louvers that really work?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 12-01-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

louvers that really work??

hey. i have been noticing the fan of my jeep turns on a lot... its a 2007 JKU, i already installed an aftermarket trans cooler, because i use it to tow a 18' bassboat a lot.

so, i want to install louvers to help reduce the heat inside the engine area.

i was thinking maybe these:

or these:

any pics of them installed?? and are they a considerable improvement??

thanx...

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 12-01-2015, 02:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've got a couple of buddy's that have the Poison Spyder one and they swear by it. I'm getting one for Christmas. Last September in Moab it was hot a few days and it would have really helped a lot.

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 36 Old 12-01-2015, 02:49 PM
Granite Guru

Love my Poison Spyder louver. I don't have actual temp numbers, but I can watch the heat rising out of the hood. Plus it just looks friggin cool.

08 JKUR

Just an asshole with a Jeep....

Rancho+AEV+Rubicon Express+Rock Krawler+Synergy+Warn,+Rough Country+Cobra+Banks+Magnaflow+Superchips+Bestop+Po ison Spyder+EVO+G2+Mopar+Yukon+WTO+Level 8+Coopers+garage wontons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 Old 12-01-2015, 04:44 PM
JKowners Vendor

Posion spyder one with a fan installed
Attached Images

post #5 of 36 Old 12-01-2015, 06:12 PM
JKO Addict!

I need to do some louvers as well and am thinking about the genrights too. PS looks good but it has a logo and I am concerned about the rivets at the back of the hood, near the edge.

I am thinking a genright 3 piece is perfect, the one with the smaller, more square looking louvers.

hoodlouvers.com also has some nice sets and even a few models that don't need riveting. They are stick on. That and you can get color matched rivets anyway from them.

The fan is a nifty idea that I have read about as well. Not sure if it will clear the blower in my case and I am not even sure if the end result is worth the time or capital investment beyond just installing a set of louvers themselves. Have not seen any posts where underhood temps were monitored with and without the fan on.
post #6 of 36 Old 12-01-2015, 06:30 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post
I need to do some louvers as well and am thinking about the genrights too. PS looks good but it has a logo and I am concerned about the rivets at the back of the hood, near the edge.

I am thinking a genright 3 piece is perfect, the one with the smaller, more square looking louvers.

hoodlouvers.com also has some nice sets and even a few models that don't need riveting. They are stick on. That and you can get color matched rivets anyway from them.

The fan is a nifty idea that I have read about as well. Not sure if it will clear the blower in my case and I am not even sure if the end result is worth the time or capital investment beyond just installing a set of louvers themselves. Have not seen any posts where underhood temps were monitored with and without the fan on.
Poison Spider doesn"t use use rivets....they use screws....

07 2 Dr White Rubi, 6spd

Linexed tub
EVO Rear Bumper Fascia
Poison Spyder Boby Mounted Tire Carrier
Matercraft grab handles
M.O.R.E. 1" BL
Shrockworks midwidth w/ winch hoop / Linexed
Warn 9.5TI / Spidertrax fairlead / Viking trail line
Marathon Seat covers
PC 8179's 15x10
Toyo MT 37x14.50x15
Shrockworks sliders
EVO C2 Gussets
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
Coil Overs Front/rear
12" rear stretch
River Raider stretch corners
Smittybilt XRC front enders
post #7 of 36 Old 12-01-2015, 07:03 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by White13JKUR View Post

I can't say much from temperature differences with or without a fan but there is a large amount of hot air flowing through the vent with the fan on I have to imagine the extra airflow helps
post #8 of 36 Old 12-01-2015, 08:45 PM
Granite Guru

I have the same front louver section as your photo (purchased from Synergy). I don't think it makes a bit of difference, but looks kinda cool and doesn't look like every other jeep on the road with a PS louver panel. The fan turning on is not a problem - Jeep put it in there to do a job, not as dead weight. Do whatever you think looks good and fits in your expendable budget (just like an air intake).
post #9 of 36 Old 12-01-2015, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx for your input.

im not getting the louver for the looks, but for the heat reduction. of course i want them to look good, but the main purpose is reduce the heat in there.

i dont really like the poison spider ones, i think they are too big. i prefer the smaller ones (assuming they do serve their intended purpose), either the 3 or 5 piece, or the 2 longer ones on the sides... but i want to make sure they do reduce the heat some before purchasing...

i hadnt seen the small fan but that looks like a good idea as well...

post #10 of 36 Old 12-01-2015, 09:36 PM
Granite Guru

This is what Ill be getting as finances allow. Check out how it mounts. I was waiting for someone to do it this way FOREVER... Less hardware to have issues with and a great template(apparently, from research Ive done.)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13106_603X_PG.htm
post #11 of 36 Old 12-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangbuster View Post
This is what Ill be getting as finances allow. Check out how it mounts. I was waiting for someone to do it this way FOREVER... Less hardware to have issues with and a great template(apparently, from research Ive done.)
http://www.quadratec.com/products/13106_603X_PG.htm
Asshole! I think you just spent my money for me.

But seriously, I've been looking for years at pieces like the Synergys, but hoping for a 1-pc without a big-assed logo cutout.
IMHO, the flush studs put this one above the other contenders - that's fookin' clean!
I'll have to research further, but that looks like the current winner in "the louver race in my head".

Thanks for making my clueless ass aware of that seemingly-killer USA-made option.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #12 of 36 Old 12-02-2015, 01:34 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
Asshole! I think you just spent my money for me.

But seriously, I've been looking for years at pieces like the Synergys, but hoping for a 1-pc without a big-assed logo cutout.
IMHO, the flush studs put this one above the other contenders - that's fookin' clean!
I'll have to research further, but that looks like the current winner in "the louver race in my head".

Thanks for making my clueless ass aware of that seemingly-killer USA-made option.
Ditto. That one found its way onto my short list as well and for the same reasons cited by Ex. The included template is nice too and probably a requirement with the studs built into the panel and pointing down.
post #13 of 36 Old 01-04-2016, 09:40 AM
Wheeler

Garage

I love my Poison Spyder louver. You definitely can see it's working.

Follow Smokey's build, adventures & more:

Black 2009 JKX (3.8L, auto, 3.73)
285/70/17 Goodyear Duratracs │ Level 8 Trackers │ Teraflex 1.5" leveling kit │ Crawler Conceptz Ultra Series F/R bumpers │ Poison Spyder hood louver │ Poison Spyder evap skid │ Teraflex sway bar disconnects │ Rigid D2 HLs │ GenSSi rock lights │ Cobra 75 WX ST │ Spiderweb Shade │ Some other stuff ...
post #14 of 36 Old 01-11-2016, 11:00 AM
Rock God

PSC works greta on my TJ, definitely a good amount of temp drop. Whatever JK I do now will have a PSC setup; clean install and effective.

post #15 of 36 Old 01-11-2016, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu2kill View Post
hey. i have been noticing the fan of my jeep turns on a lot... its a 2007 JKU, i already installed an aftermarket trans cooler, because i use it to tow a 18' bassboat a lot.

so, i want to install louvers to help reduce the heat inside the engine area.

i was thinking maybe these:

or these:

any pics of them installed?? and are they a considerable improvement??

thanx...
it's not the best picture but one where my lean into a turn is displaying the hood well-enough to see what you have asked for...minus the 3 louver panels in the middle, of course,heh. This is the 14" Synergy Louvers that were - alonmg w/ aux tranny cooler - the first things I modded. A black JK in the Middle Southeastern US? You can literally see potential heatsoak-hot-as-f*ck air billowing out of the thing in July. You need not ask if they reduce temp in that bay and aid in maintaining reasonable temps for the motor. they do just that. I do not think you can get these but GenRight has the exact same thing I am thinkin*.... prep your area, tape, measure 4 thousand times and cut once and sure handed & you'll be golden. that kit has 3 more large cuts to f*ck-up than mine. Trust me , the Credit Union was still owning my '11 when I did that mod so it was an eye-opener. used special black tempered allenhead button No. 8 nut and bolts. I used a gasket I cut out of that gray rubbber sheet for lining showers before you install the fiberglass shell of them. lock tighted and they havent budged or rusted, just pumped heat I don't need outta my engine bay. plus i think they look the tits.....

<*edit: ask Marcus on this Forum & from RiverCity Offroad what's goin' down with some louvers, if you buy some based upon this and your decision.>

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 01-12-2016 at 05:51 AM. Reason: add URL for GenRight louvers
post #16 of 36 Old 02-05-2016, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx! i got the Gen Right 3 piece set, and im almost ready to cut.

just one more question. with what did you paint the cut edges to prevent them from rusting??

and, the Gen Right kit comes with rives, should i use them or it is better to use nuts and bolts??

post #17 of 36 Old 02-05-2016, 01:59 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:

just one more question. with what did you paint the cut edges to prevent them from rusting??

and, the Gen Right kit comes with rives, should i use them or it is better to use nuts and bolts??
I think I just used black primer, its hidden up top anyway for under the hood I used the black primer and then some satin black rattle

hardware is up to you... my stainless buttonheads that came with my synergy kit are rusted to shit.. for the record, rivets i used to mount my tramp stamp are also rusted. Aluminum rivets I used for my plate still look good though

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #18 of 36 Old 02-08-2016, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:

MOPARŪ 1/2 oz Hard Top Paint Pen {mine is black so used code PX8. ) you can use any paint since it wont be seen, generally...the high-heat rustoleum would work as would a paint-pen sharpee...

post #19 of 36 Old 02-08-2016, 11:50 AM
JKowners Vendor

I just spray painted everything black with high temperature paint
Attached Images

post #20 of 36 Old 02-10-2016, 06:25 PM
Wheeler

I got a pair of louvers off eBay years ago and recently installed them in my JKs hood. I can see the heat coming out sitting at redlights
Attached Images

post #21 of 36 Old 02-10-2016, 08:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
You can also get exact match rattle cans at O'riely. One of those mobile bumper repair dudes sprayed my rugged ridge plastic half doors with a couple of coats of exact match white and a couple of more coats of clear. I had to chase his work with some wet sanding and meguiars but it came out cherry and they are well matched. but white is easy to match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayjeeper83 View Post
I got a pair of louvers off eBay years ago and recently installed them in my JKs hood. I can see the heat coming out sitting at redlights
Those actually look good. Unique. More pics please. If you have the time and don't mind, pics of the underside would be cool too.
post #22 of 36 Old 02-11-2016, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

^X2
are they off another auto or truck 'eBay' or an item sold on eBay new? I've not seen those but they are remenescent of those HotLouver or whatever the Ad is that that's been in the back of JP Magazine forever ....more picts'd be cool; those are different!

post #23 of 36 Old 02-11-2016, 10:42 AM
Wheeler

I bought these probably 10+ yrs ago and between a divorce, multiple break ups and moves Ive managed to keep them lol. If I remember correctly they came off a snow mobile. I looked at some of the name brand stuff but decided this was more my style, a complete one off. They aren't a perfect fit due to a curve on the long side but I was able to get the hood to come up a touch and it doesn't look all that bad, you have to look close to see the gaps. You can see the gap on the right side vent on either side of the bolt on the long side. Ive thought about running a bead of black silicone there just to make it blend in better.

I had to cut into the main support but I made sure not to cut it completely and just bent it out of the way. I don't have any hood flutter so I think its fine lol

post #24 of 36 Old 03-03-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx everyone for your input.

today we began installing them, finally. i got the 3 piece long set from genright.

we are going to paint the sides with either hightemp spray, or the small touchup paint, the one like nail polish you get from autozone, i have a black bottle from when i had a black jeep, so im not going to use it anymore.

we marked it with masking tape to square everything:

then we removed the hood, removing the inside nuts to avoid marking the hood or missaligning it.

then we began cutting with a 4 1/2 grinder and cutting disk:

we cut only the sheet metal, without compromising the supports. the hood is glued to them as you can see:

we are using the rivets that came with the kit....

just one question, do you reinstall the carpet, liner, thing, that goes under the hood?? or should i remove it to allow for more air flow??

Last edited by shu2kill; 03-03-2016 at 02:16 PM.
post #25 of 36 Old 03-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Random Dude

Good looking installation! I dig the tape layout - I may have to steal that trick.

Quote:
just one question, do you reinstall the carpet, liner, thing, that goes under the hood?? or should i remove it to allow for more air flow??
IMHO, throw that insulation away or store it, but do not reinstall it.

All you lose is a bit of sound deadening and insulation (the enemy of shedding heat).

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode