Daughter wants a new Jeep - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 01-09-2016, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Daughter wants a new Jeep

What Jeep would you suggest for avid campers? They use a tent not an RV and camp in some "off the beaten" track places. I suggested a Wrangler since it's just the two of them and some of the roads up to their sites are pretty crappy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-09-2016, 08:39 AM
Granite Guru

I think we're all a bit biased on this site, but I honestly think a wrangler is their best bet. The rear compartment in the 2 door is very small, so if they ever plan on having more than two people camping, they might want to consider the wrangler unlimited.

Another benefit of the unlimited is that if the weather gets really bad and your tent gets soaked, you can fold the rear seats down and there is a decent amount of room to sleep.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-09-2016, 09:07 AM
Rock God

A younger driver in a Jeep ?

Are you going to pay for her insurance ?

I am making an assumption based on your age , she can't be very old unless you were a child when you fathered her , but her insurance would and should be a consideration .

Insurance costs on a Wrangler are high , mine are higher than my newer F-250 Ford SuperDuty . And my driving record is real clean .

Look into this before you decide this may be a deal breaker .

You may want to look at other alternatives .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-09-2016, 10:21 AM
Rock God

Garage

I agree with the above poster that said they might want to check into a 4 door for the very reasons he suggested.

As far as insurance, my insurance is about 70/month for 100/300/100 and covered with ever option. Why, I live in Vegas and people here can't drive normally without distractions from the cell phone or drinking.

Insurance cost is also taken into what coverage you opt in for, where you live, your credit score and employment/employer. (EDIT: Also get multiple quotes from different companies. It was amazing the cost difference between companies for the exact same insurance).

I do agree verifying what the insurance would cost, but don't be too swayed on UN's opinion. If he thinks a jeep is high cost, he should own an LS1 Camaro/Trans Am in his 20's.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #5 of 12 Old 01-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Rock God

My insurance on my JK is also higher than my 600 SL .

Same year model , and I do agree it has a lot to do with where your located and your credit rating among many other factors , but for a driver under the age of 26-28 years a JK is and will in many areas be dollar prohibitive .

That said , if daddy is paying and money is no object OK .
post #6 of 12 Old 01-09-2016, 03:29 PM
JKowners Vendor

4 door and remove the back seat..tons of room for camping gear.

Dealer for: MoTech, Atlas, Dynatrac, Rock Krawler, ORO, Currie, Poison Spyder, Bilstein, Fox, SWAY-A-WAY, Ridid, Adams and Tom Woods DS's. And much more!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-09-2016, 04:55 PM
Rock God

Garage
Post Shop around

I have GEICO Insurance and I'm not paying anymore for the jeep than for my wife's Toyota.

Shop around you may find that it's not that bad.

I'd also go with the 4 door. SO MUCH MORE ROOM!

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-10-2016, 04:32 AM
DaK
Rock God

JKU rubicon. Probably some nicely used unmodified mall crawling pavement princess out there.

Little to no mods required. Take the back seat out, plenty of room. Know one couple that actually sleep in theirs. He is 6' and she is 5'9" with no problems. Even has mood lighting and mosquito netting installed.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-10-2016, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

The car will be in my name and under my insurance. She'll be paying me back, monthly. I like the Wrangler too and I think she'll probably go for the two door. We'll be going next weekend to look and test drive, so we'll see what she thinks of it.
post #10 of 12 Old 01-11-2016, 07:27 AM
Wheeler

You cannot go wrong with a Wrangler, especially if you know that it will actually be seeing dirt.

With that being said, as an owner of a 2 door, I highly recommend considering the 4 door if they are going to be camping a lot. As the above posters mentioned, the 4 door has waaaaay more room. In order for the 2 door to have usable space, the rear seat has to go. If they won't ever sleep in it, then a 2 door with the rear seat removed is not a bad thing. But, having that option and growing room is always a GREAT thing for your investment.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-11-2016, 07:56 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by un lupus View Post
My insurance on my JK is also higher than my 600 SL .

Same year model , and I do agree it has a lot to do with where your located and your credit rating among many other factors , but for a driver under the age of 26-28 years a JK is and will in many areas be dollar prohibitive .

That said , if daddy is paying and money is no object OK .
You really need to shop around for better insurance. I pay $500 a year have 100/300/100 coverage with a $500 deductible. Also I street park right outside of DC and I'm 28. The most I ever paid was when I had tickets on my record until I was 25 and it was around $100 a month.

I have Erie Insurance which may only be available in the north east but its great and super cheap. Only downside to them is if I get a ticket or have an accident I will most likely get dropped.

2011 JKU Rubicon
PSC Evap Skid
PSC Diff Covers
Dynomax Rock Crawler exhaust
ACE Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex W/ Bilstein 5100's
35" Nitto Trail Grappler's
post #12 of 12 Old 01-11-2016, 10:53 AM
Rock God

Will she need 4x4? What is the budget? Is any wheeling in mind aty all or mainly camping? Is the car oing to be used as a daily driver? I love Jeeps, but if the plan is to daily drive, there are better options that can get you to non hardcore campsites and are way better daily driver and more economic, safer and cheaper. Just saying.

For my daughter, I would look instead on a used Cherokee, or Grand Cherokee as a first car, a lot of room for camping gear, plus will get you to most places. If a lot of street driving, a smaller Subaru or SUV that has 4x4 would be the ticket

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode