35's with coil spacers - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 01-12-2016, 02:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

35's with coil spacers

Hi guys- ive been researching here and getting mixed reviews. Currently have a 2013 4 door wrangler sport.

Im thinking of upgrading to 35" tires, with a 2.5" coil spacer lift. Will I run into any scrubbing? Ive read both yes and no on here, so considering my options.

Also, will I need to regear the Jeep? Does anyone have this setup? Im hoping that I will not have to regear.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Granite Guru

You would need spacers for your wheels. I ran 34" tires on factory wheels with 1.5" spacers and no lift.

My tires didn't rub unless I hit a bump or dip and then I hit the factory flares.

They did not rub when turned to full lock.

I see many folks running the 2.5 puck lift with 35s and spacers and have no issues mentioned.
post #3 of 27 Old 01-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Rock God

By spacers you mena coil spacers or wheel spacers? I run both stock 17" wheels with 35's and then another set of 35's (with a better offset) without any issues and no lift. The only rubbing I had was on the Sway Bar at ful turn. If you add a coil spacer lift you may be in better shape.

Off-road, without coil spacers on 35's the tires rubbed on the stock flares (uncut) at flex,what is expected.

I think if you go with coil spacers and wheels spacers you should not have any issues. A better option is to get wheel with the right offset from the get go and not have to deal with wheel spacers.

Good luck.

Gui

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 01-12-2016, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the response. I was thinking 2.5" cool spacers. I wanted to maybe add 35s with 20" wheels would that be possible without wheel spacers too? I didn't even consider that part of it.

Also, I'm assuming I would be fine without re gearing ?
post #5 of 27 Old 01-14-2016, 04:17 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanman08 View Post
Thanks for the response. I was thinking 2.5" cool spacers. I wanted to maybe add 35s with 20" wheels would that be possible without wheel spacers too? I didn't even consider that part of it.

I used to run that setup. You will need either wheel spacers or 17x9 wheels. I never ran into any rubbing. You won't need to regear but your MPG will suffer by about 3-4 MPGs. In my 2010 JKU I went from around 18 to 12. I added a superchips and at the 93 octane tune I'm getting about 16mpg now average.
post #6 of 27 Old 01-14-2016, 04:29 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:

It depends on the 20's and what type of backspacing they have. You want to aim for 4.5 inches of backspacing (or less) on a JK. That said, for a 35 inch tire I would run a 17 inch wheel if you want to head off road. If you are planning to roll around town though ... go nuts on the wheel size and have fun with the Jeep!

Last edited by Nomad_K; 01-14-2016 at 04:33 AM.
post #7 of 27 Old 01-14-2016, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanks guys- yeah im looking for just around town mostly. Where do most of you order your wheels from? I guess ill be in the market for new weels with 4/5 backspacing so I dont have to buy wheel spacers
post #8 of 27 Old 01-15-2016, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I found a set of 35's with 20x9 wheels. Would these work on my set up with a 2.5" coil spacer lift?
post #9 of 27 Old 01-15-2016, 08:17 AM
Rock God

When I hear 20" wheels it makes me want to barf lol. JK will this be a street driven Jeep only?

post #10 of 27 Old 01-15-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
When I hear 20" wheels it makes me want to barf lol. JK will this be a street driven Jeep only?
haha why do you say that? mostly street driven
post #11 of 27 Old 01-15-2016, 09:15 AM
Rock God

lol makes me think of this:

Edit lol looks like this jeep does see dirt though

Last edited by geberhard; 01-15-2016 at 03:38 PM.
post #12 of 27 Old 01-15-2016, 09:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiejku10 View Post
I used to run that setup. You will need either wheel spacers or 17x9 wheels. I never ran into any rubbing. You won't need to regear but your MPG will suffer by about 3-4 MPGs. In my 2010 JKU I went from around 18 to 12. I added a superchips and at the 93 octane tune I'm getting about 16mpg now average.
Incorrect. OP states he has a 2013, which means he has the 3.6L Pentastar. Don't know whether or not he has the manual or automatic trans, but either way it will handle 35's without a regear no problem. He might lose 1-2 mpg, at most, but that is expected when going to a larger tire.

OP...No, you won't need a regear for 35's. Will it help? Yeah, it'll help acceleration a bit, but I wouldn't bother until you're ready to start taking it off-road, as that's where a regear is going to shine.

Along those lines, yes, you can fit 35's with 20" wheels on a 2.5" puck lift (coil spacers) without any issue. People do it all the time. Shouldn't notice any scrubbing as long as you either put wheel spacers on or get wheels with at least 4.5" backspacing.

If you're building a mall crawler, then 20" wheels are at least acceptable, but most people will tell you not to go any larger than 18's on a Jeep (or any other 4x4 for that matter) because they're not really suited for off-road use. And of course if you go with 20" Rockstars you'll never hear the end of it!

Your Jeep, your priorities, but yeah, you'll be fine with a 2.5" puck lift and 35s as long as you have the proper backspacing on your wheels. I run 37's on a 2.5" coil lift without issue.

Choose your friends & choose your enemies. But choose wisely.
post #13 of 27 Old 01-15-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Incorrect. OP states he has a 2013, which means he has the 3.6L Pentastar. Don't know whether or not he has the manual or automatic trans, but either way it will handle 35's without a regear no problem. He might lose 1-2 mpg, at most, but that is expected when going to a larger tire.

OP...No, you won't need a regear for 35's. Will it help? Yeah, it'll help acceleration a bit, but I wouldn't bother until you're ready to start taking it off-road, as that's where a regear is going to shine.

Along those lines, yes, you can fit 35's with 20" wheels on a 2.5" puck lift (coil spacers) without any issue. People do it all the time. Shouldn't notice any scrubbing as long as you either put wheel spacers on or get wheels with at least 4.5" backspacing.

If you're building a mall crawler, then 20" wheels are at least acceptable, but most people will tell you not to go any larger than 18's on a Jeep (or any other 4x4 for that matter) because they're not really suited for off-road use. And of course if you go with 20" Rockstars you'll never hear the end of it!

Your Jeep, your priorities, but yeah, you'll be fine with a 2.5" puck lift and 35s as long as you have the proper backspacing on your wheels. I run 37's on a 2.5" coil lift without issue.
Thanks for the info! Do I need to look for wheels with 4.5" backspacing and greater?
post #14 of 27 Old 01-16-2016, 03:11 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post
Quote:

My neighbor has a 2014 4 door and running 35's without the chip he is getting around 15.5 mpg. Remember they put 3:21 gears in them. I'd got to a 4:10 which would be a better gear for running 35's. I was stating what I was getting with mine, but you will see more than a 1-2 mpg difference that is a incorrect statement. My neighbor was getting around 18 before the 35s.
post #15 of 27 Old 01-16-2016, 03:15 PM
Wheeler

Also I never said you would need to regear, but I would suggest a larger transmission cooler if you go to larger tires, it will heat your transmission more and cause it to run harder. Just a suggestion, I know I did on mine and it made a difference. My buddy also added the cooler to his 2014.
post #16 of 27 Old 01-19-2016, 12:12 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
My neighbor has a 2014 4 door and running 35's without the chip he is getting around 15.5 mpg. Remember they put 3:21 gears in them. I'd got to a 4:10 which would be a better gear for running 35's. I was stating what I was getting with mine, but you will see more than a 1-2 mpg difference that is a incorrect statement. My neighbor was getting around 18 before the 35s.
My point was the fact that you were comparing two completely different setups. The 3.8L and 4spd auto does not compare at all to the 3.6L and 5spd auto. Many people have made the transition to 35's on a 2012+ model and not suffered a 3-4 mpg loss in fuel economy simply because the motor is not anemic like the 3.8L minivan mill and the extra gear in the trans helps keep rpms in the proper range better. Most 2011 and older models, aside from the Rubicon, came stock with 3.21 gears as well, unless ordered with either 3.73's or 4.10's, which came stock in the Rubicon.

So again, you're not exactly comparing apples to apples, so stating that the OP would see a 3-4 mpg drop in fuel economy isn't accurate. The 3.6L engine handles larger tires much better than the 3.8L...bottom line.

OP....yes, either wheels with a 4.5" or greater backspacing if you're getting new wheels. Otherwise, spacers (maybe 1.5" IIRC) should do the trick.

Last edited by ShortBus; 01-19-2016 at 12:15 PM.
post #17 of 27 Old 01-19-2016, 12:30 PM
Granite Guru

my $0.02

you can survive without a regear, but it won't be as driveable especially in the mountains. alot of this depends on what gearing you currently have in your jeep. i believe jeeps with stock tow packages usually came with higher numerical gearing, which would be more suitable to larger tires. if you are going to regear, 4.56 is a good starting point for 35's.

you will need some sort of programmer (flashcal, flashpaq, etc) to get your speedometer to read correctly with larger tires. if you have an automatic transmission, you will need the programmer to adjust your shift points

you can probably get by with 35's on stock backspacing if you're only driving on the road, but since you are buying new wheels anyway, i recommend backspacing of 4.75 or less (less meaning a lower number backspacing, 4.5/4.0, etc). since you are on the road only, aside from rubbing against the frame and suspension components, the proper backspacing will get the right "look" of how far your tires stick out from the fenders. the lower the # of your backspacing, the farther it will stick out. to give you a frame of reference, stock JK backspacing is 6.25". so 4.75" backspacing will push your wheels out 1.5" further than stock.

if you only plan to drive on the street, a small puck (spacer) lift and 20" wheels will be fine. if you plan to offroad, i'd recommend looking into lift kits with longer springs and shocks rather than just puck spacers and shock extenders. for offroad, i'd also recommend a smaller rim. 17" looks nice with 35's and gives you a lot more (and cheaper) 35" tire options.

Last edited by boopiejones; 01-19-2016 at 12:35 PM.
post #18 of 27 Old 01-25-2016, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks for the help guys! Still looking around a bit. What about a set of 37x18s with a 2.5 lift? Any issues with that?
post #19 of 27 Old 01-26-2016, 08:07 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys! Still looking around a bit. What about a set of 37x18s with a 2.5 lift? Any issues with that?
As long as you have the proper backspacing and either cut your stock flares or install a set of flats, like Poison Spyder, GenRight, Metal Cloak, etc. you'll be fine. Just make sure you add bumpstop accordingly to keep the tires out of the tub seams.

post #20 of 27 Old 01-26-2016, 09:48 AM
Wheeler

I have a 2013 JKU and put a 2" budget boost on the front and 1" on the back on 35's with 17" rims. I was going to use the stock rims so I did buy 1.5" wheel spacers but I ended up getting after market rims but still decided to use the wheel spacers anyways cause I liked the look of the wide stance it gave my jeep with the back spacing on the wheels. I did have some rubbing on the fenders and front bumper so I cut the front bumper down to a stubby bumper and did the flares as well. My jeep has 3.21 gears in it and I have not done a regear yet and even tho I did lose some power and went from getting about 18 mpg down to about 12 mpg it is not unbearable for me as its not my everyday driver and I do not off-road it that hard yet. I am pretty happy with the set up for now but I do plan on upgrading to a suspension lift in the future and do a regear as well but its a good starter set up.
post #21 of 27 Old 01-26-2016, 03:41 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
37's is when you really start getting into tire rub problems and potentially breaking things as well.

2.5 is a minimum lift for 37's and will require some work to get the right clearance. depending on the bumper, you may need to cut it down so you don't rub at full lock. you will need to cut the fenders or replace with flat fenders.

you'll probably want to add C gussets and be prepared to replace ball joints sooner than later, as those are two notoriously weak points on the front axle.
post #22 of 27 Old 01-26-2016, 04:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post

Barf, really? I'm running 20" wheels and Ford Superduty axels with 40's, 17" wheels don't even come close to fitting over my brakes! And yes, it gets wheeled!
Attached Images

post #23 of 27 Old 01-26-2016, 04:29 PM
Rock God

Diesel Jeep, you have a killer setup! My comment was around 20" wheels on 35's (regarding the OP's post) which is a whole different type of animal.

post #24 of 27 Old 01-27-2016, 07:54 PM
Granite Guru

Gerberhard,

Thanks, I originally bought 17" Hutchinson dual bead locks, advertised to fit my Ford axels, but they didn't. So I spent even more money and bought Raceline Liberator single bead locks! Man I wanted the Hutchinson's!

Anyway, if the dude wants 20 or 22" chrome mall crawlers, so be it, that's what he likes. While you and I wouldn't go that route, he likes it. I'm sure plenty of folks that see my Jeep don't like it. I do, and that's all that matters, right.

The only heart burn I have with people "building" some of these Jeeps is the fact that they don't have enough brake to safely operate on the highways, especially when you see them cruising down the highway at 80 mph. I don't daily drive mine, and would not want to!
post #25 of 27 Old 01-27-2016, 09:31 PM
Rock God

Diesel thanks and definitely agreed. That is one of the biggest gripes I have with the larger wheels, specially if the rest of the equation gets off balance. I remember researching and previous discussions as we build more protouring type of hot rods and muscle cars, and some guys lacking the consideration of bigger wheels and tires on their stopping power (i.e. going from a 13-14" diameter narrow aspect to 18" wheels wide aspect).

One of the biggest points you made that a lot of people going with higher diameter wheels without consideration on braking power impact. Although most Jks come with 17-18" wheels, going to larger size tires and bigger wheels alone will have a direct impact on the braking power. Not to get too technical, an easy way to picture is a imaginary line or radius from the center of the wheel to the ground. If that increases to twice as long the braking power decreases by about half of the power to stop the Jeep so the whole braking system needs to be recalibrated. This is very easy to notice as soon as you through in 35" and larger tires on a stock brake system.

Good info on the Hutchinson as I am planning SD axles for my swap and started looking at wheel options. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode