2010 Spun bearing - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 12-01-2015, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

2010 Spun bearing

Hello,

New to the forum and hope someone can assist. Bought my wife a 2010 JK (stock) with 80 thousand miles on it. Flushed the motor and have been running Amsoil signature series 20W in it since we had the vehicle. One day I hear the wife idling in the driveway and immediately notice the rod clanking. JC. This PoS spun a bearing or thrust bearing let go? at 90K and has been in the shop for over a month. Chrysler ordered a new long block and they are putting it in on their dime since it had the 100K warranty. I guess my question is what can be done to keep this pos from grenading again? OCI @6K. Seem like running signature series is a waste of money since you have to change the oil so often! Not hating on it. but nothing like my old cj5! I suggested to the wife we just lift it a couple inches throw some tires and douchebag light bar and sell it. Also wondering if the new motor needs any breakin period? It is a brand new long block not a rebuilt (I assume). Have the pictures from the dealership that they sent to the manufacturer to get a new motor if anyone is interested. Thanks!

Last edited by iamatt; 12-01-2015 at 05:46 AM. Reason: 20w not 30.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-01-2015, 06:30 AM
Granite Guru

Not much can be done really. It's a throwaway motor for Chrysler. They spin bearings, it's what they do. 505 performance apparently has something figured out to make the bottom end for durable for their stroker kit, but I have no idea exactly what they've done. Regardless, Chrysler is going to rebuild yours to stock spec. Keep up with your oil changes and hope it lasts longer than 90k this time.

08 JKUR

Just an asshole with a Jeep....

Rancho+AEV+Rubicon Express+Rock Krawler+Synergy+Warn,+Rough Country+Cobra+Banks+Magnaflow+Superchips+Bestop+Po ison Spyder+EVO+G2+Mopar+Yukon+WTO+Level 8+Coopers+garage wontons
post #3 of 12 Old 12-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Not much can be done really. It's a throwaway motor for Chrysler. They spin bearings, it's what they do.
Yeah, my POS "throwaway motor" only has 144,000 miles...guess I should take it out this weekend before something goes wrong with it

OP, you bought the Jeep used (so you have NO idea how it has been treated) & FCI is putting a motor in it on their dime.... sounds like a win to me...

There are MANY of us on here with well over 100k on our "throwaway motors"
(there's a thread with many posts somewhere).... keep up with the req'd maintenance and enjoy the crap out of it... Easy Peasy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamatt View Post
Hello,

New to the forum and hope someone can assist. Bought my wife a 2010 JK (stock) with 80 thousand miles on it. Flushed the motor and have been running Amsoil signature series 20W in it since we had the vehicle. One day I hear the wife idling in the driveway and immediately notice the rod clanking. JC. This PoS spun a bearing or thrust bearing let go? at 90K and has been in the shop for over a month. Chrysler ordered a new long block and they are putting it in on their dime since it had the 100K warranty. I guess my question is what can be done to keep this pos from grenading again? OCI @6K. Seem like running signature series is a waste of money since you have to change the oil so often! Not hating on it. but nothing like my old cj5! I suggested to the wife we just lift it a couple inches throw some tires and douchebag light bar and sell it. Also wondering if the new motor needs any breakin period? It is a brand new long block not a rebuilt (I assume). Have the pictures from the dealership that they sent to the manufacturer to get a new motor if anyone is interested. Thanks!
What did "Flushing" the motor entail?
post #5 of 12 Old 12-01-2015, 05:20 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDK59 View Post
Yeah, my POS "throwaway motor" only has 144,000 miles...guess I should take it out this weekend before something goes wrong with it
Good idea. Take lots of pics as you go.

Whether you're willing to admit it or not, it's a garbage motor. Sure, lots of them have lots of miles on them, but the fact of the matter is they have a high rate (higher than most modern engines) of failure on relatively low mileage rigs. There has definitely been enough of them now for us to recognize they are not a good motor.

Other than regular maintenance, there is nothing you can do but hope it lasts. That was his question, and that was my answer.

08 JKUR

Rancho+AEV+Rubicon Express+Rock Krawler+Synergy+Warn,+Rough Country+Cobra+Banks+Magnaflow+Superchips+Bestop+Po ison Spyder+EVO+G2+Mopar+Yukon+WTO+Level 8+Coopers+garage wontons
post #6 of 12 Old 12-01-2015, 10:00 PM
Rock God

I've stopped using their signature series and switched to the XL just so I have the piece of mind it's constantly getting fresh fluids.
I could care less about my Prius so it gets the signature series and gets yearly oil changes.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-02-2015, 04:28 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
Not much can be done really. It's a throwaway motor for Chrysler. They spin bearings, it's what they do. 505 performance apparently has something figured out to make the bottom end for durable for their stroker kit, but I have no idea exactly what they've done. Regardless, Chrysler is going to rebuild yours to stock spec. Keep up with your oil changes and hope it lasts longer than 90k this time.
Here's the article from FourWheeler on what exactly 505 Performance does, and the specifics behind the rod bearings.

"There’s a lot of hype about the JK engine spinning bearings, and here’s why: In a normal engine, the bearings have wedge-shaped design. On the 3.8L, they are moon-shaped, kind of like a keyway on a T-case. That means that if you get it really hot and the rod caps expand, the bearings will spin. That results in oil starvation to the rod bearings. So, 505 cured this by using more regular-shaped bearings with the wedge-shaped retainers."

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...v6-jk-bumping/
post #8 of 12 Old 12-02-2015, 01:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Most likely the previous owner ran it low on oil. Another contributing factor on those engines is the characteristic dry start condition. Repeated dry starts have a cumulative effect on bearing wear, and of all the internal components needing oil pressure the rod bearings get the worst of it. I also wouldn't recommend using 5w-20 oil in the 3.8L. I know what the oil fill cap & manual says, but the engine was designed 25 years ago to run on 10w-30. Sneaky Mopar recommends 10w30 on their remanufactured 3.8s.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

'09 JKRU. 4" Teraflex long arm, Teraflex R44 housing, Teraflex / Fox Resis, Poly Performance skids, Nemesis Billy Rockers, Nemesis flares, 37" ATZ P3s on 17" 5x5.5" Trailready HDs, Spyntec hubs, Teraflex BBK, Mopar BBK master/booster, Superior front & Alloy USA rear axle shafts, CTMs, Reids, Synergy drag link & tie rod, WTOR hydro-boosted steering, 5.38s, TF Dual Rate front bar, TF bumpers, Warn Powerplant, Tom Woods shafts, AA xfer case cable, Kilby canister relo, RH4x4 cage.

Last edited by SoK66; 12-04-2015 at 09:02 AM.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-02-2015, 03:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

hey you got lucky minr spun a bearing at 70 something, mine was due to massive oil consumption though

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #10 of 12 Old 12-02-2015, 07:23 PM
Granite Guru

My first engine spun the rod bearings at 11k miles. It was replaced under warranty with a short block. All the mainence had been done at recommended intervals by the dealer. The rod bearings spun again 14k miles later. It again was replaced by the dealer under warranty(long block this time). The new engine had stickers on it from Mopar saying it was a remanufactured engine. I drove it home from the dealer and immediately pulled it out and sold it. I'm now running a LS engine.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbiv View Post
Here's the article from FourWheeler on what exactly 505 Performance does, and the specifics behind the rod bearings.

"There’s a lot of hype about the JK engine spinning bearings, and here’s why: In a normal engine, the bearings have wedge-shaped design. On the 3.8L, they are moon-shaped, kind of like a keyway on a T-case. That means that if you get it really hot and the rod caps expand, the bearings will spin. That results in oil starvation to the rod bearings. So, 505 cured this by using more regular-shaped bearings with the wedge-shaped retainers."

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/en...v6-jk-bumping/
Cool, I just learned something new. Thanks.

08 JKUR

post #12 of 12 Old 12-19-2015, 05:45 PM
Granite Guru

I have heard just as many anecdotal stories about high mileage 3.8's as I have low mileage failures. This, in addition to the fact the people are far more likely to post complaints than they are to post compliments, would lead me to believe that the 3.8 is not a garbage engine. My impression is backed by knowledge of repair rates for the various FCA platforms. (15 years at Mopar corporate.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode