Sound/Audio Question's - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 12-16-2015, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Sound/Audio Question's

I have a 2012 JKU Sport and recently connected an OEM Alpine Subwoofer (came out of a 2014 JKU Rubicon). Compared to other jobs I have done on my rig, this was an easy task.

The 12V has power, but the subwoofer is non-responsive. The dongle that connects to the Sub/12V has both speaker wires and 12V wires running into it. *I don't have the upgraded infinity audio package in my Jeep, therefore the radio face doesn't have the built in AMP. I pulled the dash off and radio out to confirm everything was connected and no loose ends.

Does anyone know how to make the Subwoofer turn on? Do I need to upgrade my radio face to one with the built in AMP? Or is there a way to add in an amp on my own and keep the existing radio face? Any advice is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-22-2016, 01:20 AM
Rock God

Garage

Hey there, I realize this is better than a month old now, but saw it as I was looking for some info. The fact that you're installing a 2014 subwoofer suggests to me that your JK did not come with the upgraded sound system. If that's true, then I'm not sure you'll have an amp at all, and you'll have to have one to run that sub. The amp is not built into the head unit, it is a separate module and the best I can tell, it will either be located behind the knee panel below the steering column, or above the steering column, depending on the year model of your JK. Whatever head unit you have should work with an amp from the same year/generation of upgraded sound system. I. e., if your JK was built during the years when the premium sound was Infinity, then an the amp for the Infinity system should be compatible with your head unit, and likewise with the Alpine systems. I'm not certain you can run the Alpine sub off the Infinity amp, though, so if your rig is one of the models during the Infinity generation, you may be out of luck on that Alpine sub unit. If you do go the factory amp route, then you may also need to have your dealer flash the computer for it because as I understand, the sound system is tied in with the canbus.

You might be money ahead, and would almost certainly be better off in the long run, to just go all aftermarket and forget the factory amp. There are discussion threads on JKO and people who know far more than me on this topic, so if you search you can probably get some good direction. If you wanted to keep the enclosure for the sub you have, it should be a simple matter to change out the sub itself to one that performs much better than the OEM one and reinstall it in that enclosure. Should be an 8", I believe. I know the Infinity is an 8", as that's what I have. Hope some of this helps.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-22-2016, 01:54 AM
Rock God

I will say for a fact the 2014 has it to the side of the stering column directely behind the drivers side speaker pod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode