Casting sand in engine - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 12-09-2015, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Casting sand in engine

Hello, I'm a newbie to the community. I bought my Jeep almost 4 years ago brand new from a dealer. I took it to the dealer a week ago to check why I didn't have any heat at all and my fan was running very loud. They discovered that casting sand was left in the engine and now had blocked the radiator and heating core. After a week Chrysler gave the dealer the ok to make repairs (replacing radiator, heating core, flush out engine). I know absolutely nothing about cars but I do know that sand + vibration = extremly abrasive action. I did some research online and what I read did not encourage me at all. There is talk about the engine needing to be replaced and that there will be ongoing problems with AC and heat. The dealer will not replace the engine at this point (it has 40,725 miles) and my Jeep is still waiting for parts after being at the dealership for a week.
I'm kindly asking for advice. I don't know where to go from here and it seems that the dealer just flagged me as a "difficult" customer because I want answers. I am a 105 lb small female so maybe they think they can push me around. Should I replace my Jeep? Has there been damage to my engine? What further complications will have? Should I ask for a new engine? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Wheeler

I would take it to someone you trust or ask around and find someone you trust to check it out for you. From personal experience with Chrysler with my jeep I wouldn't hold my breath in getting a new engine, which is what should of been done IMO. My transmission went out on my 2010 JKU at 59,000 miles. I thought the lifetime powertrain would cover it. I checked and mine did come with the lifetime powertrain but since I was not the original owner it was nontransferable to me. Then they went on to tell me that the transmission cooler from factory is pretty weak and really needs to be upgraded to a bigger one to prevent the transmission from over heating. Even after telling me all that they still stuck me with the bill and I'm not talking about a stealership, I'm talking Chrysler corporate. I even asked if they would pay for labor or something, no go. So I ended up with a jasper transmission, which IMO runs better than the stock transmission I had in it and my mechanic added a bigger transmission cooler to it as well. Total cost was $2700, and it came with a 3yr 100,000 mile warranty. I never thought about getting rid of it, I love it to much to do that.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-09-2015, 10:31 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinka26 View Post
Hello, I'm a newbie to the community. I bought my Jeep almost 4 years ago brand new from a dealer. I took it to the dealer a week ago to check why I didn't have any heat at all and my fan was running very loud. They discovered that casting sand was left in the engine and now had blocked the radiator and heating core. After a week Chrysler gave the dealer the ok to make repairs (replacing radiator, heating core, flush out engine). I know absolutely nothing about cars but I do know that sand + vibration = extremly abrasive action. I did some research online and what I read did not encourage me at all. There is talk about the engine needing to be replaced and that there will be ongoing problems with AC and heat. The dealer will not replace the engine at this point (it has 40,725 miles) and my Jeep is still waiting for parts after being at the dealership for a week.
I'm kindly asking for advice. I don't know where to go from here and it seems that the dealer just flagged me as a "difficult" customer because I want answers. I am a 105 lb small female so maybe they think they can push me around. Should I replace my Jeep? Has there been damage to my engine? What further complications will have? Should I ask for a new engine? Thank you!
What year is your JK?
2011? Could be casting sand.
2012? Not casting sand, as the blocks are die cast. In this case, it's something else, probably coolant related, or sealant related.

In either case, I would not think you need a new engine. Lots of people have had similar issues with no problems after the engine has been thoroughly flushed out. (It may take more than one flushing.)

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic

Last edited by ronjenx; 12-09-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 12-09-2015, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

It's 2012 model. The dealer told me that casting sand is the culprit.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinka26 View Post
It's 2012 model. The dealer told me that casting sand is the culprit.
Ask him if he knows what "Die Cast" means.

post #6 of 8 Old 12-09-2015, 07:50 PM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Google "cooling system sand jeep jk". It is not uncommon for early Pentastar JKs to have casting sand in the cooling system. I would only use the info found on JK-Forum for reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #7 of 8 Old 12-09-2015, 08:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
Google "cooling system sand jeep jk". It is not uncommon for early Pentastar JKs to have casting sand in the cooling system. I would only use the info found on JK-Forum for reference.
What is the source of the sand, when the block is die cast, no sand involved?

post #8 of 8 Old 12-10-2015, 04:10 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjenx View Post
What is the source of the sand, when the block is die cast, no sand involved?
I don't know, maybe the heads? Never really tried to figure out why it was just another reason I found to avoid buying a 2012 when I was researching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode