Oil Pan Armor - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-01-2015, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Oil Pan Armor

I just bought a 2014 JK Rubi and wanted to start to get some armor. I thought I would start off with the oil pan. I am leaning towards the EVO, but I wanted to see what everyone thought of how it attaches to the oil pan. Are there any disadvantages on one that attaches to the oil pan as opposed to one that covers it? Being attached to the pan does it make it weaker and prone to damage the pan if it gets caught on a rock?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-01-2015, 09:21 PM
Random Dude

My $.02 = go for a skid mounted to the chassis rather than the engine.
Your skid will let you slide semi-smoothly across a rock from the front diff to the crossmember or vice-versa.
Besides being less likely to hang up, a chassis-mounted skid won't transfer the load to your engine block or motor mounts if you slam down on it.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #3 of 13 Old 12-02-2015, 02:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
My $.02 = go for a skid mounted to the chassis rather than the engine.
Your skid will let you slide semi-smoothly across a rock from the front diff to the crossmember or vice-versa.
Besides being less likely to hang up, a chassis-mounted skid won't transfer the load to your engine block or motor mounts if you slam down on it.
I have the Evo oil pan and manual trans skid. With the two piece oil pan like the pentastar, I suspect that with the oil pan skid on there the new weak point is the aluminum pan housing between the small stamped steel pan and the actual bottom of the block. I can see that mid section cracking and leaking with a hard enough smack. At the end of the day, I am not sure how much more protected I feel with the oil pan skid. It kind of reminds me of the aluminum versus stamped steel wheel argument. In other words, you might be better off with a rash and a dent in your stamped oil pan than with a crack and a leak in the aluminum section.

The manual trans mount is nice and does not mount directly to the transmission so is somewhat more like what ExWrench describes.

My other skids are stock. I have scratched the phock out of the OEM transfer case and gas tank skids. The Evo engine and transmission skids are pristine except for the powder coat coming off near the oil pan drain plug cut out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 12-02-2015, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you both. I made mistakes when I built up my TJ and end up buying multiple things twice because I cheaped out. Just wanted to make sure I did it right the first time on this one.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-02-2015, 05:00 AM
DaK
Rock God

Will echo Exwrench's words, don't get one that bolts to the transmission all this will do is transfer the "shock" to the tranny and motor, something you want to avoid. This would be a good skid if you were just going to stick to fire roads but as most here will attest, it hardly ever ends there. My suggestion is to do some research into RockHard and the like skids. Are they expensive? Yeah but then again so was your Jeep. RH's CSR is excellent, any questions call 'em. If you have to save for a couple of paychecks so be it.

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/Jeep_Skid_Plates_s/214.htm
post #6 of 13 Old 12-02-2015, 05:35 AM

agree, go chassis mounted. I prefer steel to AL.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-02-2015, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

M.O.R.E. makes a really stout Engine oilpan/transmission skid that I run , attaches to the motor mounts and the transmission crossmember ( like that JCR pictured, albeit with more coverage area , it seems from that image) and has a fat internal rib/gusset for under $300. It takes serious abuse and I had it pay for itself within first month of ownership when I came down onto a rock that would have wrecked the exhaust crossover pipe, tranny pan and who knows what else. Worth every penny and easy to install.
I would not run one that connects to the actual oil or transmission pan, as mentioned.....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-02-2015, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks everyone. EVO is out. I will look at the other ones.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Granite Guru

I have a Kilby Enterprises skid. It's a pig at 51 lbs.
Let us know what you go with.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-02-2015, 02:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

I just installed the M.O.R.E. Oil pan/tranny skid plate from Extreme Terrain.
I hear good things about it. I will post on my blog tomorrow about the install.

Here's the install video

You can check out my post tomorrow it was a pretty easy install. However one bolt was too long and the engine mount bolts were tough to loosen. www.jeepmomma.com

Tammy
post #11 of 13 Old 12-03-2015, 01:41 AM
Rock God

I have been very happy with the Skid Row.

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-11-2015, 04:37 AM
Wheeler

very nice. it's something you have to learn that getting a skid is almost better than many upgrades because of on obstacle issues when wheeling...and the peace of mind
post #13 of 13 Old 12-14-2015, 06:59 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
M.O.R.E. makes a really stout Engine oilpan/transmission skid that I run , attaches to the motor mounts and the transmission crossmember ( like that JCR pictured, albeit with more coverage area , it seems from that image) and has a fat internal rib/gusset for under $300. It takes serious abuse and I had it pay for itself within first month of ownership when I came down onto a rock that would have wrecked the exhaust crossover pipe, tranny pan and who knows what else. Worth every penny and easy to install.
I would not run one that connects to the actual oil or transmission pan, as mentioned.....
Quick question, Are you worried about that gusset acting as an ax when you lay it on a rock. The gusset may slam into your transmission. Or am I overthinking this?

Obama's EPA just shut down your favorite ORV trail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode