wheeling with a spare tire - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JK Vick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

wheeling with a spare tire

I finally got around to getting a spare tire put on my jeep with the use of a crawler conceptz body mounted carrier, and the first time out I ripped the tire off the carrier on a steep climb. actually more of a trench that we crossed. I have crossed this same obstacle 15-20 times and never thought about it being a problem with the carrier on. so now that I got it fixed (Thanks to Shad at Crawler Conceptz for the great service)I am worried as hell about hitting it again and doing the same thing. so my question is what do yall do with your spares? leave it on and avoid obstacles that would cause it to hit? leave it at home? take it off and leave it in the back of the jeep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

This was the same place that I hit it on, little did I realize this spot was steep enough that it drags the bumper also, so I know I shouldn't have tried it with the carrier but I don't want to limit my wheeling because of my spare. Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1451520692.939847.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  66.1 KB

I have the tire mounted as high as it can go on the carrier with out drilling new holes.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 05:08 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Stays flat in the cargo area, or angled or upright in the rear depending on how I'm carrying my gear.

with a 4 door you cant afford to have the length of a spare hanging off the back. Has been in the cab since the day I got the Jeep.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 05:21 PM
Granite Guru

I run a drop hitch upside-down in the receiver. It carries the weight of the tire (taking the weight off the stock hinges and eliminating the rattle) and protects the tire against exactly what you described.

08 JKUR

Just an asshole with a Jeep....

Rancho+AEV+Rubicon Express+Rock Krawler+Synergy+Warn,+Rough Country+Cobra+Banks+Magnaflow+Superchips+Bestop+Po ison Spyder+EVO+G2+Mopar+Yukon+WTO+Level 8+Coopers+garage wontons
post #5 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
Stays flat in the cargo area, or angled or upright in the rear depending on how I'm carrying my gear.

with a 4 door you cant afford to have the length of a spare hanging off the back. Has been in the cab since the day I got the Jeep.
^X2 in the biggest way. I had rubbed carrying a 35" spare on an MBRP el cheapo raised bracket-mounted STT before so once I went to 37" , the full size 5th one's deflated and lashed down flat if entire backseat is flat or I can just get it in a nearly vertical ,jimmied position ,lashed to the sports bar and under seat brackets w/ ratchet straps using the "60" part laid-down on the 4 door 40/60 split

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 05:55 PM
Rock God

I made a stinger out of 2" x1/4 square tube. Its held up the whole ass end of the Jeep a couple times.
Attached Images

post #7 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 06:08 PM
VKS Fab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post

This. I built a a table that pivots on 1/2" rod ends to keep the spare held down and to put my gear/fridge on. A 40" tire fits perfectly in the back of a 4 door.
Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1451527646.459099.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  47.1 KB
SmilinAssassins likes this.

Handmade One At A Time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
post #8 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 06:18 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Vick View Post
This. I built a a table that pivots on 1/2" rod ends to keep the spare held down and to put my gear/fridge on. A 40" tire fits perfectly in the back of a 4 door.
Attachment 247978
Literally JUST had a phone conversation about making something like this for my 2 door that latches into the rear seat brackets for ease of removal if I want to put the back seat back in.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 06:21 PM
Granite Guru

i run the MC rear bumper/tire carrier that has an angled plate that the bulk of the weight of the spare sits on. i like the design for several reasons and felt i have avoided what happened to you a few times:

i like the idea of throwing the spare in the cab, but space is so crucial and my wheeling trips often involve camping. i dunno, if i had to do it all over again i may consider it, but i haven't ripped my spare off yet so until then, off i go.

2013 JKUR Billet Silver ->
[JKUR - 6 Speed][3.5" MC ARB Lift][40" Nitto Trail Grapplers on 17" TR Beadlocks][5.38s][Fusion 4x4 Kingpin 1 Tons][MC Front & Rear Bumpers][sPOD][Warn Zeon 10s][And more ...]

|
post #10 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnoxious1 View Post
I made a stinger out of 2" x1/4 square tube. Its held up the whole ass end of the Jeep a couple times.

I like it! Best idea I have seen so far lol
post #11 of 13 Old 12-30-2015, 09:56 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Also... air down your spare when wheeling. It will give you a little more leeway when dropping off ledges and climbing !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #12 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 06:50 AM
JKO Addict!

I have a piece of 2x2 square stock in my receiver that is the same length as my tire sticks out. Work great coming down stuff. Only time its an issue is if I am backing up on a steep incline but that can be probably be solved if you did something like Robnoxious1

post #13 of 13 Old 12-31-2015, 08:07 AM
Granite Guru

This was on my Jeep when I got it. I've used an upside down drop hitch to protect it and for a step to get to the rack that I removed and use 3 or 4 times a year.

I would like to take this off and use it 3 or 4 times a year also, for long multi day trips.
I tried to remove it recently and a had to pound the upper bolt out with a bfh. Never got the lower out because at the time the stock bumper was in the way.
Now that I have more access with this bumper I plan to remove it and put the spare inside.

This thread is giving me ideas...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode