Locker Warranty and Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 01-16-2016, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Locker Warranty and Question

My rear locker wasn't disengaging after wheeling one weekend in November. I had to manually disengage it to get home (through oil fill hole).

Took the JK to the dealer and they ordered a new Locker Actuator. They used to replace the entire locker but now Dana offers just the actuator. The part was on national backorder. It finally came in and I took the JK in on Monday.

Got the JK back and locker works great. No noises coming from the rear end.

My question, the warranty receipt shows they used limited slip additive when they filled it. Technically it is an open axle with a locker. Will that hurt anything?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-16-2016, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I think I answered my own questions. I finally found something on the Interwebz that says the additive won't hurt an open diff. I did read that the oil oxidizes faster and the oil needs to be changed more often.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #3 of 3 Old 01-16-2016, 06:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike View Post
I think I answered my own questions. I finally found something on the Interwebz that says the additive won't hurt an open diff. I did read that the oil oxidizes faster and the oil needs to be changed more often.
Scratchin' my head over the limited slip additive. I wonder if it's something that got put on the ticket by mistake or out of habit, you know, like when they mark that all your tire pressures were set at 35, when you know they were running at 28 when you brought it in -- and still are. Can't see why it would hurt or help anything the way the Rubi-locker is designed.

I just had my rear locker replaced back in the fall for the same symptom -- wouldn't unlock. Two different dealers told me, "No parts available." I actually pulled mine, myself, disassembled it cleaned it thoroughly, and made sure everything was functioning correctly before I reinstalled it. Once it was back together though, same thing. It was like the little wave spring on the inside just didn't have the oomph to disengage the pawls. So I took it to the dealer who wasn't a jerk about it and had them replace it under warranty. Crazy stupid expensive piece though. Definitely won't be buying one out those of pocket! I'll go Eaton or ARB instead.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode