Post-Rubicon issues? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Post-Rubicon issues?

I had no idea what to name this thread...

I currently have a 2008 JKU Rubicon that I've owned for about two and a half years and have been slowly modding. I have never been happy with the 3.8's performance. Even with a 6 speed, 5.13 gears, and a Superchips tune, I find it gutless. I am thinking pretty strongly about getting a 2012+ for both the 3.6 and the 5 speed auto. A newer Rubicon is just stupid expensive so I've been thinking about finding a Sport or Sahara ( for as little as possible of course) and swapping my axles over. I don't believe my tcase will mate to the wa580, but I would likely swap it to one of my buddies for their 231 and cash.

My question is this: Will my 08 Rubicon do anything funky other than throw some dash lights with sport axles and tcase underneath it? I'm thinking more along the lines a limp mode or something within the programming. I would obviously look to sell the 08 after swapping everything over, but wouldn't want to sell a complete headache to someone.

Also, I assume it would be fairly easy to wire up the Rubi lockers with something like a spod? Yeah, I know there is likely a thread on this already, but the search function doesn't work on my tablet, so please, humour me.

08 JKUR

Just an asshole with a Jeep....

Rancho+AEV+Rubicon Express+Rock Krawler+Synergy+Warn,+Rough Country+Cobra+Banks+Magnaflow+Superchips+Bestop+Po ison Spyder+EVO+G2+Mopar+Yukon+WTO+Level 8+Coopers+garage wontons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 05:48 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by B have bacon View Post
I had no idea what to name this thread...

I currently have a 2008 JKU Rubicon that I've owned for about two and a half years and have been slowly modding. I have never been happy with the 3.8's performance. Even with a 6 speed, 5.13 gears, and a Superchips tune, I find it gutless. I am thinking pretty strongly about getting a 2012+ for both the 3.6 and the 5 speed auto. A newer Rubicon is just stupid expensive so I've been thinking about finding a Sport or Sahara ( for as little as possible of course) and swapping my axles over. I don't believe my tcase will mate to the wa580, but I would likely swap it to one of my buddies for their 231 and cash.

My question is this: Will my 08 Rubicon do anything funky other than throw some dash lights with sport axles and tcase underneath it? I'm thinking more along the lines a limp mode or something within the programming. I would obviously look to sell the 08 after swapping everything over, but wouldn't want to sell a complete headache to someone.

Also, I assume it would be fairly easy to wire up the Rubi lockers with something like a spod? Yeah, I know there is likely a thread on this already, but the search function doesn't work on my tablet, so please, humour me.
I know with the AEV programmer I was able to shut the swaybar light off on my 2012(I got rid of the factory disco) and I can shut off the tpms. It also allows me to program tire size and gear ratio. Other than that I dunno what problems it would cause?
Maybe unplug the lockers and see if it throws a light?

I would be tempted to get top dollar for your Rubicon as is and find a 2012+ non Rubicon that someone else already regeared, locked, etc... Since no one gets their money back on all of that. The trick is to find one that was done up but not abused.

Shortly after buying my practically loaded 2012 Rubicon I wished I would have bought a stripped one and some one tons...
post #3 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I know it will throw a light, that is not the issue. I'm wondering about more severe side effects like the CANBUS throwing a fit and randomly turning off the HVAC, or any other random system because it does not sense a certain circuit functioning properly. I currently have a Flashpaq that allows me to do many things, but turning off the dash lights isn't one of them. When I installed my Evo No Limits Sway bar knob, I simply took the dash apart and removed the bulb for the sway bar. I would likely do the same for the locker lights.

I appreciate the thought on selling mine for top dollar, but that just isn't possible. My JK has a rebuilt title from a rear end collision before I got it. As such, it's worth much less. I also have time and money already tied up in my current axles: gears, truss, gussets, ball joints, hydro steer, Bombshells, Spicer joints. Plus, I do not want to down grade to a D30 up front as I plan to run 37s. Tons are great and all, but they are just not in the cards for me in the foreseeable future. So, for these reasons (and a couple more), I am leaning more towards swapping all my stuff over to a Sport or Sahara, then selling mine with the Sport or Sahara stuff. Either way, I figure mine will be worth approximately the same amount on resale.

08 JKUR

Rancho+AEV+Rubicon Express+Rock Krawler+Synergy+Warn,+Rough Country+Cobra+Banks+Magnaflow+Superchips+Bestop+Po ison Spyder+EVO+G2+Mopar+Yukon+WTO+Level 8+Coopers+garage wontons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 06:41 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
I know it will throw a light, that is not the issue. I'm wondering about more severe side effects like the CANBUS throwing a fit and randomly turning off the HVAC, or any other random system because it does not sense a certain circuit functioning properly. I currently have a Flashpaq that allows me to do many things, but turning off the dash lights isn't one of them. When I installed my Evo No Limits Sway bar knob, I simply took the dash apart and removed the bulb for the sway bar. I would likely do the same for the locker lights.

I appreciate the thought on selling mine for top dollar, but that just isn't possible. My JK has a rebuilt title from a rear end collision before I got it. As such, it's worth much less. I also have time and money already tied up in my current axles: gears, truss, gussets, ball joints, hydro steer, Bombshells, Spicer joints. Plus, I do not want to down grade to a D30 up front as I plan to run 37s. Tons are great and all, but they are just not in the cards for me in the foreseeable future. So, for these reasons (and a couple more), I am leaning more towards swapping all my stuff over to a Sport or Sahara, then selling mine with the Sport or Sahara stuff. Either way, I figure mine will be worth approximately the same amount on resale.
That makes sense!
...and now that you mention it I think my hvac does random stuff. I will have to pay more attention to it.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 09:05 AM
Rock God

The money lost on neutering and selling your 08 Rubi might be more than the cost of swapping in an LS or Hemi, assuming you could do the labor yourself.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 09:23 AM
Granite Guru

The system doesn't care if the locker wires are unplugged and tucked away. I just put UD60s into my 08 rubicon and there are no issues with the disconnected wires.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- offroad inspired decals for your jeep
--
2008 Unlimited Rubicon - Silver (Locked and Loaded)
2014 Unlimited Sport - Billet Silver (Mall Crawler)
post #7 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 10:03 AM
Granite Guru

I'm pretty sure you can sell your Rubicon with the 2012 Sport axles for almost the same price as a real Rubicon.

I bet that 90% of Rubicon buyers never locked their diffs or disconnected the swaybar.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-01-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I really dont think i would lose that much. I got my rubi cheap cuz of the rebuilt title, and would look for another rebuild, just a 2012+ this time. I would LOVE a V8 tho, and I've had the thought many times I kust think realistically, it isn't gonna happen
post #9 of 13 Old 01-01-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixeldzn View Post
The system doesn't care if the locker wires are unplugged and tucked away. I just put UD60s into my 08 rubicon and there are no issues with the disconnected wires.
Thank you.
post #10 of 13 Old 01-01-2016, 09:48 PM
Granite Guru

Depending on how many miles are on your Rubi axles, you might be better off just throwing in a locker in the rear of the +12' Sport/X axle and going with a ProRock D44 or Tera44 up front.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-02-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I should mention that I live in Canada, which means that most parts cost me 30-45% more than you lucky bastards in 'Merica.

08 JKUR

post #12 of 13 Old 01-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

You might have more generous emissions laws and access to a Cummins diesel for a swap out. What a rig that would be..
post #13 of 13 Old 01-03-2016, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
You might have more generous emissions laws and access to a Cummins diesel for a swap out. What a rig that would be..

Mehh, too big and heavy. A 3.0 turbo diesel however....

08 JKUR

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode