Next JK project, salvage vs new, WWJKO do? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Next JK project, salvage vs new, WWJKO do?

Boys and girls,

Appreciate the input as I am trying to make a decision on my next JK. I am debating between a new off the lot or a used 2012 JK. Hear me out and appreciate input.

I was able to find a new 4 door JK 2016 base 4x4 for about $25K plus tax etc, so lets say about $28K. Yes, it would be great to get a Virgin zero mileage Jeep, however it will it directly my planned budget for the build. (plan is one tons long arms, etc, and I am factoring in under $10K doing the work myself and using some parts I already have, including wheels and tires, etc)

I came across a pretty clean salvage 2012 60K miles auto JK 4 door Sahara 4x4 loaded with options for about $15,500K. It had a light front impact, no damage to the frame, but grille, bumper, front fenders are toasted. Airbags were deployed, what is not a biggie (I normally disable them anyway). It will give a good excuse to replace the fenders, bumper and can throw in an aftermarket grille or replace with a stock one.

As the Jeep will be wheeled and beat on anyways I am leaning towards salvage...decisions decisions?

Appreciate the input and suggestions,

Thanks!

Gui

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 09:22 AM
Rock God

If I had the cash for the salvage one I would probably go that route.

'11 JKUR, 3" Full-Traction w/5100's, 37x17 Trail Graps on Slabs, 10 Fact Axles, Adams front DS, TF44 front, PSC Hydro Assist. Home made sliders, bumpers, tire carrier. Warn XD9000i w/Smitty Synth line.
post #3 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 09:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Do you ever plan on selling it? If yes, resale value is going to be hurt quite a bit with the salvage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks guys, yep still debating. The 2012 for $15K is tempting; I wish I could find a 12 and up clean for under $20K locally but no luck. Kinda crazy as I can find 15-16 at dealerships for $24-25K, so was hoping to come across a decent deal.

Thanks!

post #5 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

If you don't buy the salvage JKU send me the info.

My answer is in the response above. lol

post #6 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 09:39 AM
Rock God

That's a tough call.. I would probably look for a different salvage. The one you found is "loaded with options" but if it's a trail rig who needs 'em?

Given only those 2 choices I would be more likely to get the new one cause I could get a very low interest rate financing new and keep my cash in hand to build it. I don't feel the $10k savings on the salvage jeep is worth the hassle of fixing it and dealing with a salvage title.

For me to go salvage route I would want to be into it closer to $10k and not $15k. What does a non salvage 2012 similarly optioned go for?

Last edited by Biginboca; 01-05-2016 at 09:42 AM.
post #7 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
If you don't buy the salvage JKU send me the info. My answer is in the response above. lol
Thanks! hehe I am definitely debating but will keep you posted.

I am seeing non salvage 2012 JKU's with similar mileage for about $25K (kinda crazy as I found a new 16 at the dealer for $25K plus tax ) A sahara JKU 12 and up is going in the $27K range.

Thanks for the input guys

post #8 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 10:01 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
Thanks! hehe I am definitely debating but will keep you posted.

I am seeing non salvage 2012 JKU's with similar mileage for about $25K (kinda crazy as I found a new 16 at the dealer for $25K plus tax ) A sahara JKU 12 and up is going in the $27K range.

Thanks for the input guys
What part of the country are you in?

After reading what you said again, I'd probably have to buy a new JKU for $25K if it was real and not a bait and switch. That seems like a very aggressive price compared to what I've been seeing. My wife wants a JKU and I wouldn't mind having a street friendly Jeep again so we've been poking around.

post #9 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

No prob, just sent you the quote detail and teh Jeep is a new 2016 4 door JK silver 4x4 in redwood City - California. I sent you his contact info as well great guy.

Gui

post #10 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 10:13 AM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by geberhard View Post
No prob, just sent you the quote detail and teh Jeep is a new 2016 4 door JK silver 4x4 in redwood City - California. I sent you his contact info as well great guy.

Gui
Right on! Thanks brother!

post #11 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 10:45 AM
Granite Guru

If it's going to be a dedicated trail rig, it doesn't matter.

If you plan on driving it much on the road (may have to fix stuff you could otherwise leave alone or remove outright) or ever selling it, you may want to avoid the salvage complications.

80% of the value of the vehicle (in damage) is usually required to merit salvage by underwriters. Just sayin.

Dustin Tarditi
Haddonfield, NJ
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
post #12 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

RCO, no problem and hope you can get the new JK, that is the lowest national price I found and it is in my backyard

Dustin, good points, it woudl be a bit of both, minor daily driving and trail rig. Right now my dilemma is I have a one ton TJ that is "street legalish" kinda, and a one ton lifted truck and a trailer. The goal would be to have an all in one rig that coudl be used for the trail and daily driven whenever. The space on a 4 door JK is the main selling point as it will allow the family to fit perfectly.

I have just come across a JK 4 door tub for a couple grand...hmmmm could always frankestein a JK 4 door tub on my Tj......

post #13 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 11:11 AM
Rock God

Knowing what I know now, I'd get a gutted, rolling chassis, toss all the electrics, and go from there...
A burn victim might be just the ticket.
post #14 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Fred thanks, yep, that is something I am debating. I just found a JK 4 door tub, may end up going Frankenstein and Frankenstein my TJ into it... soudns tempting if I can get it here for under $2k it is definitely tempting

post #15 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
That's a tough call.. I would probably look for a different salvage. The one you found is "loaded with options" but if it's a trail rig who needs 'em?

Given only those 2 choices I would be more likely to get the new one cause I could get a very low interest rate financing new and keep my cash in hand to build it. I don't feel the $10k savings on the salvage jeep is worth the hassle of fixing it and dealing with a salvage title.

For me to go salvage route I would want to be into it closer to $10k and not $15k. What does a non salvage 2012 similarly optioned go for?
agree with this 100%
post #16 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 04:18 PM
Granite Guru

My initial thought when I hear the word "salvage"

Significantly reduced resale value & Increased insurance difficulties (inc. cost)

(at least in my neck of the woods, based on my personal experience) "Big Insurance" would rather not insure salvaged vehicles of any kind, period.

May (probably will) be different in other areas of the country....
post #17 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Rock God

Go with the new one

2010 JK Rubicon- meh 2dr sold
2012 JKU Rubicon- bored sold
2015 JKU Rubicon- 3rd times a charm?
post #18 of 28 Old 01-05-2016, 07:45 PM
Wheeler

I recently got a salvaged JKUR back on the road. 14' Rubicon 6spd with just under 7K miles with front end damage. (lockers and sway bar disco are all that sets it apart from a sport with PW & locks) Replaced everything forward of the motor, passenger fender, and windshield. I'm all in for under $30K, includes paint and frame work, a Metalcloak Game-Changer lift (Rocksport shocks), Metalcloak front bumper, and 5, 35" MT/R-K's. I could have spent less on parts, went "mopar" as much as possible. Except for the windshield, they want an extra $200 to put the jeep in the lower passenger corner and grill above the mirror!

Is it perfect? No....from all but straight on it's an 8 or 9. I've got a 1/2"-3/4" gap between the driver side fender and the grill that I'm trying not to let bother me. It's everything I wanted and then some: 3.6, manual, 4:10's, lockers, not beat to crap (other than the accident), looks almost brand new inside and out, able to build it to run around town when its nice and wheel it when I'm able to get away. All without trashing a $36K+ vehicle before goodies. Does the salvage history hurt my resale, yes. Not planning on selling it anytime soon... For my first Jeep, I feel like I came out ahead.
post #19 of 28 Old 01-07-2016, 10:49 AM
Granite Guru

Garage
New vs. salvage

There's a local guy who repairs and sells cars with salvage titles. After the complete repair (looking as-new), his sell price is 66% of KBB.

Although, a friend who buys his cars from ths shop said that he recently asked, and was told that Wranglers are virtually impossible to get.

Just though I'd toss that out there, as a rule-of-thumb from these parts.
post #20 of 28 Old 01-07-2016, 10:50 AM
Wheeler

Salvage one get's my Vote
post #21 of 28 Old 01-07-2016, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks guys, I am still on thehunt. I found a couple local ready to go rigs (pre 2012), and bid on a few salvage ones early this week. I came across a couple local deasl yesterday (008 JK 140K miles for $11,500), but just sold, and another 09 JK bad engine is on its way out for $13K. I also bid but ended up misisng on a 12 JK that sold loclaly (salvage) for $8500 (needed a lot of body love...)

I am really thinking if the 12 is worth it as I keep on reading about issues on the first pent star 3.6 and need to rebuild heads, or full engine replacemente ugh. That is the only thing that was attracting me to a 12 and up. I am thinking I may be better off getting a earlier JK with a bad engine or high mileage and plan on a LS swap and be done

JJS do you have the contact of you local friend that does the salvage Jeeps?

Thanks guys and appreciate all the help!

Gui

post #22 of 28 Old 01-07-2016, 09:10 PM
Wheeler

Talking

I had the same decision to make a few months back and I went with the new one. Bone stock and the Auto was the only option. I paid about what you are quoting. Pretty cheap considering it's a brand new Jeep and I can sell off everything I'm stripping off it.

By the way...it's SOOO nice working on a new frame
post #23 of 28 Old 01-07-2016, 10:47 PM
Wheeler

If it's going to be a pure trailer Jeep that's gonna get beat on the trails I would go with the salvage one. Keep in mind if you plan on selling it in the future you will take a hit.
post #24 of 28 Old 01-08-2016, 02:14 AM
Wheeler

I'd go for a new one.
post #25 of 28 Old 01-08-2016, 09:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks guys, yep am pretty torn. I am trying to keep my overall budget for the rig under $30K for a one ton, daily driver and wheeler. The plan is to have a one rig does all, get rid oof my trail Jeep, my truck and trailer. The new of the lot rig will end up in the $27K range all said and done. I am having a hard time justifying with myself and the wife over $30K on a rig that will get tough love repeatedly

I found a few pre 2012 Rubi Jk's in the $17-20K range so am slightly tempted. one Rubi has a lot of upgrades, 5.13's chromos, and 37's ready to wheel. Argh decisions decisions

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode