ESC DISABLE and programmers. Please help!😀 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-13-2015, 05:23 AM Thread Starter

ESC DISABLE and programmers. Please help!😀

hi,
As you can see I'm new here. Lots of good info to read up on. What I am trying to learn is how to disable the Electronic nannies. I have a jku base sport with 6sp. I have searched around on this subject and found a few things.
The steering wheel procedure doesn't seem to work on '12+. I've read the owners manual and it doesn't even mention a second setting for esc. (Hold the button down in neutral for 5+ seconds) I've tried it it doesn't work. Can anyone confirm the switch hack will work?

This next question will tie in to the one above:
First mods will be flat fenders and 35's. I'll need a programmer to adjust the speedo. There are a lot to of programmers out there. Will any of them allow the capability of disabling the esc?
On a side note on controllers: if I buy one would I be able to use it on another vehicle simultaneously?

Thanks for the feedback. Nice to type instead of searching.
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-13-2015, 05:58 AM
Granite Guru

we are stuck with esc, tc, these tie in with abs system. Holding the button in for 5 seconds allows a little spinning but not much. Some have installed a switch on the purple wire under the center console to eliminate the esc with good luck. I think the newer the Jeep the more invasive these systems are. The EPA is making manufacturer's design these systems so they can't be defeated or you will get limp mode.

2014 JKU, red, 2.5" AEV lift,6.4L VVT, 35" Duratrac's. 4.10, Gen Right bumpers, VR 8000 winch, Pro Rock 44.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-13-2015, 07:01 AM
Granite Guru

Holding the switch works but you have to be in 4high...
As far as I can tell this makes the settings the same as 4low(mine is a Rubicon automatic, not sure if there is a difference).

When I first got mine (it's a 2012) I hated all this stuff. I often drive fast in the desert and it would make me crazy...

Now that I've had it a while and am used to it I am less bothered by it...IF it is in the 5 second setting.

I have read that the purple wire method does work on the 2012+ models.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-13-2015, 07:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

man. Another reason I don't hate my '11 w/ a 3.8l squirrel-powered pencil sharpener innit ; due to my bent sector shaft after this years 'Bounty Hill Run' , I have been usin' my kill switch that disables the ABS pump via relay switching the j6 fuse on or off ...using it for these past 3-4 months as I sort thru a busted steering gear box & while I put together my assisted steering system from the costly PSC steering gear down to the ram and mount to (hopefully) reclaim codeless performance again. I have to install everything but If i hadn't been able to run in what i refer to as ' 'big 37" tyred,scary as f*ck when wet, go-kart mode' -which I know is illegal, thanks - ( with the assists disabled) I wouldn't have been driving her at all.....I did not know 2012 and higher Pentastar's had more stringent ECU management which makes it tougher to bypass these......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-13-2015, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

So I did get it to turn of in 4hi, but can't in 2hi. No where in the manual does it even cover the second mode.
I'd be willing to put a hack in but just would like to hear from any other '15 owners that it works.

Also any feed back with programmers and esc?
post #6 of 7 Old 12-13-2015, 05:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jken View Post
So I did get it to turn of in 4hi, but can't in 2hi. No where in the manual does it even cover the second mode.
I'd be willing to put a hack in but just would like to hear from any other '15 owners that it works.

Also any feed back with programmers and esc?
I have the AEV one and it does NOT disable esc.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-14-2015, 07:22 AM
Rock God

Garage

This is what I learned about my ESC. Not sure if this will help in your decision. This is from my blog post on August 6, 2015 when I was reading my manual

ESC - Electronic Stability Control
Basically this system can tell which way you intend to drive, and if the vehicle's path is not going that way, it will apply the proper brakes to get you back on the right path.

This ECS system has 3 different modes you can control with a button on your control panel under the radio -- On, Partial Off and Full Off.

When you are in 4 high you want this system ON.

For the partial off mode the Traction Control System is disabled but not the Brake Limited Differential. You want to be in this mode if you are in deep sand, snow or gravel, and you need more wheel spin then would normally be allowed.

If you want ESC in Full Off you need to press and hold the switch for five seconds. This turns off the engine torque reduction, and the enhanced stability control. You will want to use this mode while off-highway or off-roading.
Now... if you forget to turn this system back on when you get back on the highway... it's okay... because the computer thinks for you. Once you hit 40 mph it automatically goes into partial off mode.

And good news again folks... No worries about pushing the button when you shift your Jeep into 4 low. The computer automatically knows to switch off the ESC to Full Off.

Tammy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode