fan not going on - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 12-02-2015, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

fan not going on

today i noticed my jeep was hotter than usual, with the marker on the third mark, while it normally is right at the middle. i also noticed the fan didnt turn ON as always, not even with the marker at 3/4s of the gauge. it didnt go past the 3rd mark, maybe because the outside temp was about 45-50...

i had noticed the fan turned ON a lot, i even plan on installing hood louvers in the near future. 2 days ago, the fan remained ON for about 3 or 4 minutes after i parked the jeep.

so, where should i begin checking?? is there a fuse?? fan clutch?? thermostat?

thank you.

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-03-2015, 04:36 AM
Rock God

Garage

There a a few different reasons why a 2007 jk fan might not work, poor connections, burned out relays, bad sensors (usually not the cause) bad tipm.

This thread has some useful info:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...0/topics/93578
post #3 of 21 Old 12-03-2015, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx! very helpful link. i changed the fan relay using the rear defogger one. i also turned on the A/C and the fan didnt come ON as somebody in that post mentioned it should....

i also noticed the plastic container of engine coolant is empty again... yesterday i completely filled it, and today its empty.... i tried filling it with the hose, but its frozen, so i took a jug and fille it with it... this way i know it was missing one gallon.... i have to find out where its leaking, as theres no apparent leak, i cant see drops or anything.....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 12-04-2015, 03:00 AM
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via MSN to b1pig

i tested mine by smacking the motor with a board. it came on when i hit it. repeated this test three times. bought a used Spal fan off ebay. different model# than the popular one everyone was buying... but against the OEM spec, it seemed to be at least 5 amps less draw than stock so i bought it.

works like a champ. sounds like a freaking racing turboprop, but my junk doesnt run hot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 Ram 1500, '01 BMW R1100RT, '99 Fat Boy
needed: ̶b̶o̶a̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ plane
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-05-2015, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

well, i have tried to test my fan, but i cant make it work...

today when i got home i noticed steamcoming out of the grill, so i opened the hood and found out small bursts of water and steam was coming from the radiator cap. could this be the problem?? maybe a bad thermostat? i dont know where to start looking, i already replaced the relay, but thats about all i have done...

post #6 of 21 Old 12-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1pig View Post
i tested mine by smacking the motor with a board. it came on when i hit it. repeated this test three times. bought a used Spal fan off ebay. different model# than the popular one everyone was buying... but against the OEM spec, it seemed to be at least 5 amps less draw than stock so i bought it.

works like a champ. sounds like a freaking racing turboprop, but my junk doesnt run hot.
Would ya happen to recall what model Spal that is or anyway you'd grab it for us?
thnmks, b1pig!

post #7 of 21 Old 12-05-2015, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu2kill View Post
well, i have tried to test my fan, but i cant make it work...

today when i got home i noticed steamcoming out of the grill, so i opened the hood and found out small bursts of water and steam was coming from the radiator cap. could this be the problem?? maybe a bad thermostat? i dont know where to start looking, i already replaced the relay, but thats about all i have done...
it most certainly could; but it also does that to ventilate over heated coolant to some degree. But, if it is spewing forth coolant and hissing it needs to be replaced. I had my '11 JKUu cap go South at around 55k and replace it every three years now. it'd explain that your coolant was steam evaporating outta that deteriorating worn out cap spring, maybe? You have dried HOAT coolant spots all over around the power steering juice resi I am sure....and drip/river current paths all down thru the radiator bezel thing and spout....also could be the thermostat ? I am suprised you've had no codes or alerts on this but maybe I am missing knowledge....just letting ya know what I experienced...I didnt lose that much coolant or deal w/ excessive heat before catching it tho; i could smell it so knew something was amiss ( I smell my Jeeps all the time ....heh)

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 12-05-2015 at 06:59 PM. Reason: <I initially said temp guage but meant thermostat, derp>
post #8 of 21 Old 12-07-2015, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx. ill get a new cap today.

however, does that explains why the fan is not turning on??? i checked the fuse yesterday and it is OK.

so what would be the next part to check???

post #9 of 21 Old 12-07-2015, 06:50 AM
Granite Guru

first,
if you are filling your reservoir with water and it's freezing solid you might have cracked the plastic tank.
next,
if you have checked the fuse with a meter the next step is to replace the relay. if you look behind the drivers side headlight there is a relay screwed to the body. it's a very common relay and you can get them anywhere. I keep a spare in the glove box because I have burned up a few.
if that still doesn't fix the problem,
Does the fan come on at all? o is it only the high speed circuit not working?
if it doesn't come on at all you might want to check the fan. apply voltage to it and see if it spins.
post #10 of 21 Old 12-07-2015, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx,

i removed the plastic tank, filled it with water, and couldnt find any leak....

now, i found on another thread that the fan relay is the one labeled K11, which i replaced with K6, rear defogger according to the one who posted that pic...

and the fuse i checked is J19.

so, is there another relay for the fan??

and the fan is not coming on at all. whats the high speed circuit??

and, how can i apply voltage? can i just unplug it and put the battery directly to the plug?

post #11 of 21 Old 12-07-2015, 06:33 PM
Rock God

Garage

There is a relay for high speed behind the driver side headlight. There is a voltage divider on the right side fan shroud. Word on the street is that if it isn't the fan motor, the voltage divider, the tipm relay or the high speed relay, or frayed wires, it is likely the tipm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTech View Post
The low speed relay is in TIPM and the high speed relay is behind the driver headlight.

The resistor on the top of the shroud is the voltage divider, if it goes bad you usually lose low speed.

The high speed fan doesn't turn on till higher temps. The high speed fan is very noticeable by the noise generated. Turning the AC on while stopped will usually turn on the low speed fan and unplugging the 3 wire AC pressure sensor on the small line coming from the compressor will turn on the high speed fan.

It's not a good idea to run the AC if the low speed fan is out. The condenser pressure will rise rapidly reaching over 400 psi before the compressor is turned off by the PCM or the HSF kicks in. Also not having LSF will not allow fan speed to stage up creating a high amperage kick that will damage the connector at the HSF relay melting it.

A sealed fan is nice for deep water but I find the OE fan motor reliable under normal use. The voltage divider is a cheap way of getting two speeds from a single wound fan motor. Newer JK's have a variable speed fan.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-07-2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
There is a relay for high speed behind the driver side headlight. There is a voltage divider on the right side fan shroud. Word on the street is that if it isn't the fan motor, the voltage divider, the tipm relay or the high speed relay, or frayed wires, it is likely the tipm.
thanx, so ill check the relay behind the headlight, and then the motor. whats the voltage divider and how can i check it also??

im assuming the tipm relay is the one i already replaced, and the high speed relay is the one ill check behind the light, right??

and how can i check the tipm??

thank you!

post #13 of 21 Old 12-07-2015, 07:29 PM
Rock God

Garage

If the fan is not coming on for conditions which should command it, test that there is power going to the relay (motech has a post somewhere with amperage expected), if you have power in, check for power out.
If the tipm relay is good and the voltage divider bad, sometimes the fan will kick on at high speed. This sudden kick can melt the high speed relay.
The tipm relay is the one you replaced.
Dunno how you can test the actual tipm, i assume that if no power is being sent to the voltage divider after a known working tipm relay should be sending a signal then there is a problem.

Most of this is covered by more knowledgeable people on this site in other threads. Google image for locations if needed, but at least take a notebook, then search this site for fan relay or fan not working. Make notes of details and authors. If I had done that, I could be giving you way more assistance.
post #14 of 21 Old 12-07-2015, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx, ill do that tomorrow.

so, is there a way to "force" the fan ON, like turning on the AC maybe or something?? that way i could check for current on the relays and fuse, if i know the fan should be ON and not "expect" it to be on based on the temperature...

post #15 of 21 Old 12-07-2015, 07:58 PM
Rock God

Garage

Yes, and sometimes no... sort of.
The ac should command the fan, but I think it is based on condenser pressures, and other canbus black magic.
post #16 of 21 Old 12-07-2015, 08:59 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by coilrod View Post
Yes, and sometimes no... sort of.
The ac should command the fan, but I think it is based on condenser pressures, and other canbus black magic.
Pulling the connector off the A/C pressure sensor should force the fan to come on high.

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #17 of 21 Old 12-07-2015, 09:05 PM
Rock God

Garage

^ One of the more knowledgeable I referred to earlier. .. And I have nothing to add, good luck.
post #18 of 21 Old 12-08-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx for your input.

wheres the connector of the AC pressure sensor??

today in the morning i stoped by Autozone and replaced the cap. and in the afternoon, as i was getting home, the big hose that goes from the drivers side on top of the radiator to what i believe is the water pump or the thermstat, got loose due to pressure and all the water came out. fortunately i was one house away from my driveway, so i just let it cool, filled with water, and drove the 30 feet remaining to my house. the temp gauge was right at 3/4s, as it has been these past days. i didnt get any other light, not the high temp warning or anything.

i also found the relay behind the headlight, its not screwed to the body though, its just there. ill replace it and see what i can find...

post #19 of 21 Old 12-08-2015, 03:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu2kill View Post
thanx for your input.

wheres the connector of the AC pressure sensor??

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #20 of 21 Old 12-08-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

i just removed the relay located behind the headlight, and replaced the one for my aux lights with that one. the lights turn momentarily and then shut down. so im pretty sure this relay is not working. im heading to autozone right now to pick one up, hopefully this is the problem.

post #21 of 21 Old 12-08-2015, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx again everybody for your help, i think i have solved it now.

i replaced the relay behind the headlights with the one from my aux lights, and drove to the store. when i arrived, the fan was ON. i purchased 2 relays and drove back home. the temp never went past 1/2. so, im going to monitor it a little more, but as the fan turned ON for the first time in 3 or 4 days, and the relay i removed isnt working (as confirmed in the store with a voltmeter), i guess its fixed now.

again, thanx to everybody who took the time to help me solve my problem.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode