Suggestions for non-oem radio/nagivator/backup camera - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 121 Old 01-14-2016, 07:47 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Suggestions for non-oem radio/nagivator/backup camera

Hi,
once I get my suspension fixed up, I'm thinking of replacing the oem infinity radio with a Kenwood, maybe DNX892 Head Unit. First question is whether anyone already owns that model and can share experiences with it.
Next I want a backup camera to work with it and I also want the steering stereo control buttons to still function. I also wouldn't mind having audible backup signals, but that's not mandatory.
Main question - which backup camera? I have a 2012 4dr Rubicon. I've seen two camera kits for spare wheel installation: the EchoMaster and Brandmotion. I don't see any reviews for EchoMaster, but Brandmotion seems pretty good. Only thing I don't see on Brandmotion is the backup lines. I kind of like those on my wife's vehicle. EchoMaster I think has the lines in its deluxe kit FC-Wrangler w/ j-cammount, but I cannot find any reviews or even pictures of their products for Jeep other than their lower end jp-mount-kit. Any others recommended by anyone? Anyone have that Echomaster kit and recommend it? I think I want to have a local car audio shop do the install, but so far the shops I've spoken with want me to buy all the parts from them, and of course they're marked up very high.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 121 Old 01-14-2016, 02:02 PM
Wheeler

crutchfield might be a good place to start. they list all the components and installation parts you need to maintain steering wheel functions per HU. if anything, you can just get the parts list and purchase from somewhere cheaper.

http://www.crutchfield.com/Car/outfitmycar/car.aspx
post #3 of 121 Old 01-18-2016, 06:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakeddie View Post
crutchfield might be a good place to start. they list all the components and installation parts you need to maintain steering wheel functions per HU. if anything, you can just get the parts list and purchase from somewhere cheaper.

http://www.crutchfield.com/Car/outfitmycar/car.aspx
Thanks, and sorry for the delay. I must have missed the email notification.
Yes I've been on the Crutchfield website. They did quote me a very high price, but you're right that they do show various configurations and also ratings. A local auto audio shop also quoted me a configuration that was $409 more than I could get the parts myself. When folks do that, I don't even like to go back to them to haggle. It seems so much like robbery that I wonder if their service would be bad too. I'd happily pay more to a local shop than what I might be able to get from Amazon or other cheaper online store, but I wish the numbers were at least reasonable.
I'm wondering if anyone has bought a Kenwood HU and has any comments.
I'm leaning toward a DNX892.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 121 Old 01-18-2016, 07:50 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_jeep View Post
Thanks, and sorry for the delay. I must have missed the email notification.
Yes I've been on the Crutchfield website. They did quote me a very high price, but you're right that they do show various configurations and also ratings. A local auto audio shop also quoted me a configuration that was $409 more than I could get the parts myself. When folks do that, I don't even like to go back to them to haggle. It seems so much like robbery that I wonder if their service would be bad too. I'd happily pay more to a local shop than what I might be able to get from Amazon or other cheaper online store, but I wish the numbers were at least reasonable.
I'm wondering if anyone has bought a Kenwood HU and has any comments.
I'm leaning toward a DNX892.
Same here. There are so few options when it comes to car stereo now I think some shops think they can gouge you even more now. I am looking to replace this App radio double din for a dedicated nav unit (not phone dependent) as well but its hard to shop around. I'll most likely get mine from Amazon though, great deals and even better returns.

2010 JKU, RK 3.5 short arm, Fox reservoir shocks and 2.0 steering stabilizer, 37"deegan 38 tires, Trektop Pro, Arias flat fenders
post #5 of 121 Old 01-18-2016, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtHoodJK View Post
Same here. There are so few options when it comes to car stereo now I think some shops think they can gouge you even more now. I am looking to replace this App radio double din for a dedicated nav unit (not phone dependent) as well but its hard to shop around. I'll most likely get mine from Amazon though, great deals and even better returns.
If I were going to do the work myself I'd buy most of it from Amazon too. One thing you might be careful of is possible earlier versions of products that have sat on a shelf for awhile. Some of the early Excelon's had bootup problems and other reported incompatibilities and issues. I'm not sure if any of the hardware changed or whether it just has to be flashed to get updates.
I think I'm going to let a pro do this one though. I might buy an extended warranty for this beast; whereas I almost never do that.
post #6 of 121 Old 01-18-2016, 02:19 PM
Wheeler

I have the Pioneer XVH-4700BS along with an Esky camera that I'm extremely happy with. I added an iDatalink Maestro for my steering wheel controls and everything works great. I did a fresh install with the head unit, new front and soundbar speakers along with a 10" Infinity sub and 2 amps and it sounds and functions great.

Total cost for everything was about $800 and I got it all on Amazon.

I installed the camera in one of the slots on my factory spare tire. I can remove the tire and put it back fine without affecting the camera.

Links are below
post #8 of 121 Old 01-19-2016, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jskonz View Post
I have the Pioneer XVH-4700BS along with an Esky camera that I'm extremely happy with. I added an iDatalink Maestro for my steering wheel controls and everything works great. I did a fresh install with the head unit, new front and soundbar speakers along with a 10" Infinity sub and 2 amps and it sounds and functions great.

Total cost for everything was about $800 and I got it all on Amazon.

I installed the camera in one of the slots on my factory spare tire. I can remove the tire and put it back fine without affecting the camera.

Links are below
Thanks for the info. I do want built in navigation though. I am interested in your speaker upgrades. You mentioned an amp. How many watts per channel?
Wondering also how clear the quality of the backup camera is. I've seen cameras for $20 up to $300 and ones with special Jeep brackets to fit the wheel. Does that one show the backup lines?
How did you attach it to the wheel? I had wondered what would happen if one needed the spare with one of those attached.

Thanks again.
post #9 of 121 Old 01-19-2016, 07:15 AM
Wheeler

I put these in the soundbar. They fit perfectly using the factory grill covers and sound absolutely amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

I put these in the dash and they fit perfectly as well. I have this set in all my vehicles and they sound great as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s01

I have this amp running the front and soundbar speakers. It is really small and I was able to fit it behind the plate under the steering column.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef_=detailpage

I have this amp running the sub. I originally purchased a Rockford 8" to replace the factory Alpine but it didn't give me the sound I wanted so I sent it back and got a 10" Infinity in a box. This amp comes with a bass control knob too which is nice.

I'll take some pics later of how I mounted the camera. It is very clear. There are 2 versions - one with the lines and one without. I got the one with the lines. I used some spare parts I had lying around the garage to make the bracket. Even at night the camera is nice and clear.
post #10 of 121 Old 01-19-2016, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I put these in the soundbar. They fit perfectly using the factory grill covers and sound absolutely amazing.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

I put these in the dash and they fit perfectly as well. I have this set in all my vehicles and they sound great as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s01

I have this amp running the front and soundbar speakers. It is really small and I was able to fit it behind the plate under the steering column.

I have this amp running the sub. I originally purchased a Rockford 8" to replace the factory Alpine but it didn't give me the sound I wanted so I sent it back and got a 10" Infinity in a box. This amp comes with a bass control knob too which is nice.

I'll take some pics later of how I mounted the camera. It is very clear. There are 2 versions - one with the lines and one without. I got the one with the lines. I used some spare parts I had lying around the garage to make the bracket. Even at night the camera is nice and clear.
I had read some good reviews about the polk upgrades to the soundbar. Also something about tweeter upgrades in the front and also something about stuffing the cavities with some kind of pillow stuff. I need to go read those threads again. That's a lot of juice you have there. I don't think I need that much, but I would like to upgrade some. Thanks so much for all the detail. That really helps when trying to find stuff that works. Is yours a Rubicon 4-dr?
post #11 of 121 Old 01-20-2016, 07:02 AM
Wheeler

Here are a couple pics of the bracket I used and should give you an idea. I just used some spare parts I had lying around. Basically 2 L brackets, a couple of screws, a small plate I had (to mount the camera to) and a couple of zip ties. Just screwed the bracket to the tire carrier. It is nice because I can bend it however I need it to adjust the view and line markings. Also is a pic of the camera in use. It is as clear as the factory one in my Ford Fusion. BTW the image on the screen isn't reversed, it is true.

I have a 2 door Rubicon 10a.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...UNnMmxyM0RjMTQ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...WdlOV9MZU1YWFk

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...EFBVVlaVXdRS0k

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...3hqejdSbS1KdkE

Last edited by Jskonz; 01-20-2016 at 07:13 AM.
post #12 of 121 Old 01-20-2016, 11:36 AM
Granite Guru

I saw one of these the other day and was impressed enough to look into them a bit further...

"Pumpkin" from China, Android based.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pump...utf-8&oe=utf-8

2010 Red Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed - Traded!

2014 Red Unlimited Rubicon X 6 speed - starting over!
post #13 of 121 Old 01-20-2016, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Here are a couple pics of the bracket I used and should give you an idea. I just used some spare parts I had lying around. Basically 2 L brackets, a couple of screws, a small plate I had (to mount the camera to) and a couple of zip ties. Just screwed the bracket to the tire carrier. It is nice because I can bend it however I need it to adjust the view and line markings. Also is a pic of the camera in use. It is as clear as the factory one in my Ford Fusion. BTW the image on the screen isn't reversed, it is true.

I have a 2 door Rubicon 10a.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...UNnMmxyM0RjMTQ

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...WdlOV9MZU1YWFk

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...EFBVVlaVXdRS0k

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By...3hqejdSbS1KdkE
Hey, I like the L brackets. :-)
Good Rube Goldburg. Hope the zip ties last awhile. Might upgrade to metal screw ties.
Image looks good too. Not bad at all for $20.
Thanks.
post #14 of 121 Old 01-20-2016, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by membrain View Post
I saw one of these the other day and was impressed enough to look into them a bit further...

"Pumpkin" from China, Android based.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pump...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Looks like quite a lot for the money. It's a 6.2" display compared with the 6.95" Kenwood I'm looking at, but the pumpkin keeps it simple by not having a tilt open display to get to the dvd or memory slot. In a way, the simplicity of the unit is somewhat appealing.
Thanks for mentioning...
post #15 of 121 Old 01-21-2016, 05:39 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Looks like quite a lot for the money. It's a 6.2" display compared with the 6.95" Kenwood I'm looking at, but the pumpkin keeps it simple by not having a tilt open display to get to the dvd or memory slot. In a way, the simplicity of the unit is somewhat appealing.
Thanks for mentioning...
Hi Jeff, another thing to consider on the motorized displays is that they typically cannot be mounted flush to the dash surface, but have to stick out a little for the motorized panel to have clearance. I have an older Kenwood DNX-821 (I think was the number) in my Chevy Colorado and the motorized face really hasn't been helpful at all. Kind of a pain IMO. Just my .02

@Jskonz, you posted the same link for both amps. I'm guessing you're not running a 4 channel for your sub, but maybe?

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 01-21-2016 at 05:46 PM.
post #16 of 121 Old 01-21-2016, 06:12 PM
Rock God

I have been thru a few Head units on my 14 Rubi. I started with the Pioneer AVH 5600BHS the radio was great and the lay out is quick. I swapped to the Kenwood DNN 991HD not at all impressed with the thing based on what I paid for it and how long it takes to boot. I love Garmin navigation was the biggest reason to the swap to that head unit. Well I have once again decided to venture back to Pioneer. This time I will be running the AVH 4100 Nex. I have the pioneer add on nav unit to work with the radio. It worked great with my 5600 I just like garmins lay out better.

On the speaker side of things I will be installing all polk audio mids and highs in the dash (DB 6051) . I had to cut the tweeter pods to get the polk tweeters in but they are in and actually look to be made for the jeep because they match the interior very well. I will be putting polk DB 651 in the sound bar.
For bass I will be installing an Alpine R series 8" in the factory enclosure all running off an alpine PDX V9 amp. the amp should b emore then enough to run th entire system with ease.
post #17 of 121 Old 01-22-2016, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Hi Jeff, another thing to consider on the motorized displays is that they typically cannot be mounted flush to the dash surface, but have to stick out a little for the motorized panel to have clearance. I have an older Kenwood DNX-821 (I think was the number) in my Chevy Colorado and the motorized face really hasn't been helpful at all. Kind of a pain IMO. Just my .02

@Jskonz, you posted the same link for both amps. I'm guessing you're not running a 4 channel for your sub, but maybe?
Thanks for the experience. It is yet another part of it that can break and I suspect it would be the first thing to have problems if and when. But, we'll see. I'll keep up with the reviews. Not sure if I'm going to do this right away or not.
post #18 of 121 Old 01-22-2016, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspevacek View Post
I have been thru a few Head units on my 14 Rubi. I started with the Pioneer AVH 5600BHS the radio was great and the lay out is quick. I swapped to the Kenwood DNN 991HD not at all impressed with the thing based on what I paid for it and how long it takes to boot. I love Garmin navigation was the biggest reason to the swap to that head unit. Well I have once again decided to venture back to Pioneer. This time I will be running the AVH 4100 Nex. I have the pioneer add on nav unit to work with the radio. It worked great with my 5600 I just like garmins lay out better.

On the speaker side of things I will be installing all polk audio mids and highs in the dash (DB 6051) . I had to cut the tweeter pods to get the polk tweeters in but they are in and actually look to be made for the jeep because they match the interior very well. I will be putting polk DB 651 in the sound bar.
For bass I will be installing an Alpine R series 8" in the factory enclosure all running off an alpine PDX V9 amp. the amp should b emore then enough to run th entire system with ease.
I also liked the idea that Kenwood paired up with Garmin, and also interesting that you mention the long boot time for you Kenwood as I had read that to be an issue. Thanks for the advice. I'll also check out what Pioneer has to offer.
post #19 of 121 Old 01-22-2016, 07:04 AM
Granite Guru

I like my factory stuff.
has everything you asked for (with a lockpick) and plugs right in.
post #20 of 121 Old 01-22-2016, 08:11 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Thanks for the experience. It is yet another part of it that can break and I suspect it would be the first thing to have problems if and when. But, we'll see. I'll keep up with the reviews. Not sure if I'm going to do this right away or not.
My bad. I'm running a mono amp for my sub.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
post #21 of 121 Old 01-22-2016, 08:13 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post

My bad. I'm running a Rockford mono amp for the sub.

post #22 of 121 Old 01-22-2016, 10:59 AM
Granite Guru

I ended up going with the Jensen VX7020 nav unit, Polk Audio DB1001 1-Inch Tweeters, and the Polk Audio DB651/ Polk Audio DB651s

I was going to spend more not the nav unit but the reviews were all over the place on the high end units. Going into a local audio shop the prices were several hundred more and plus install so I went with amazon. The Jenson had a 4 star rating with about 450 reviews so for me that made me feel better than the higher ends with a 4 star and 10 reviews and them being hit and miss. I will just spend the money I saved on the head unit on something else.

2010 JKU, RK 3.5 short arm, Fox reservoir shocks and 2.0 steering stabilizer, 37"deegan 38 tires, Trektop Pro, Arias flat fenders
post #23 of 121 Old 01-23-2016, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
My bad. I'm running a Rockford mono amp for the sub.

Thanks for the update.
post #24 of 121 Old 01-23-2016, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtHoodJK View Post
I ended up going with the Jensen VX7020 nav unit, Polk Audio DB1001 1-Inch Tweeters, and the Polk Audio DB651/ Polk Audio DB651s

I was going to spend more not the nav unit but the reviews were all over the place on the high end units. Going into a local audio shop the prices were several hundred more and plus install so I went with amazon. The Jenson had a 4 star rating with about 450 reviews so for me that made me feel better than the higher ends with a 4 star and 10 reviews and them being hit and miss. I will just spend the money I saved on the head unit on something else.
I know exactly what you're saying. The Kenwood I'm looking at has only a couple of reviews on Amazon and are not steller, but I found quite a few more on Crutchfield web site and they were very favorable.
I'm wavering back and forth whether to go high-end or use the money for a large shed that I badly need. I'm leaning back toward the Garmin with backup camera - http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...armin+2798+LMT
$335. It's that or I get into the $1500 to $1800 range for the in-dash HU. As far as my real needs, I just need a backup camera. The Infinity sound system in my Rubi is better than most stock car stereos and with a little bit of upgrading, that can be better, like the Polk speakers for the soundbar. One thing I really like about the Garmin is that it's wireless from the camera to the viewer which will save a lot of labor. I'd still have to get the camera connected to the brake lights and get it mounted in the spare somehow like JsKonz did, but that would be a lot easier or less expensive than ripping the dash apart and whatever else to run the wires all the way through the vehicle.
post #25 of 121 Old 01-23-2016, 04:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
I also liked the idea that Kenwood paired up with Garmin, and also interesting that you mention the long boot time for you Kenwood as I had read that to be an issue. Thanks for the advice. I'll also check out what Pioneer has to offer.
It may be the fact the unit is supposed to be IP connected at all times for the thing to fully function. Kenwood states the 991 works with Verizons USB Modem yet I have tried 3 different ones and can not get the damn thing to properly connect. I will put in the Pioneer NEX which I am doing today since I have a snow day and we can not safely handle appointments. I ran power for the AMP last night have all the dash wired I just need to get lines to the amps location.

I am just sick of shoveling a path from the house to the garage every time I need a damn coffee refill.........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode