Bumpers (Front and rear plus swingout) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 01-14-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Bumpers (Front and rear plus swingout)

In my TJ years, some brands that were regarded as high quality have gone the wayside. Others have risen from the ashes and appear to make a decent product. Without starting a riot, what bumpers are left that are hard steel? My last warn was.. Arb? Individual fabricators like VKS and others? Hard steel hurts to even graze by with your leg, or bump your hand into.. Does anyone understand? Am I nuts or is everything getting thinner and of inferior guage? Any comments are appreciated. I'm about 4 months out from a purchase. I'm not Interested in integrated winches. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 01-14-2016, 03:13 PM
Rock God

Lots of good choices depending on your budget. Most of them are heavier than you need IMO. I like the lightweight mimimalist/stubbie bumpers but I dont know if that is what your looking for. C/C, JCR, EVO, Poison Spider, VKS and Gen Right I believe are all still USA made. Smitty makes ok bumpers if you want cheap chinese made stuff.

'11 JKUR, 3" Full-Traction w/5100's, 37x17 Trail Graps on Slabs, 10 Fact Axles, Adams front DS, TF44 front, PSC Hydro Assist. Home made sliders, bumpers, tire carrier. Warn XD9000i w/Smitty Synth line.
post #3 of 26 Old 01-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Rock Hard makes a good steel bumper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 01-14-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Excellent. Thanks guys. It's a shame we have to weed through all this to get purpose built, function over aesthetics equipment. My ideal bumper is ideally heavier than average, grade 8 upgrades etc. Deer and other critters need to "stay outta the way". That kinda thing. I'm not into those giant hoops etc but a small horizontal guard is fine. Thanks. Any other experiences are a welcome read. Thanks guys!
post #5 of 26 Old 01-14-2016, 04:54 PM
Wheeler

I am looking to get a Metal Cloak front bumper 56" with light cutouts. I like the idea if you damage an end you just unbolt the end and replace or if you need a stubby for rock crawling just take the ends off. For the rear I am getting the Rock Hard with tire carrier.

Robert

2016 JKS GCM
post #6 of 26 Old 01-14-2016, 06:12 PM
Granite Guru

Can't go wrong with ACE. Stuff is beefy, comes powder coated and is relatively inexpensive.
post #7 of 26 Old 01-14-2016, 06:22 PM
Random Dude

VKS is 90 minutes from you. Bump into some of Vick's stuff and I'd bet it'll hurt like you want, but so will a lot of others.

Really, it comes down to what you want. Many shops make good bumpers out of good material.

My vote? Buy a pile of plate and tube, an angle grinder, and a MIG welder and go post-apocalyptic!

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #8 of 26 Old 01-14-2016, 07:10 PM
Granite Guru

I'm a fan of the Hanson stuff....

2009 Silver Unlimited Rubicon -- Not really stock, anymore.
post #9 of 26 Old 01-15-2016, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

I like his rock rails. Definitely a possibility. I'll look at his bumpers too. Only drawback is I have to etch and paint, but.. I totally get it, given his production costs, etc.
I work too much. I'd love to weld (have to learn first) unfortunately it's more efficient to buy and work overtime than invest time, training and dollars into a quality self build.
Those that have the know how are truly blessed.
More tested brands coming in, thank you all. This is what I needed. I'll research each one, and keep that father son team of VKS in my thoughts as well.
Steve
post #10 of 26 Old 02-05-2016, 10:19 PM
Granite Guru

Here are our RPMFAB bumpers and our Aluminum steering.
Attached Images

RPMFAB
(480)329-2992

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 26 Old 02-07-2016, 11:42 AM
Wheeler

I recently installed an ACE Engineering rear bumper/tire carrier. So far I love the quality! I plan on getting a front bumper from them in the next few months. Pretty good prices, especially since their products come powder coated.
post #12 of 26 Old 02-08-2016, 08:36 AM
Wheeler

Just about any of the big name brands will hold up just fine. Crawler Conceptz, Poison Spyder, JCR, VKS, Rockhard, etc., etc., will take a beating just fine unless you're into crash derbies. Even then, I've seen tons of pictures of people who got into accidents and their bumper was completely fine -- the other car, not so much.

Trust me, if you're worried about a deer denting your bumper, you're being a bit crazy...
post #13 of 26 Old 02-12-2016, 06:35 AM

Warn Elite Series

I just installed a Warn Elite Series front bumper and a winch. I looked at a lot of bumpers, and the Warn was the best looking to me, and functional.
post #14 of 26 Old 02-13-2016, 08:42 PM
Wheeler

I love my ShrockWorks front bumper. Built solid as hell and looks great. When ever I can save up the cash I'm gonna order the rear bumper.

Biggest draw back, and only, is the long wait to get one.
post #15 of 26 Old 02-14-2016, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermicon View Post
Just about any of the big name brands will hold up just fine. Crawler Conceptz, Poison Spyder, JCR, VKS, Rockhard, etc., etc., will take a beating just fine unless you're into crash derbies. Even then, I've seen tons of pictures of people who got into accidents and their bumper was completely fine -- the other car, not so much.

Trust me, if you're worried about a deer denting your bumper, you're being a bit crazy...
The deer around here look like goats.. I was trying to convey the thickness and stout design I was after, not making actual contact. I'm researching each one.. Thank you all

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..
post #16 of 26 Old 02-14-2016, 07:11 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Keeps coming back to Poison spyder brawler with optional sway bar disconnect skid. No cutting, drilling, or fuss, and I can put the winch on later without removing the bumper.

Ton of shit, and not listing it all..
post #17 of 26 Old 02-15-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Just ordered Poison spyder brawler, skid, and shackles. Will grind off crash bar. Thanks for your responses everyone!
post #18 of 26 Old 02-21-2016, 09:47 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to orcusomega

Thanks for putting this up - I am in the exact same boat. Old time TJ guy, and looking now for a JKU Rubi - all my old "go to's" are mostly out of business...

Looking forward to seeing what you put together...
post #19 of 26 Old 02-21-2016, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

We are reliving the same dream then. Since Christmas, I've managed to place the oil, Trans, evap, and sway skids in the Rubi. Just finished the bumper.. Likely the winch is next, or perhaps a TeraFlex leveling kit. I'm sticking with 33s. I put up a few posts..
post #20 of 26 Old 02-29-2016, 06:07 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Bumping on bumpers...Interested!

Just a Jeep!
2010 JKU Rubicon Deep Water Blue Pearl TF CT4 Long Arm kit, HD adj track bars, high steer/flip kit, knuckles & ball joints AntiRock sway bars front/rear 5.38 gears, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed Ten Factory Chromo axle shafts RH HD crossmember SB oil pan/trans/T-case skidplates KMC 17 x 9 Machete XD229 beadlocks 37" Toyo RTs SuperChip FP B&M Trans cooler SB flat metal fenders N-Fab steps/bars Ace aluminum inner fender VKS front/rear bumpers 11.5K Superwinch
post #21 of 26 Old 02-29-2016, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Don't let anyone talk you into keeping that darn crash bar.. Worthless, and so much easier on the arms during install!
post #22 of 26 Old 03-01-2016, 06:19 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

My Metalcloak bumpers are made from 3/16 steel. The front has 4 layers of it in parts lol. The best part with MC is their powder coat is the exact same color as Rustoleum textured flat black, so rock rash is easy to cure.

2013 Commando Green JK - Sold

2014 Suzuki DR-Z400SM - 2001 Honda XR100R StockMoto Race Bike
Ohio Mini Roadracing League #201 - University of Akron Formula SAE - Zips Racing
post #23 of 26 Old 03-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to orcusomega

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
We are reliving the same dream then. Since Christmas, I've managed to place the oil, Trans, evap, and sway skids in the Rubi. Just finished the bumper.. Likely the winch is next, or perhaps a TeraFlex leveling kit. I'm sticking with 33s. I put up a few posts..
Indeed! I am still looking for the right Rubi, but building the list of gear I need to armor her up. Lots of rocks up here, and I like crawling, so need to make sure that the belly is armor'd up.

I had Kilby gas tank skid on the TD and beat the living dogsnot out of it, but Brad sold to C U Offroad, and the JK has a different tank anyways

Thanks for getting this topic started, I can feel my wallet emptying already

Bob
post #24 of 26 Old 03-03-2016, 12:22 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Did you really use your skids... like this or worse???

Just a Jeep!
2010 JKU Rubicon Deep Water Blue Pearl TF CT4 Long Arm kit, HD adj track bars, high steer/flip kit, knuckles & ball joints AntiRock sway bars front/rear 5.38 gears, EVO sleeve/gusset/custom trussed Ten Factory Chromo axle shafts RH HD crossmember SB oil pan/trans/T-case skidplates KMC 17 x 9 Machete XD229 beadlocks 37" Toyo RTs SuperChip FP B&M Trans cooler SB flat metal fenders N-Fab steps/bars Ace aluminum inner fender VKS front/rear bumpers 11.5K Superwinch

Last edited by Shadow_Grey; 03-04-2016 at 09:15 AM.
post #25 of 26 Old 03-03-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Yep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcusomega View Post
Indeed! I am still looking for the right Rubi, but building the list of gear I need to armor her up. Lots of rocks up here, and I like crawling, so need to make sure that the belly is armor'd up.

I had Kilby gas tank skid on the TD and beat the living dogsnot out of it, but Brad sold to C U Offroad, and the JK has a different tank anyways

Thanks for getting this topic started, I can feel my wallet emptying already

Bob
Your welcome Bob. Decided on the Teraflex 2 inch. I figure that at flat Fenders plus the correct offset will handle 35s. I'm never going bigger than that. I'll post pics and include the bumper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode