, and how do you like them.

Fortis cadere, cedere non potest

Poison Spyder BFH w/ trail stinger, custom rear BFH, crusher flares, rocker knockers, evap skid, hood louver. Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel, Teraflex rear tire carrier, River Raider cowl snorkel,Warn VR 10,000 lbs winch, sPod, Rigid 50"SR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-16-2016, 11:04 AM
Rock God

Not the Goodyear MTR/K! I had them for 2 years in 35's and had more issues than any MT tire I ever have run. One was out of round and the rest never balanced for crap. I switched to Toyo MT in 37's for the last 40k miles never rebalanced since new no issues and lots of life (20k probably) left.

Skip the MTR/K they are not good tires
post #3 of 5 Old 01-16-2016, 11:33 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Not the Goodyear MTR/K! I had them for 2 years in 35's and had more issues than any MT tire I ever have run. One was out of round and the rest never balanced for crap. I switched to Toyo MT in 37's for the last 40k miles never rebalanced since new no issues and lots of life (20k probably) left.

A major nationwide tire store reiterated the same thing to me a couple weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-16-2016, 11:36 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by D5Fire View Post
Im torn between 3, The Toyo RTs, Nitto Trail Grappler, and Goodyear MTR-K. The size will be 35's of course. So which would you or do you run, and how do you like them.
I'd stick with the Nittos unless they let you down in any way - did they?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post

I could give Boca's response for , except I went to 35" Trail Grapplers.

If Goodyear had the quality control that Nitto does, I'd go for the MTR/Ks all day long . . . but they don't.
The TGs are a shitload heavier than the MTR/Ks, but all that weight is in areas that need reinforcement on the MTR/Ks.

So . . . you got good life out of the Nittos - did they work well during their long life?

EDIT: I read "Terra Grapplers" in your OP but it just now registered - FAWK those tires.
Get some Trail Grapplers (like you said) if you're re-Nitto-ing. You'll dig these tires, IHMO.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 01-16-2016 at 02:29 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-16-2016, 07:03 PM

I have been in the tire business for 40 plus years and would love nothing more then to recommend a Goodyear to replace your Nitto's but can tell you out of all the brands that I have been associated with over my career Goodyear are a 1/2 step above all the Chinese product out there.
If you are going MT's I would go with the Toyo's - I went AT's this time and I'm running 325/65R18 Firestone AT's (34.8") and love them - picked up 2.5 MPG's and a much smoother ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode